Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Garmin 1000 mapping question
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Hi all,

So, can anyone tell me if the Garmin 1000 comes with OSM maps or is the base map some other kind.

Reading Google, OSM seem to be the best type of free mapping but there is no point putting OSM maps on if the preinstalled ones are already OSM ones.

HELP !
    Thanks

NigE5
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have the 1000 edge, yes the base map is OSM and it covers Europe as well, I transferred a GB 1:50000 OS map SD card from a 800 edge, that takes preference for use in UK.

dlr

NigE5, you can disable/enable maps as well ie if you wanted to use the OSM one then you can disable the (worse for road riding) OS one, I think it is in the profile under map settings somewhere in their wonderful(!) menu system

CraigW
    Free Member

The preloaded maps are based on OpenStreetMap (as well as some other data for elevation etc). Though it is one particular style. OSM maps are available in a variety of different styles, eg to highlight particular features. The maps can also affect how the autorouting works, ie does it route along roads or paths.

It could be worth trying some different OSM maps, to see if you prefer them. You can have multiple maps loaded at once, and switch between them when you like (if you have enough space in the memory).

NigE5
    Free Member

I much prefer the OS map for all my riding, not liking the OSM so much

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 1000 mapping question’ is closed to new replies.