Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Garlic fix
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

I love garlic, but it occurred to me that I don’t really know what to do with it if I want a quick fix.

I’m roasting a clove in the oven as I type which I’ve never done before, but what else can i do with it? Suggestions welcomed!

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive been known to scoff it raw its tasty as if you get it fresh.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[Hipster]

Wild garlic is better.

[/Hipster]

maccruiskeen

Wild garlic will be popping up soon – grab a load of it (make sure its not lily of the valley as that’ll kill you) and make it into Pesto and freeze it in ice cube trays of adding to stuff like steamed veg or boiled pots

[/Hipster]

My house is pretty much surrounded by it!

With regular garlic perhaps the most convenient thing is to look up making confit garlic – make a few jars of that and you can then use straight out of the jar – spread it on toast or something.

pictonroad

Waitrose garlic and jalapeno olives.

Mouth is watering writing that down. clove of garlic in each olive, they are sensational.

Jamie
    Free Member

Crush clove, or seven, mix with a little oil

Dip something in it.

Also, Lidl’s do jars of pickled cloves. Very nice, and great at alienating people.

Oh, and replace your salt and pepper with these:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/D0Okh1b.jpg[/img]

bearnecessities

ive been known to scoff it raw its tasty as if you get it fresh.

You Sir, need help.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Get a garlic mincer and use it with chillis too – on a fresh salad.

BillMC

20 seconds in the microwave or until it pops its wrapper

mogrim

Mince it, mix with a knob of soft butter, spread on toast. Ideally a toasted baguette or similar.

ulysse
    Free Member

Why’s it broken?

CheesybeanZ

I’m roasting a clove in the oven as I type

I hope you mean a bulb and not a single clove .

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lazy quick fix is to buy a nice garlic spread from a good wholefood / organic shop. You can then have that on bread or crackers.

It’s good to make your own garlic oil (you can buy of course), eg normal olive oil (not extra virgin) with peeled cloves and infused ober a low/medium heat (look for recipes maybe with so e other herbs / chilli ?) then put back in bottle removing garlic pieces. Great for adding flavour to cooking.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Fry several cloves in a generous amount of olive oil, until they start to go brown. Remove the cloves and pour the oil over pasta. Enjoy.
    Scoff the cloves separately. The two different flavours are quite a contrast.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Keeps the mozzies away in Africa bear necessities – and byproduct of also repelling the nightfighters.

jimmy

Spaghetti Alio Olio… Fry a few cloves roughly chopped in plenty of olive oil. Add in plenty chopped parsley just before adding in cooked spaghetti. Mix well, add chilli flakes if wanted. Boat off…

Or, easy and AMAZING garlic bread… Toast some sourdough / ciabatta slices, slice a clove in two and rub hard / a lot on the toast. Drizzle on olive oil and sea salt. Nom. Good with soups / stews / pasta.

slowoldman

For the Aglio Olio I would suggest warming the garlic (lot’s of it) in olive oil. Don’t let it brown – it goes bitter.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Roast Chicken with 2 pounds of garlic – an epic dining experience – though you’ll probably only do it once 😉

slowoldman

Oh, just remembered, cannelloni bean and garlic soup. With lots of garlic.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Fry up some sliced garlic “chips” and chili slivers in plenty of olive oil, until both are golden brown and crispy. Remove the chili and garlic and replace with discs of aubergine. Fry these until soft and coloured. Serve topped with chilis and garlic together with strips of Basil leaf.

kayak23

Crush it and rub it on your nips.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I hope you mean a bulb and not a single clove

Yep, sorry! I wasn’t as taken with it as I thought I would be though. Usually devour whole cloves when roasted with vegetables for around 40 mins, even if they are pretty burnt!

Did the bulb for 40 mins at 180 with olive oil rubbed into the top of the cut open cloves. Was covered in foil, but the taste wasn’t anywhere near as nice as I was anticipating!

jimmy

Yeah good point slowoldman!

bob_summers

Not sure about raw garlic repelling mosquitos. I ate a clove a day for a year or so to try and ward off colds. Seemed to work in that respect, but the mosquitos weren’t put off, they go for me no matter what I’ve eaten.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Garlic fix’ is closed to new replies.