Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Garmin edge 305 navigation questions
  • ace_sparky
    Free Member

Just looking at this a useful training tool for next year but I have a question for other 305 users about the navigation features.

I understand that the 305 has basic point to point navigation much like the Garmin GPS60 I already have but if I am reading the 305 manual right it can only store a small and limited number of waypoints per route.

I have seen others using edge 305’s at events such as HoNC, how are you able to navigate a downloaded route such as this which has a vast ammount of waypoints?

Navigating routes like HoNC with my GPS60 was easy as it is able to store routes of about 500 waypoints (I think!)

JustGoRide
    Free Member

You can save the route as a course and it will fit on quite nicely.

You can do this on http://www.justgoride.co.uk by uploading the route gpx file and then downloading it back onto your 305 via usb.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Thanks, thought it might be something like that, can the 305 interface with memory map?

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Also forgot to ask, how do you navigate using a route? Does it just continually follow similar to navigating a track?

Sorry for the dumb sounding questions, cheers.

JustGoRide
    Free Member

I’m not actually sure that memory map can save a track as a course file, which is essentially a gpx file which saves the route as a course as opposed to a track. You could draw the track on memory map and then export it as a gpx and either translate it in gps babel or by using justgoride. You could also plot your routes using os maps on justgoride.

The navigation on a 305 will be a simple follow the line affair due to the lack of detailed maps, although that’s how it works on my 705 essentially, just with a bit more detail. I’ve successfully navigated with a 205 before with no issues.

sockpuppet

MM doesn’t offer .crs as an option, at least V5 seems not to, but you can save the routes as gpx and convert as mentioned above, with justgoride or something simple like gpx2crs.

i add my .crs files no with training centre – the only thing i still use that for!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty much as above, does anyone know how to add turn left/turn right instructions to a .crs file? Mine seems to have them at random on some previously saved routes.

JustGoRide
    Free Member

The direction instructions are not actually part of .crs file but in fact part of the garmins where to function, which reads the file giving the notifications. The crs file is part of Garmins training function – meant more as a course to train on, although I find it the easiest way to navigate a route. On more then on occasion my 705’s ‘Where to’ function has gone a little crazy and deviated my route onto the road!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Garmin edge 305 navigation questions’ is closed to new replies.