Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin 810 or any advice on buying a new garmin
  • dewiwms
    Free Member

Hi
    I currently have a garmin 500 and need to upgrade to get maps. What would you recommend? 800 or the 810? Need to use it off road mostly.
    Thanks

legend
    Free Member

Between those two, the 810 as the Bluetooth is really handy. The screens are still pretty small though, someone will be along shortly to tell us which model of Garmin Etrex is better for navigation

slowjo
    Free Member

I had a 705 for years and ultimately just fancied a change and got the 810.
    As above, the bluetooth function is pretty cool but otherwise, it basically does what the 705 did albeit via a nicer gui.

I liked the 705, I like the 810.

Have a look at Scarletfire for extra reading, it helped me make up my mind which to buy.

ScarletFire: Cycling gear reviews, Garmin tutorials, Strava tips and more.

andysredmini
    Free Member

If you do buy an 810 and it works as you want it then don’t update the software. Ever. That’s the best piece of advice I would give to any 810 owner.

johnnystorm

My connect app is on my phone promising and upgrade….I’m loathe to take its offer!

TiRed

If you don’t plan on navigation, I’d go for a 520 instead. My 810 work but I’ve never managed to really navigate anywhere!

peteimpreza

What about and Edge Touring Plus ?

Has maps and good turn by turn navigation .

deadhead1971
    Free Member

Thanks to SlowJo for the mention of Scarletfire, there’s a useful and rather nifty feature on this page where you tell it what features you want and the appropriate models present themselves to you.
    http://Www.scarletfire.co.uk/which-garmin

dewiwms
    Free Member

Im happy with the 500 for all the info i need at the moment but im doing the wales c2c in august unaided and need sone sort of reliable navigation as im going to try and do it in 24hours
    Thanks for your advice

legend
    Free Member

the 810 can be used while charging, which is handy as the battery will be dead a few times over by then. iirc Etrex have replicable batteries though, which might be better for you.

FWIW the turn by turn navigation on the 810 really doesn’t like being off road so you’ll end up turning that off anyway

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 810 or any advice on buying a new garmin’ is closed to new replies.