Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin Bundles Explained
  • Stevo210
    Free Member

Looking at getting an Edge 800 with maps but was a little confused on which bundle is appropriate?
    Im after the mapping capability for UK only but would like there to be good offroad mapping too.

Theres:
    Performance & Navigation Bundle

& GB Discoverer 1:50 Trail Bundle

Are the maps the same or totally different in both these packs?

Any experiences with them?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

My understanding is that the performance and navigation bundle contains HRM and Cadence monitors and has road maps (the navigation part), whilst the other bundle contains an SD card with the 1:50 OS maps but does not have the HRM / Cadence sensors.

If you want offroad mapping I think you will need the 1:50 OS bundle. You can buy ANT+ HRM and cadence sensors separately if you want / need them.

Stevo210
    Free Member

mmmm thanks for that. Does anyone know how the ordnance maps compare on the road to the standard road mapping on the Navigation bundle?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

It zooms in and out automatically as you move along roads so it is pretty easy to see where you are on an OS map when on road. If you are following a route or are navigating to a location you can set it to beep at you just before the junction and display a schematic diagram of the junction indicating which way you will need to turn. You can also enable / disable any of the maps that are installed.

Alternatively you could buy the performance bundle and download an Open Street Map of the UK. There are some very good ones that have contours, bridleways etc on. They even have some advantages as the bridleways on OSM are often ‘routable’ whereas the OS ones are generally not.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.
    Im initially buying it for a 300miles charity ride which has been mapped out on MapYourRide, so Im hoping to get the .gpx file to work ok. But I also want to use it in the peaks and not have to keep stopping and map reading as I will most likely have a pre planned route to follow.

Would you suggest buying the performance bundle with the navigation mapping then and purchase a more usable Open Street Map after then?

STATO
    Free Member

Alternatively you could buy the performance bundle and download an Open Street Map of the UK.

This^^

Open street map is free! Some minor disadvantages as the map is created/managed by people on the net, so ive found things missing from it occasionally (a whole town!) but 99% of the time its been great, havnt used an official map tho so cant compare.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

My main priority was getting the 1:50 OS mapping. It is much cheaper to buy it in the bundle than to purchase it afterwards (£50 extra as opposed to £200 afterwards iirc) and I wasn’t interested in cadence sensor which is what influenced my purchasing decision. (I did want HRM so got myself a second hand ANT+ HRM strap for about £30)

I have played around with OSM maps out of interest and quite like them as they are less ‘busy’ than the OS maps.

I can’t see a clear cut answer to your question about which to buy! Either approach would be fine. Just out of interest, OSM maps are open source so there is no need to buy them, you can download them for free perfectly legitimately.

Just to give you more things to ponder: If you are only following pre planned routes then the Edge 500 allows you to upload a route and gives an arrow display when a turn is approaching (it cannot display maps). If you want on screen maps then you could get a Etrex 30 for less than an Edge800 and load it with OSM maps. (the main difference between an Edge800 and the Etrex is that the Edge is bike specific, a bit smaller and has various functions that mean it is good as a training tool)

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for your experiences there, I can see where you are coming from with the different maps. Its a hard decision because it all costs sooo much. If it was £50 it wouldnt be such a big thing.

Thanks again, need some more thinking time.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi, just bringing this thread back as I have been looking into this myself.

The “Enduro” bundle seems to come with the HRM stuff and the OS mapping, that’s what I’m looking at getting.

Anyone use this for road and MTB riding? I presume the OS mapping is just as good for roads as the “navigation” bundle mapping?

Does it sync well with Strava?

I’d probably stick it in my rucksack for most MTB rides, presume that won’t cause problems?

Does the 1:50,000 mapping actually work good for MTB routes?

Cheers, sorry for all the questions.

cp

the OS maps are fully navigable for roads – ie. you can use it like a car sat nav if you want. It shows road names, and pops up with road names and villages etc.. you’re approaching.

Offroad you can follow gpx files and the like which are overlayed on the OS map, so you can see where to go along bridleways etc…

I find the mapping works great! It’s not fantastic for ‘go explore’ rides where you try to plan routes as you go, simply as the screen isn’t big enough nor has the resolution, scrolling works well, but gets tiresome after a while! But for following a pre-planned route, they are fantastic.

Never used with Strava.

Don’t see it being an issue in the rucksack, though it begs the question why???? No live navigation, no speed data. If you’re just logging rides, you might as well get something cheap.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks cp. That’s my dilemma really.

I would put it on the bars for road rides, where I would find the mapping very useful. But for MTB it would be more of a “get it out if I need to check” sort of thing.

I could get a basic GPS to log rides, but fancied trying the HRM function out too. And then it seems like the price gap from the 500 to the 800 isn’t that much to have the mapping function too.

I’m such a sucker.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Bundles Explained’ is closed to new replies.