Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Garmin 520 – Courses
  • richardk
    Free Member

I love my Garmin, but…

I can’t get courses on the 520 to work reliably. I create them on Garmin Connect, transfer them to the device, and then follow the various instructions about starting to ride with them. Only twice so far (out of 10 rides) has it picked up the course start correctly. Most times it will advise ‘approaching start of …’ and then not pick it up.

What am i doing wrong?

Current approach: GPS & Glonass enabled, smart recording interval. Choose course, then select ride, choose ‘navigate to start of ride’, then press the start button.

daern
    Free Member

Hmm, on my 1000 I open the list of courses, browse to the one I want and click “ride”. If I’m at the start I’ll be offered to “start riding immediately” and if not “would you like to navigate to the start?”. Either way, I’ll normally say “no”. When I’m ready to go, I just hit the (physical) start button and it will start the ride and commence the course following. If off-course, it will notify me, but otherwise it will just track the course as you’d expect. I have never used navigate to start of ride (which enables the turn-by-turn nav), and I would suspect that this is probably why yours doesn’t work.

Every now and then, it does screw-up mid-ride (always after an extended stop with the Garmin turned off) and I’ll need to go back into courses, re-select it and it picks up where it left off. The activity in progress is unaffected.

I create them on Garmin Connect

Being honest, both Garmin and Strava’s course creation tools suck and I think that very few people here use them. Personally, I use BikeHike and save my courses as “GPX Track” (which includes elevation data). I then either manually copy the GPX file to the Garmin via USB or, more recently, use the gimporter app and its matching Android app.

Fantombiker

I use bikehike without problems

richardk
    Free Member

3 courses set up now with ridewithgps.com then TCX file exported. Navigate to start of ride – ‘no’ and using course points display on map.

Working absolutely faultlessly now 🙂

julzm
    Free Member

@daern any idea if there is an IOS version of that gimporter app? Looks exactly like the gap to fill what is driving me mad about garmin courses (I dont have a laptop so cant upload GPX files to my garmin).

Does anyone know how to stop the course running if you get fed up of it along the way? I cant figure out how to turn off the navigation until Ive reached my destination.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 520 – Courses’ is closed to new replies.