Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without permission
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So if someone puts something on you land when your out without you permission you can’t touch it? No that’s not right

If someone parked their car on your drive would you be convicted of criminal damage if you smashed its lights in?

geoffj

Personally, I’d have left it a few days to let the neighbours get used to having it and then put a spade through it.

More fun that way.

Dobbo

MF: No I doubt it.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

…. and they say the are sending a from to fill out ! pmsl.. what form ! what to fill out to have it removed… show me the one I filled out giving you permission !

I think you said it was a claim form?
    They screwed up, you have asked them to sort it, give them a chance to sort it. If what they do/offer to do isn’t to your satisfaction, tell them.
    If they tell you to f-off, then get massively in their face but give them a chance!

Oh and

muppets ! they really are !

Yea, agreed 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Poly same here. Can give you the grump when you go to turn into your drive and it’s no longer there 😈

They made good, but sadly the making good didn’t last and it’s never been sorted.

Jolsa

Agree with the poster who said use social media – are you on twitter? Tweet it and get everyone here to re-tweet. These companies are currently very on to what’s being said about them on social media and you’ll find your complaint will get fast-tracked if you start making a noise.

Do not underestimate the power of twitter 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Dobbo – Member
    MF: No I doubt it.

I doubt you are right! You can’t just go breaking something just because it is on your property.

Dobbo

I doubt you are right! You can’t just go breaking something just because it is on your property.

Park your can on my drive and we’ll see how it ends up. 😆

Hedgehog
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if the law does let you remove it.
    And id agree my feelings are very much in agreement with Dobbo.

but im sure even though this is a level of response is applicable to such numpty work. im sure some stupid small print in the law stops me from damage to their property, yes which i totally disagree with !

anyways, even though they in my opinion have violated me (lol) im trying to keep cool and play by the law even though they haven’t.

if ! by the time I actually speak to some one who can give an sh.. er, answer Ill will be happy to listen to there responce and plan of action.

Not, the one for the solicitor i guess.

O ! and a couple of funny points. When wify moved im she want to bring the cable contract with her, but was told then cant install it as were on private access, and then she was charged 200 quid from stopping mid contact.

and 2nd the neighbour in question is renting. Ive spoken to the owner, he’s totally miffed to, doest know anything about it and is kicking up with the agent. And ive since been told had the cable forced on her cus the agents on a back hander.

Its actually get so bad its funny ! NOT !

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Park your can on my drive and we’ll see how it ends up.

😆
    Many years ago I heard about some woman who, fed up with people parking in front of her house, took to a car with a hammer and paint stripper.

Then her husband came downstairs and said ‘happy anniversary darling – your present is parked outside’.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If someone parked their car on your drive would you be convicted of criminal damage if you smashed its lights in?

Not quite the same is it. More like “if someone built a garage for their car on your drive” – and yes you’d be perfectly in your rights to remove it by any means you saw fit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

MF: If you ‘didn’t know the car was there (and it was hidden/invisible) you couldn’t be held to blame. Similarly if you don’t know a cable is beneath the ground [it’s not supposed to be there/you have no way of knowing it’s there] and you put a spade through it you cannot be blamed.
    If next door neighbours tree grows over your boundary you are perfectly within your rights to cut the offending branches off.
    Virgin have no permission/rights to be there and therefore have no recourse.
    Hedgehog: If you don’t want it there give Virgin a resonable amount of time to rectify it (two weeks sounds about right) and if nothing has been done by then chop it.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I have colleague who was in a similar position a couple of years ago. He returned home to find an extra satellite dish on his house with the cables running all the way across. He lives in an area that’s notoriously bad for both satellite and analogue signals in an end of terrace house – apparently his house is one of the few in the street that can receive satellite. The Sky engineer realised this when fitting a dish for a house a few doors down, and instead of telling them that they didn’t have a viable signal, he stuck it on my colleague’s house.

Everyone on the team was giggling when he called Sky, as they kept transferring him from pillar to post and he struggled to remain civil. Sky claimed it wasn’t their fault, because they send out contracters to fit the dishes so it was the contracter’s fault.

My colleague said that it was fitted by a man riding around in a van emblazoned with the Sky logo, to provide Sky television, and they pay the contractors to fit the dishes so they can pay them to remove them when they’ve been placed on other people’s property. There was more to-ing and fro-ing, and they said they couldn’t remove it without the permission of the account holder. When my colleague started talking about legal action for trespass and property damage (as they’d drilled his house) and saying that he would remove it himself they eventually stopped fobbing him off – the dish was removed within a couple of days.

psychle
    Free Member

Devils advocate here, but has this actually caused you any harm (and/or will it into the future?) 😕

ourmaninthenorth

Proper lolling at the STW pretend lawyers spouting off drivel.

Good work, lads, keep it up.

😀

Hedgehog
    Free Member

harm ? my property ?
    er… diging a trence, cuting into the fountation of the house. routing cable up my house all damage to my property.

same as someone parking their car there. not causing any harm ??

sharkbait
    Free Member

Devils advocate here, but has this actually caused you any harm (and/or will it into the future?)

If Hedgehog allows it to stay he’s effectively giving Virgin/their contractors the right to go on his property [and maybe dig it up] whenever there is a problem in the future. Not for me thanks.

Hedgehog
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth. all good though ! 😀

but at the very least, its make me feel a bit better.
    keep it up !

Thanks lads and lasses !

.. surpised no one brought up owning and bombers yet ? lol/

Hedgehog
    Free Member

sharkbait. exactly, the law to from what i understand pritty much states it. If i leave it its constituted as agreement.

crankboy
    Free Member

it’s trespass to your property and you are entitled to self help to end it .
    If you found a trespasser on your lad and he refused to leave you could eject him with reasonable force.

Write to Virgin give them 2 weeks notice ( made up period based on what seems reasonable) stating that they remove and make good plus compensate for inconvenience otherwise you will do it yourself and seek to recover your expenses from them.

Do not accidentally chop it, as every one knows you know it is there, that just makes it look like you know you are doing something wrong. That would go part way to establishing a crime.

Give them two weeks then deliberately chop it dig it up and remove it then you are just enforcing your rights on fair notice. Plus they have two weeks to try and resolve matters with you.

If you do nothing for twelve years that would grant a legal easement to run a cable over your land. If you want to avoid that but let the cable stay then give permission “revocable at any time by you your heirs and ensigns” That way you can have it removed when ever you want.

Dobbo

If you found a tresspasser on your lad

Had to laugh at that. 😆

crankboy
    Free Member

for the sake of clarity Lad = land….. too funny to edit

ourmaninthenorth

Serious answer:

1. Harass Virgin to process the claim.
    2. Quantify (or have quantified) the value of the damage to your property. Be realistic.
    3. Harass Virgin to process the claim.
    4. Submit value of damage and request (1) you are compensated for this and (2) your property is made good (in reality, you’ll get one or the other)
    5. See 1 and 3.

DO NOT go putting a spade through the cable – you’ll have committed criminal damage to Virgin’s property and completely undermine your claim against them.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Whilst I would maybe not cut a cable, if you were to give it a good old tug at where it comes on and off your land , I imagine there must be a connector somewhere between you and the street cabinet that would quite likely pull out, giving a next to no damage way of being able to remove the bit of cable across your land .

uplink
    Free Member

I imagine there must be a connector somewhere between you and the street cabinet

usually an un-broken run from the cab

Trekster

what the maninthenorth says. If foundations have been damaged a civil engineers report and repait valuation would be worthwhile rather than a guesstimate.
    Give the 2wks notice and warn them you will be going to local press/tv stations/Angela Rippons Rip of Britain programme. This used to work very well with the old British Leyland when the engines of Triumph Stags were on short supply due to their lack of reliability 🙄
    Complaint to trading standards?
    Solicitors letter may have more clout 💡

Point out the bad press Toyota have been getting and advise them you will escalate this problem to that level 😈

Taff
    Free Member

Heard about this happening before with Virgin. I would be reasonably fine with my neighbours doing this as I get on with them but only if there was no other alternative and I would want some agreement with Virgin to move in future if there was a requirement ie boundary wall going in or a drive etc as well as some compensation from Virgin.

Best of luck with it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Give the 2wks notice and warn them you will be going to local press/tv stations/Angela Rippons Rip of Britain programme…

Only do this if you don’t mind looking like a twonk being pictured stood in front of your house shrugging and looking aggrieved.

Edit: much like this:

from here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ing-chinese-ing-lanterns#post-2443131

CaptJon
    Free Member
    AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Not followed through to a conclusion but a more useful one relating to Virgin here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=33177335

Even before reading that I’d have said do not ‘deliberately’ damage the cable, it could lead to them pursuing you for a claim of criminal damage and will certainly harm your claim against them.

As already said, take lots of pictures and make a detailed note of what you did when (who you spoke to, what they said etc).

iain1775
    Free Member

with regards criminal damage of Virgins property many years ago I had a dispute with NTL (now Virgin) which ended with me cancelling contract and OFCOM getting involved. In the end I won compensation, but whilst this was all going on I got a little angry about the situation, the red letters threatening bailiffs (I owed nothing as the service was never connected due to various issues), and the damage to brickwork on my property casued during a botched install.
    I sold their digital box on ebay (to cover repair costs to my property), when their agent (big thuggish looking man who just grunted ‘NTL box’ at my wife) called we told him the situation he shugged said ‘not another one’ and left. They never chased me for returning the box again
    I also dug the cable up from the garden (this was needed anyway as we where laying a new driveway and it was not buried deep enough with no slack on it to bury deeper), cut it at the boundary with the road and posted it back to them with a note explaining why and that I had no option as if it stayed on my propeerty I would have to charge them ‘rent’
    They never pursued me for criminal damage or theft, in fact I actually got a nice apologising letter when OFCOM decided in my favour

So I say give them 2 weeks maximum, then rip it up and get solicitors involved to recover costs of repairs etc
    Involve OFCOMM (or whatever they are called now) it takes time but in my experience they resolve things

firestarter
    Free Member

why dont you just cut it where it enters your property and where it leaves and throw the cable you have left in the neighbours garden (otherwise its theft iirc) job done

DaveRambo

I think you have take the moral high ground here.

I’d try and be as reasonable as possible as mistakes happen.
    Keep a track of who you speak to and times/content of calls.

Then when they don’t resolve it write a polite letter giving them 2 weeks to remove and make good, to your satisfaction and ask what they are prepared to do to compensate you for the inconvenience.

If they do then all is well and you should get a few quid out of it.

If not then I’d take then to small claims court – it’s cheap and easy to do and the threat of it will make them sort it out.

I think the key is to keep calm and don’t do anything that could be seen as obstructive or malicious – it can only work against you no matter aggrieved you feel.

Clearly they are in the wrong so it will get sorted – don’t stress about it – life’s too short.

… and keep us updated

ourmaninthenorth

Here’s another tip from someone who works for a Virgin competitor…

…you’re dealing with customer services. In all these organisations, it isn’t designed to cope with problems like this, just taking customer orders to buy the Virgin products.

It will take a while, if at all, to land on a lawyer’s desk. While it’s naturally very important to you, the lawyer will (naturally) have more important things to do.

So, rather than get stroppy and throw tantrums, just act reasonably, take all the sensible advice up there^^^ and keep politely – but firmly – pressing them.

Hope you get it all sorted. 🙂

Hedgehog
    Free Member

as expected no-ones called back as promised.

so photos taken, nice direct letter being drafted, eg. out within 14 days or else.. etc, with reference to handing over to my solicitor if not resolved etc. im not waiting a week for someone to never call me back.
    or filling in forms !

lets see what happens.

anjs
    Free Member

Do you have buildings insurance? I would consider giving them a call to inform them a third party had deliberately damaged your property.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Despite what people are suggesting damaging the cable will make the problem worst because Virgin might have a case against you, plus you’ve stopped your neighbour from using Virgin’s product. At this point, rather than just having you vs vrigin you could have:

You vs Virgin
    Virgin vs you
    Neighbour vs Virgin (vs you)
    Neighbour vs you

Next time you ring them up mention OFCOM to them. The mention of a regulator can do wonders.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m the first to suggest:

<static> bomber command, come in bomber command <static>

mattsccm
    Free Member

What ever you decide keep us up to date please 😆

project
    Free Member

Somebodies burried a virgin in your garden.

lol.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without permission’ is closed to new replies.