Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin Dakota (presumably Oregon/800 too?) question?
  • munkster
    Free Member

OK, so I’ve got a Dakota (bought off here, great seller too 🙂 ) that I’m really happy with but it has OS maps on the SD card and I don’t have the CD (wasn’t technically part of the sale etc etc).

Question is – *if* the Dakota and/or card were, for whatever reason, to get corrupted – would I be able to re-instate the OS maps from a backed up copy of the “gmapsupp.img” file from the SD card or are there other files hidden anywhere else on the device that would be needed too?

I’m kinda tempted to think it wouldn’t be as easy as the above otherwise surely there’d be loads of dodgy “gmapsupp.img” files on the web negating the need to buy the maps?? Maybe there are??

TIA as always.

monogramman
    Free Member

Did it state it came with cd?

My edge 800 just came with the sd card no cd backup.

purchased new btw

munkster
    Free Member

I just assumed it would have done when new s’all.

Equally I’d have assumed that there would have been a restore method in case of a nasty corruption… Am hopeful it’s my method above!

Cheers anyway…

jonk

copy the contents of the card to a safe place

munkster
    Free Member

copy the contents of the card to a safe place

I already have done; that’s not the thing I’m asking about – it’s whether that’s enough to restore the maps or whether there’s any other files I don’t know about that would prevent it from working after being restored…

druidh
    Free Member

IIRC, there is an “Unlock” procedure to go through when you re-install them. This “keys” them to the device.

jota180
    Free Member

There’s a file called GMAPSUPP.UNL – you’ll need that too

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I copied my UK South Explorer map from the supplied card onto a bigger 8Gb card with some other maps and it works fine. Dont think you even have to use the gmapsupp naming convention anymore, so you can access multiple maps at one time

munkster
    Free Member

Ok, sounds like my backup plan ought to be safe then, thanks all 🙂

With any luck won’t need to restore anyway but wanted an idea just in case…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Dakota (presumably Oregon/800 too?) question?’ is closed to new replies.