Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • garmin 800 / 810 help with laps / virtual partner
  • ed34
    Free Member

my commute ride is a couple of miles of flat-ish riding through a town then up a big hill and down a steep descent to my destination.

what i want to do is record the whole ride on the garmin, but have the hill climb as a virtual partner ride so i can race against my performance on previous rides.

whats the best way of recording the whole ride but having the race option on the climb?

can i use the lap feature to do this, ie start a ride, press lap at the start of the climb then again at the top then use this as a course to follow for the next ride?

will this keep these lap markers on the next ride as a course? I’m guessing the virtual partner will treat the whole ride as one race though so wont ‘wait’ at a lap marker if i’m a bit behind (eg if i’m slower through the town bit due to traffic at junctions)

Is there any way to do this?

njee20
    Free Member

Create a Garmin Segment for the climb – as you approach every time it will pop up and you’ll race your PB (or any other predefined time).

ed34
    Free Member

thanks, i guess i do that on the computer? (havent used the pc software yet, only just got the unit a week or so ago)

Is it just a case of making a course on the PC and then you can create a segment in that course?

And is this with the Garmin software or a 3rd party program?

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Is it an 810, or an 800? You can only do it on the 810. You do it in Garmin Connect, then send it to the device.

I’ve not created any, but AFAIK you choose a ride in Connect where you crossed the segment (ie any commute) and you create one from that.

ed34
    Free Member

ah its an 800, i put 810 in the title as well as thought they were the same except for the bluetooth phone connectivity.

Might just have to make the hill bit a course and just record that.

njee20
    Free Member

If you really want to race yourself just up that bit you’ll have to start the course at the bottom of the hill though, which is a faff. You could try starting the course from home and riding to the start, IIRC it still gives you a virtual partner time, but it may snap back to ‘level’ when you enter the course, not sure.

muddy9mtb

create the “course” as you suggest and set it going as you leave as normal, it should then wait for you to “find course” and not start the vp until you get on it? you should find this helpful information in the comprehensive garmin manual yet to be written 😯 …that and everything other inconsistency within the software!?!?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘garmin 800 / 810 help with laps / virtual partner’ is closed to new replies.