Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Garage shelf
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a space above my garage door and I want to put at least one shelf up there for paint, a few boxes and some other stuff thats seldom used.

My original thought was to bolt a joist to the wall above the garage door and a short piece of joist to both side walls, fit joist hangers then a couple of joists then flooring grade chipboard on top. But one side wall is plasterboard and I think I’m over complicating it anyway.

Here’s the space[/url]Untitled by gary.maclean.31, on Flickr[/img]

I’m now thinking just angle brackets would work fine, but need to be as long as possible. Looks like 30cm is the longest available, mdf on top then a piece of chain either end hooked onto an eye in the ceiling to help take the weight.

Ideally I want the shelf to be at least 400mm wide.

Thoughts?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i need to do this too.

i like your joist idea better than my complicated option.

wwaswas

I’ve used 30cm brackets with 60cm shelves. I put a bit of 60cm long bits fo 1×2 above each shelf by the brackets and screwed through the bracket and shelf ant into this to hold it in place and then through the shelf into the wood past where the brakcet ended. The extra pience of wood supports the overhanging shelf bit. There’s a ‘ridge’ in the shelves every 4ft or so but it’s not an issue for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

built that over my garage door a few years ago due to wasted space up there…..

i built it off of 4×2 stud on the 3 walls~(block/brick construction) with 6 inch hammer hits at 300mm centres.

I framed out the shelf like a stud wall with 4×2 and covered the top in 12mm ply and the bottom in 4mm ply , faced the front with some left over strip wood i had from in the house.

Its solid as a solid thing – 6ft deep 8 ft wide. I store tires , buckets of paint , my TT wheels , car parts all sorts of stuff i dont need imminantly up here – i have also climbed around up there wiring in lights to the front of the garage.

nickjb
    Free Member

I screw a batten to either side wall (assuming you can find the studs on the plasterboard side) then put a couple a 4x2s all the way across sat onto the battens and a bit of chipboard on top screwed to the 4×2. That’s exactly the arrangement in my garage and it takes a huge amount of weight/stuff.

Gary_M
    Free Member

i like your joist idea better than my complicated option.

The joist idea would be good but as one wall is plasterboard then I’d really need to add support posts which go to the floor at that side. Just seems a bit messy.

andyl
    Free Member

Batten along wall above door.

Batten along side walls if doing shelf full width

Fit shelf and secure to battens (either screw down from above or metal angle plates on bottom)

If needed,f fit diagonals from top of wall to suspend shelf at a couple of locations along width . Could use a batten along the top edge and screw diagonals into that if it makes life easier. Brace the shelf with timber across width like mentioned above instead of using just sheet material.

edit: or use inverted metal shelf brackets if you don’t mind the ridges. Keeps the shelf as low as possible and maximum height to use.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s exactly what my original plan would look like trail rat although probably not as deep.

stumpy01

Couldn’t you just screw some of this into the breeze block, cut to length:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/twin-slot-upright-white-1400-x-25mm-pack-of-2/56901

and use these brackets which are 370 deep:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/u-brackets-white-370-x-13mm-pack-of-10/30215

You can then use plyboard or mdf as the actual shelving. If you expect a high load, you can use 3 rails/brackets to support the centre of the span.
    You can overlap the front edge of the bracket by a bit to increase the depth.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s another option I was looking at stumpy01 and it probably is the easiest option and I guess rather than 1 shelf I could just fit a few.

stumpy01

Gary_M – Member

That’s another option I was looking at stumpy01

We had it in our bedroom at my parents once my brother was at uni and I was doing A-levels. The shelves were completely covered in books & lever arch files with no bother; always amazed they never pulled the fixings out of the wall!

The good thing with them is that as your storage requirements change, you can easily increase or decrease the spacing/add/remove shelves etc. so although it looks a bit naff it works really well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

so although it looks a bit naff it works really well.

Fine for the garage and is bound to look better than my inept carpentry skillz 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Twin slot stuff is what I use in the garage. You can also make bike hangers out of it screwed to the ceiling joists (if your garage has them).

Gary_M
    Free Member

Job done

[/url]Untitled by gary.maclean.31[/img]

[/url]Untitled by gary.maclean.31[/img]

bamboo
    Free Member

Good work!

duncancallum

That won’t fall down…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good effort. Aint hard is it 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

One thing….. You have checked you cn still get that ladder down right ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes ladder still comes down 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Garage shelf’ is closed to new replies.