Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Garmin Edge 1000 or new 820
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Which you you go for and why? Prices are similar at the moment. Primary use will be for road riding.

RoterStern
    Free Member

AFAIK the 820 has no SD card slot which means you csn only use the Gramin internal maps. That is enough for me to go for the 1000. The 820 screen is the same size as the 810 which is a bit too small for map reading while on the fly which is another good reason to go for the 1000. The only thing against the 1000 is it is a bit bulkier.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1000, would’ve been useless without the SD card slot to load OS maps on.
    Map reading on the fly is ok on the 1000… when you can find it on the menu option! Not exactly user friendly are they? ‘TRAIN’ or ‘RACE’? Neither! Just bloody ride!

golo
    Free Member

820 has the space to install additional maps – look up Talkytoaster.

I’m with Roter and much prefer the bigger screen to drag the map around and plan my route on the fly.

I’m sure I read on DC Rainmaker that all the 820 features would be coming to the 1000 in a software update (eventually). The one I liked was group tracking and until that’s in common use (adding 520 and 1000 via updates) it’s as much use as a choccy teapot so no real advantage now.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I went for the 820 because of the size and battery life. No SD card slot but quite a bit of internal memory to load maps to if you want, I’m finding the Garmin map very good. Get the 1000 if you want the bigger screen

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1000, would’ve been useless without the SD card slot to load OS maps on.

Curious. I’d assume it’s because they’ve beefed up the internal memory on the 820 sufficiently so you don’t need an SD card?

‘TRAIN’ or ‘RACE’? Neither! Just bloody ride!

Just delete them and add a “Just bloody ride” option 🙂

I reckon if you’re touring then the bigger screen on the 1000 would be pretty useful. I’d go for the more compact 820 though.

The 820 screen is the same size as the 810

May be smaller but is it a better quality screen?

Edit… 810 was 160×240, 820 is 200×265, so a higher resolution screen. Does look a fair bit sharper.

Edge 1000 is 240×400.

Dibbs
    Free Member

It’s smaller.

Rubber_Buccaneer

820 screen is the same size as the 520. Plenty big enough for everything except browsing the map

leffeboy

1000 battery life can be a bit pants if you have the map up and backlight on all the time. I believe the battery life on the 820 is improved but the screen size on the 1000 is a winner for me. Just leave it on a data screen until you need the map to get much better battery life

DezB
    Free Member

Was just thinking that MrB – only going by “which means you can only use the Grarmin internal maps.” – after posting I thought the thing has internal memory.

Can you change the menu? That would be brilliant, must investigate.

The 1000 isn’t that big! I had it on my bars, as the stem’s too short and it didn’t budge. Wouldn’t want a smaller screen for following OS maps that’s fer sher.

DezB
    Free Member

1000 battery life can be a bit pants if you have the map up and backlight on all the time

Mine lasted 4 hours and the battery level indicator had hardly moved. Had seen previous discussion about battery and wondered what it was all about.

leffeboy

Did you have a data screen up or the map? With data screen you get 12 hours plus easily, with map, autobrightness and backlight on all the time it can be down to 5. It’s just a case of picking settings to match how long you will be using it for

leffeboy

On maps, the 1000 comes with OSM maps for Europe built in. There is still space to add your own OSM maps if you like (I have done it already) but the Garmin version is quite good really so I tend not to bother any more unless I need something that is very up to date for some reason

golo
    Free Member

@ DezB not sure what you were referring to about menus to read the map. Can you explain more?

DezB
    Free Member

4 hours with OS map and autobrightness.

Do the inbuilt maps cover offroad? As I say, didn’t find the thing very user friendly and couldn’t find decent maps on it, so bought OS.

Menus – yeah, as previously – just Train or Race options. There’s nothign to say “show map” unless you’re following a previously created route. Found it was a little arrow at the bottom of the screen to take me to the map. Simple, but not obvious! Then I’m following the map and occasionally the map would disappear to show me how far behind schedule (who’s schedule!!?) I was for a section. Quite annoying.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I don’t know about anyone else’s experience but I’m finding the battery life on the 820 to be pretty poor so far.

golo
    Free Member

It’s smaller.[/quote]
    But higher res and easier to read – especially maps.

njee20
    Free Member

1000 for my money. Battery life is fine – was out for 7 hours the other day with the map on, using various sensors (including Di2 and power) and it used 69%, which was exactly the same as a friend’s 810 (who wasn’t using Di2). If you’re doing a 10 hour+ ride then just use a back up battery. It’s just a bit of a non-issue IMO.

The OSM maps are good, IMO the OS ones are completely useless for actually navigating, although they look pretty.

Not used an 820, but I can’t fault the 1000.

DezB
    Free Member

(My prev post edited)

OS maps useless for navigating? I did have a paper map of my route, but following the OS map on-screen was perfect.
    Gutted if I’ve spent £40 on it pointlessly though!

njee20
    Free Member

I just found the resolution terrible at a reasonable zoom level, totally impossible to follow. OSM are far sharper at higher zoom levels. If you’re happy with them then no problem, don’t worry!

Edit: see screenshots of 1:50k OS on my 1000 at the bottom of the page here.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Menus – yeah, as previously – just Train or Race options. There’s nothign to say “show map” unless you’re following a previously created route. Found it was a little arrow at the bottom of the screen to take me to the map. Simple, but not obvious! Then I’m following the map and occasionally the map would disappear to show me how far behind schedule (who’s schedule!!?) I was for a section. Quite annoying.

Just set up another activity profile (like Train and Race) but that only has the map screen. The schedule will likely be part of the route file you’re following (routes can include speed data.)

golo
    Free Member

Curious. I’d assume it’s because they’ve beefed up the internal memory on the 820 sufficiently so you don’t need an SD card?[/quote]
    The OS maps have some cunning copy protection that ties their use to a particular mini SD card. I wish they would find a way to get maps into device memory so I could have 1:25000 for MTB rather than 1:50000 which is OK but not great. That would require some kind of DRM though and given Garmin’s rather shaky history on speed of feature release and software quality, I’m not so sure that would worth holding out for.

The 16GB of memory in the 820 will take very detailed maps that go beyond the vanilla OSM. TalkyToaster adds OS like features – better graphics and contours being the main thing. His subscriptions seem pretty reasonable. If you can’t afford to spring for the 1000 and an OS card then his are the best way to go for off road mapping.

Unless you get the new OS Maps app on your phone and subscribe. They are fantastic.

leffeboy

Do the inbuilt maps cover offroad? As I say, didn’t find the thing very user friendly and couldn’t find decent maps on it, so bought OS.

Yep. covers offroad

There’s nothign to say “show map” unless you’re following a previously created route.

Just press the Start button (bottom right) or click on the ‘Ride’ button at the top of the screen to go to the ride screens. Then if all you see is a data screen then swipe right to see a map

Personally I go for the mrblobby option and set up another activity profile that only has a map.

But yes, the menu system isn’t obvious and requires the modern thing of just messing around until you work it out. Once you get it I really like it but it’s a bit of a mess to start

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks chaps!

See what you mean njee- just a matter of learning a new map style.

and mrB. I’ll try that 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Or get Dura Ace Di2 and use the button in the top of the STI to take you to the map! 🙂

golo
    Free Member

@Dez I may have misread what you have said but…

You can just turn on the map screen in any profile. You just slide to the map page and can do that whether you’re actually recording or not (just tap on the activity from the home screen and it brings up the activity pages). On the map screen tap the circle in the top middle and it all becomes draggable.

@Neej20

On map quality there’s an annoying trade off. OS Maps are plain bitmaps so it’s like zooming in or out of a paper print. It’s a richer data source but can be cluttered and definitely has an optimum zoom. OSM seem to be a vector so stay crispy as you zoom in/out. This is where TalkyToaster can trump OS.

@leffe

Yep. covers offroad[/quote]

Just not with much useful detail though which is why I like the TalkyToaster chap’s work.

njee20
    Free Member

On map quality there’s an annoying trade off. OS Maps are plain bitmaps so it’s like zooming in or out of a paper print. It’s a richer data source but can be cluttered and definitely has an optimum zoom. OSM seem to be a vector so stay crispy as you zoom in/out. This is where TalkyToaster can trump OS

Yep, the problem I have is that around here where there are many paths it becomes near impossible to distinguish between them to know which one to follow. If you’re happy with +/-0.1 miles then I get OS are fine. I’m happy with roads and trails being marked, and thus personally find ‘vanilla’ OSM more than adequate, much else is just noise. Can see why Talky Toaster could be good though. Can see why contours would be nice if you’re navigating in the wilds of Scotland, for example.

Personally I’ve used mine for the SDW and for a couple of local rides on bridleways, for which OSM was faultless.

leffeboy

Just not with much useful detail though which is why I like the TalkyToaster chap’s work.

Fair enough, I’ll go take a look – it could be interesting. I normally use openmtbmap.org maps if I really need detail but it the comparison could be interesting

Rubber_Buccaneer

A very big difference between the OS maps I used on my 800 and the Garmin OSM maps that come in the 820 are the OSM maps are routable. The 820 can generate left, right, etc instructions for me so long as I’m using the trail network. A massive plus for me.

zilog6128

AFAIK the 820 has no SD card slot which means you csn only use the Gramin internal maps.

Not the case, simply mount the 820 on your computer and load maps on that way.

I don’t know about anyone else’s experience but I’m finding the battery life on the 820 to be pretty poor so far.

Have you got auto-brightness on? Makes a big difference IME. As does not having the map screen on all the time.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Have you got auto-brightness on? Makes a big difference IME. As does not having the map screen on all the time.

I’ll have to double check the brightness as I’m not sure.
    The map screen doesn’t get used much so far.

DezB
    Free Member

Best thread evah! *deletes ‘for sale’ ad* 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Disappointed at lack of cheap 820’s in the classified forum 🙁 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

LOL :D……Honest, This was a 100% genuine question, I guarentee I have no Garmin to sell. In fact, the last Garmin GPS I had was a eTrex Legend (remember them?).

golo
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer
    [quote]A very big difference between the OS maps I used on my 800 and the Garmin OSM maps that come in the 820 are the OSM maps are routable. The 820 can generate left, right, etc instructions for me so long as I’m using the trail network. A massive plus for me.
    [/quote]

??? OS Maps are routable. Unless you mean routable only on roads where OSM will let you route on any track?

Rubber_Buccaneer

My 1:50k OS maps (Discoverer or something like that) that came packaged with my Edge 800 are not routable in any shape or form. They are like looking at a scanned picture of a map that the GPS can display my position on but that is all and as you zoom in to see detail they get blurry like a scanned image.

The OSM maps that came pre loaded on my Edge 820 appear to show all of the bridleways and footpaths I am aware of in my area and also contain the data that allows the unit to create routes for me from one point to another giving me turn instructions along the way. Also when I zoom in the maps remain sharp.

I am not talking about roads, I think they were always covered by the Garmin basemap even on my 800.

golo
    Free Member

They always worked for me… although I did tend to pre-plan routes in Connect (but re-routing worked well). Are all the right maps active? The image is not the routable item per se, the package comes with routing data.

Also from the product page…

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/maps/on-the-trail-maps/discoverer/garmin-gb-discoverer-1-50k-full-coverage/prod71454.html

Discover Great Britain

Explore all of Great Britain with detailed 50K topographic and road maps. Garmin GB Discoverer 1:50K contains full 1:50K scale Ordnance Survey Landranger map coverage for the whole of Great Britain. Plus, with NAVTEQ road data and points of interest, you’ll get turn-by-turn directions to your destinations.

GB Discoverer’s detailed topographic data includes terrain contours, topo elevations, summits, paths, routable roads and geographical points. The premium NAVTEQ road data is the same detailed data included in our leading automotive products – with thousands of addresses and points of interest, including lodging, food and drink, car parks, banks, petrol stations, attractions, campsites, and more. Search for an address or point of interest, and your Garmin device displays turn-by-turn directions to your destination.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes, see all the references to road data?

Check the outdoor maps available for the UK on Garmins site and I think the maps on my old 800 equate to

Garmin Discoverer – Turn-by-turn directions on roads

whereas my 820 would be

Topo Light – Turn-by-turn directions on roads and trails

A very welcome difference to me as a mountain biker

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 1000 or new 820’ is closed to new replies.