Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garage security: Security Door vs Roller Shutter
  • naffrider1
    Free Member

Hi,

The garage I use to house my beloved bikes is two streets over and due to recent ‘activity’ in the area I want to beef up it’s security.

Access currently consists of a roller shutter main door and a wooden door with a security gate and padlock.

The roller shutter is manual and I’m going to install an internal base lock so that’ll be solid.

The door however I think is the weak point, I’m debating on whether to remove the wood door and install a security door, keeping the security gate too or remove the gate and fit a manual roller shutter.

Anyone got any experience or advice?

ta,
    Naff

naffrider1
    Free Member

Also, while I’m at it, anyone got experience with cameras activated by motion that then send you emails/texts?

No, I’m not parinoid 😉

neilwheel
    Free Member

Depending on what you need to protect, generally two barriers are better than one. I would consider reinforcing the gate with better locks, hinges, fixings and more protection too, as in plates fitted over the top or a skin of plywood with galvanised sheet over the top.

Strengthen the wooden door too, an extra skin of plywood each side and galvanised sheet again on the outer face, better fixings, straps from frame to wall and another lock.

naffrider1
    Free Member

Thanks, yeah, that had crossed my mind, reinforcing what I already have, probably work out cheaper too if I can get a mate too weld. Cogs are turning on best was to do it now!

spooky_b329

Keep it discrete, no point advertising that you have something to steal.

I would leave the externals exactly as is and do all reinforcing internally if possible.

CHB

swann cctv is good. I installed it earlier this year when maplin had a sale on. £350 for four 720 line cameras and a HDD bigh enough for a month of motion sensed recording. Best bit is being able to monitor from my mobile phone from ANYHWERE…great for peace of mind when away on hols or business.

tomaso
    Free Member

If you make the doors strong they just come through the window or roof… 😥

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I built a brick building roughly the size of a garage, with having been targeted I went for a Steel door from Bradbury Security at Scunthorpe, they manufacture for the police, electricity substations etc & I was really impressed, the local scroats came tried and left, never been back, As for tamaso’s comment, if you have windows then have a steel grill made & securely fastened internally or take the window out, as for the roof I went for 20mm treated ply screwed to the roof trusses with 3 inch screws.

Yeah ok it cost me a fortune but a sleep soundly.
    roller shutters .. the father in law has drilled & fitted anchor points at both ends of the door to prevent it from being crow bar’d up, personally go with the best security you can afford that way you’ll sleep sound and not have the worry of thinking what If…..

Cheers Mark

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Holy Spam batman!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garage security: Security Door vs Roller Shutter’ is closed to new replies.