Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin 520. Is it a good option ?
  • slightreturn
    Free Member

Looking at this unit. But as I’m pretty poor on computers I’m wondering if it’s a viable option,
    Also looking at putting routes on from the sites on the net. Will I need a micro sd card to store the said routes.

Thanks

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i’m interested too, is it easy to download a GXP route and ride around following it, if it is i want one,

blacks have them for £153 delivered after BLACKS15 code

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

damn sold out now

slowbloke
    Free Member

I didn’t think the 520 had a micro sd slot?

zilog6128

It doesn’t. Also, the 820 has just been announced, which will be more expensive but has way more features (including more memory for maps)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Pah – I should have known the 820 would be released as soon as I bought something else. I’d concluded there wasn’t going to be anything between the 500 and the 1000

What do you actually want to do with it?

If it’s performance tracking (Heart rate monitor/Power meter) and live segments then the 520 looks good. It will link to your phone for automatic updating of Strava and so on.

If you want to navigate routes you’ve plotted or downloaded you need something with better mapping. The Edge Touring is a bargain if you don’t want heart rate/power (although you can get some with the Touring plus for a little more) and don’t mind using a cable and a computer to upload your rides.

If you want navigation AND live segments you need to look at the 810 or 1000.

orena45

I put a review up on my blog a while back, have a read and see if it’s of any help 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

520 has very good mapping if you can be bothered to load them.

jimdubleyou

520 has very good mapping if you can be bothered to load them.

+1

I didn’t want a “big” unit, but also wanted mapping.

With the Talky Toaster maps (you need a sub) it’s very usable.

Edit: + it’s got buttons, which is a lot easier that trying to use a touchscreen with wet gloves.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 520. Is it a good option ?’ is closed to new replies.