Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin 1000 with OpenStreetMap and OS maps
  • singletracksurfer

Are there any issues with running both together/can you even run both together?

I have an 800 with full UK 1:50,000 and want to upgrade to the 1000 so will transfer the maps over and I thought I’d also put the free OSM on for greater detail if/when needed. Will it work ok or can you only run one at a time (swapping SD cards)?

Thanks.

smurfly13
    Free Member

I have an 810 and have both OSM and OS (and City Navigator) on the same SD card.

Just named different things .IMG files.

If I change where I am riding I just go into the menu and DISABLE/ENABLE what maps I want to view.

Your 800 likely does the same if my 810 does?!

singletracksurfer

Thanks. I guess there is enough space on the SD card which they provide the OS maps on, to add the OSM files to. Is it much hassle to manually choose/switch between the different maps during the ride?

hoopyfrood
    Free Member

My 800 will only read one set of maps from the SD card. You can have multiple maps on the card, but only the one named gmapsupp.img gets used. I don’t think there’s any way of renaming the files from the device.

I’ve read that newer Garmin’s are better (as per smurfly’s 810) so the 1000 might do what you want.

leffeboy

The 1000 comes with a free map that is OSM data and very good. I used to add other osm maps as well but just use the Garmin one now. So yes you can have more than one map and you can switch between them but it is sufficiently fiddly you wouldn’t be doing it all the time

nemesis
    Free Member

On my 810 I have several map (img) files on an sd card including OS and osm. You can switch mid ride but it is a few menus (something like menu, settings, activity profile, navigation, map then disable / enable the maps you want and then back through all the options).

I have done it on the fly but wouldn’t normally as it’s a tricky to press the right options while riding.

scotroutes

FWIW my Oregon has several maps on the SD card and it’s only a couple of menu options to select the one you want. I use the function quite a lot when out looking for historic tracks.

cp

My 800 will only read one set of maps from the SD card. You can have multiple maps on the card, but only the one named gmapsupp.img gets used.

you can have multiple .IMG files on the SD card on the 800 – just use the map menu on the device to select which one you want to be active.

I imagine it works in the same way on a 1000…

njee20
    Free Member

I have OS and OSM maps on the same SD card for my 1000, but the OS ones are shit. Never use them at all. OSM infinitely better for me. Get the TalkyToaster ‘enhanced’ OSMs rather than OS I say.

As above, you just enable whichever map you want. OS were reenabled after an update last week, reminded me how unusable they are.

singletracksurfer

Brilliant, thanks very much that all sounds good then.

I may even keep the 800 and put the OSM maps on that too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 1000 with OpenStreetMap and OS maps’ is closed to new replies.