Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Garmin 705 edge
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Looking at getting one with HRM, Cadence etc which will be used for road use only but I’m not sure what package to go for.
    All I want to do with the mapping is to upload pre determined routes to it. The basic package is now around £200, but will that be okay for what I need?
    Thanks in advance. 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Anyone?

Will the base mapping that it comes with be good enough?

stevede
    Free Member

Should be fine for your requirements, i have the 605 and have downloaded free maps from here: http://www.openstreetmap.org./ as the maps that come with it are poor.

chickenslippers
    Free Member

The base mapping is PANTS you will need something else. There are the openstreet maps available that are free but they are updated by us so they can have errors and in some of the more remote locations the minor roads are not on them. I found some of these roads going from Ruthin over to Nannarch N.Wales.

Since then as a safety point, if you want to suddenly get the 705 to calculate the quickest route home it would be nice if it had all of the roads available, I have bought the UK SD card off Amazon only £30.

I think the 705 is an awesome piece of kit just wish I could afford the 800 and then have OS maps.

Good luck, Cheers Si

leffeboy

All that chicken slippers says is good here. The openstreetmap stuff is great if you are uploading a predetermined route. If you are relying on it for your routing then I normally take a look at a map as well before I go to be sure I haven’t missed anything. I do have a paid for map but usually end up with the OSM map in instead as you can tweak them up to show just the stuff that you want. There is even openmtbmap that uses the same data but displays it a bit differently for off road use

Bullet

I got a 605 back in January and looked around for free mapping to replace the rubbish base map – found this and it seems to work well…
    http://www.mapomatic.net/garmin-maps-download/

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I’ve just got a 705 and added the ‘Mapomatic map’ they are much better than the ones it comes with and show where your nearest pub is 8)

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Ok spent ages plotting a nice ride for last night, drove to the start loaded the route, only to be told its over a 100 way points….!!!! Am I the only person that think this is rubbish why cant it take more than 100… Am I missing a trick here, is there a better way to plot routes or is the route the wrong format file or something. On my Edge 305 it would easy nav the whole of the Southdowns way and thats over a 100 miles of way points????
    Last night ride was a .TCX file??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 705 edge’ is closed to new replies.