Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Garden Fencing… why so expensive?
  • renton
    Free Member

Just had a chap round to quote us for a run of fencing out the front. we need…

7 x arched 4ft panels
    7x 1ft gravel boards
    8 6 ft concrete posts.

This lot including fitting came to £1350 ???

Does that seem expensive or not?

andyl
    Free Member

installed and treated?

renton
    Free Member

Yes sorry treated and installed.

Edit…. 1 x 6 foot panel and 6 x 3ft panels

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes it does.

m0rk
    Free Member

Seems pricey… work it out from AVS Fencing and you’ll be able to see how much his day rate is

cozz
    Free Member

round here id say

panels about £30 each (actually £26.50)

boards £10

posts £12-15

so i reckon £400 of materials

and I’d get my mate do do it, prob a days work for 2 blokes (mates rates) £200

so i’d be paying £600,, plus bit more for cement/ballast etc

2 blokes should get that done in a day – unless they have to remove old stuff first

midlifecrashes

My quick reckoning is between £500 and £600 on materials at Wickes prices.

dropoff

300mm concrete gravel boards ? Oh and before everyone starts going on about the price I expect most of the keyboard warriors couldn’t even lift a concrete post. For what its worth cost would be approx 1K.

bruneep

Maybe the man has to pay tax, eat, feed and clothe his family and maybe make a small profit so he can buy some bike bits with the free cash. Or is that not allowed on here?

siloseven
    Free Member

sounds expensive to me, yes. I had a chap build a 6ft high overlapped board fence that’s the length of about 8 6ft wide panels + a gate for £800.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

you need to get some more quotes

We had pretty much the same as you want (but straight, not curved panels) and was about £500 a couple of years ago. Ans that’s in the expensive SE badlands

renton
    Free Member

We are getting more quotes.

Breakdown is 850 materials and 500 labour

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Find a local firm that makes everything themselves, way cheaper as they aren’t buying in

renton
    Free Member

Ive worked it our roughly at Welch garden supplies at just under £350 for materials not including post crete

brian2
    Free Member

About 8 yrs ago it cost me around £120 per panel for a 50m run of 1.5m curved pressure treated panels like yours; concrete posts and gravel boards; fitted. Sounds a bit pricey to me, stuff like this hasn’t gone up much since 2007. Pays to get it done well tho.

bruneep

well crack on and do it yourself, why get quotes if you are going shop online?

renton
    Free Member

well crack on and do it yourself, why get quotes if you are going shop online?

The simple fact of being 9 hours and 500 miles away is the reason Im not !!

Frankers
    Free Member

We had ours done recently..

2 sides 9 x 6′ panels + concrete posts and gravel boards

We had 3 quotes and they were all around £1800-2000

qwerty
    Free Member

I expect most of the keyboard warriors couldn’t even lift a concrete post

I ordered a batch of these bad boys for our fence:

**** me, they we’re heavy, a real struggle to lift to height to drop into the hole. The guy who (loaded &) delivered them wasn’t too impressed.

All the timber i used (treated larch cant rails, overlap & boards) came direct from local forest & local saw mill.

Wally

Sounds reasonable to me. I had a whole rear garden make over very recently which involved two guys working very hard for two weeks. I like a project – but I cannot lay circular patios or bricks or want to remove huge concrete laden posts. Sometimes other people have more expertise and tools than you.

You have to weigh up quality of outcome with cost.

mefty
    Free Member

Is he getting rid of an old fence too, landfill costs are not insignificant for commercial operators, how easy is it to access the site?

joat

Bear hugging those^ caused me many a holed t-shirt (and bad backs). Quote doesn’t seem too bad, just make sure you order the right size though Renton.

renton
    Free Member

There is nothing to get rid of as its just a little bit of land that people keep cutting across or dumping rubbish on!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What’s the ground like? Does anything have to be removed, replaced or disposed of? Is there easy access?

Your first two posts indicate you’re not quite sure what’s being fitted. The fencer may be covering the possibility of buggeration…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

There will be a slight addition to the cost to cover unforseen circumstances.
    It’s simple, pay someone to do a decent job, pay someone a budget price to do a budget job or do it yourself.

trail_rat
    Free Member

This the famous bit of land that your deeds say you cant put a fence up on ?

midlifecrashes

There is nothing to get rid of as its just a little bit of land that people keep cutting across or dumping rubbish on!

In that case you probably don’t need the Rolls Royce fence you’ve specced. Metal fence post concreted in at each end and any corner. One roll of 4ft chainlink and a few intermediate posts driven in. Three tension wires per run.

renton
    Free Member

There are a couple of tree stumps on the ground where a couple of fir’s were cut down but he has said they are not where the fence will be going.

Nothing else apart from mud.

wiggles
    Free Member

He obviously thinks he can charge good money for his erection…

renton
    Free Member

Trail rat do try and keep up…. that bit of land was the front garden at my old house.

This is the front garden at my new house, down the left side is/was fir trees that have been cut down as they were blocking the light into the front of the house.

The patch of land is now open onto an alleyway down the side and people are now cutting across it and dumping rubbish etc.

We want the arched fence panels as there are already some down the side of the house and this run will continue on from that to the edge of our land.

bruneep

A rented property? so its an allowable expense if it is.

So it wont cost you anything in reality.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Get some more quotes. I’ve seen plenty of fences that have been done quickly only to blow over during the first winter. It can take a while to dig a decent hole for a fence post if there’s roots and big stones every few inches.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

This is the front garden at my new house, down the left side is/was fir trees that have been cut down as they were blocking the light into the front of the house.

So there may be roots involved?

renton
    Free Member

This is land in question……

Fence will continue off this one…..

dropoff

After seeing those pics I reckon youre getting a fair price.

timbur
    Free Member

Should be able to knock that up in a day.
    Seems a little excessive pricewise however there’s a “premium” charge as most home owners won’t do fencing/hedging as it’s too much hassle.
    Tim

renton
    Free Member

I did the fence at my previous house on 3 sides with a couple of mate and it went up ok.

To far away to do this one unfortunately

midlifecrashes

That border does look like a world of pain, roots and hassle. If you could get it cleared back to bare earth you might get a kinder quote.

bruneep

This ^

renton
    Free Member

The chap did say the stumps and roots wouldn’t be a problem though.

Do you think his Labour charge is fair at 500.

Would it likely go up if we supplied our own materials.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Garden Fencing… why so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.