Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin Edge 200
  • wors

How is it for following the breadcrumb trails? I’ll be using it on the road bike.

ta

ahwiles
    Free Member

s’alright – i like it.

now and then, if the turn you’re looking for is more of a subtle ‘fork’, it can be hard to tell if you need to turn off or not, but you’ll get a warning bleep if you get it wrong, you just need to turn around.

clubber
    Free Member

I had an etrex H which did the breadcrumb thing (eg just a dotted trail, no map) and I found it worked well – I did various events/rides with it and the only issues I ever had was if a trail forked and both forks went in very similar directions to start but you quickly realise that you took the wrong one if you did.

I do have a mapping one now though as I like being able to see what’s around where I ride but it’s definitely not a necessity.

GavinB

I find it great. Set the routes as tcx, select use course point warnings (on Bikeroutetoaster at any rate), and it will warn you of a turn. You can then switch the screen to other information, and it will pop up with the turn, or follow the breadcrumb trail.

The main/obvious limitation is when you have a complex junction. It’s not clear exactly ‘which’ turn you need to take. As a basic GPS for road use, I like it.

bokonon
    Free Member

Agree with the above, pretty good for simple directions, much quicker than stopping to check the map. Battery life is good, and it turns the back light on and off automatically, which is a bonus.

iainc

aye, mine was good. I ‘upgraded’ to a 500 when they were on a deal at Amazon, but I preferred the 200 !

wors

much quicker than stopping to check the map.

That’s one of the main reasons for getting it, bugs me having to stop to check my phone/map.

zilog6128

How is it for following the breadcrumb trails? I’ll be using it on the road bike.

Excellent for this use – did loads of road riding last year with mine (got an 800 now). Just make sure you use route software that does turn-by-turn and save as TCX. As long as you don’t need to deviate from the route it is great (if you do then you’re screwed!)

IanW
    Free Member

Great, plan in Garmin connect, save to device, ride.

IanW
    Free Member

Actually..only time I got caught out was off road using the “back to start” feature which goes back along the same route travelled as opposed to giving a direct direction indicator.

ahwiles
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member

As long as you don’t need to deviate from the route it is great (if you do then you’re screwed!)

but you do get a handy ‘you’re meant to be over there >> you muppet’ arrow, pointing roughly in the direction of the nearest point on-course.

(this has been useful – when i’ve got myself a bit lost, and have temporarily misplaced my pocket sextant)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 200’ is closed to new replies.