Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Garage Security
  • kcr
    Free Member

I am securing a standard Merlin up and over garage door. I have one of these PJB bolts:

which I am going to fit at the bottom of the door, and a set of these Asec bolts:

The recommended fitting position for the Asec bolts is at the bottom corners of the door, but, given the PJB at the bottom, I was thinking about fitting the Asecs at the top corners, to deter attempts to fold down the upper half of the door. I could then secure the door by locking the PJB and the two Asecs, and wouldn’t bother with the existing central latch lock, which is a bit sticky and pretty ineffective (don’t want to have to unlock more than 3 points every time I need to get access to the garage).

Does this strategy sound OK, or could someone attack the door and gain entry by folding up the lower corners, despite having the PJB in the centre?
    I am also fitting ground anchors and chains for the bikes inside.

FuzzyWuzzy

The PJB wouldn’t stop them folding up the bottom corners so I’d get another couple of Asecs if you’re paranoid. Are you alarming it as well?

petrieboy

You’re making it pretty obvious you’ve got some valuable stuff in there and any additional security measure on an in and over door is only going to slow them down very slightly.

What about a big cage for the bikes inside the garage?

wwaswas

I’d go for 4 Asec bolts one at each corner – will stop all ‘peeling’ unless they cut through the bolts themselves (which are visible/accesable from outside the garage if fitted to the bottom of an up and over door).

they are really quick to undo and you can get 4 keyed alike so only one key required.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no side door availible ?

id be sticking them on the inside if i could

also whats your roof made of ?

my buddy secured his doors …… robbers stole his brooklyn tmx through smashing up the asbestos roof and coming through it.

globalti
    Free Member

Out on a night ride we surprised three lads with a Stihl saw cutting open a factory unit shutter door. They scarpered but one club member spotted their van parked in a layby down the road and called the Police who nabbed them.

tomaso
    Free Member

I dreamt last night that my garage roof was smashed and all my bikes and motorcycles were stolen 🙁 Glad it was only a dream.

While the external PJB bolt looks sturdy I agree with other posters that it shouts a garage full of £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£ Is there not something more subtle that could be hidden behind the door?

kcr
    Free Member

Cheers, all good points.

footflaps

Last time I dreamt someone was stealing my bike, I woke up that morning to find it wasn’t just a dream – scrotes had taken it from my conservatory, whilst I was sleeping in the room next door 🙁

BrickMan

^^^ Happened to a mate in london, was sleeeping upstairs in middle of day when some scrote put rear window through and set to work on his commuter bike locked to radiator.

He woke up only when neighbour started screaming and throwing plates (I sh** ye not) at them as they tried to get the bike out of the partially broken window.
    The kid got away, bike still half in window. He patched up window with some ply, went to work, came back, still all OK, went to be and at 4 in the morning was awoken by now 2x scrotes in his room as they turned on the light. He chased them both down the stairs, one went out of door, second one got bedside table* to back of head then kicked out of door.

*yes, you read correctly, in his ‘I am mega tired and pissed off, and its 4am’ rage, he grabbed the nearest object, a bedside table complete with drawer of junk, and flung it from half way down stairs at the kid. Needless to say, they didn’t come back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only good security is insurance

faz083
    Free Member

^A friend of mine just got a £1600 payout for £2500 replacement value of the goods. Insurance is a con.

BrickMan

Also forgot to add, nosey lady next door had called police again as she heard them taking the board off to get back in the house. they got one of them, but not the one with a bruised head amazingly.

As for OP. Any kind of roller shutter, or up and over door is a nightmare to secure. If they spot it has bolts on it, they tend to get more interest, and the method of choice i’ve seen before is they just charge it en masse and smash the centre out (on 6’+ garage sized). Would advice caging bikes + alarm the hell out of it, go for ultrasonic’s as neighbours rarely ever respond to alarms. What you want to achieve is severe head/ear pain (its legal) so they physically cannot stand to be within the room**

**I’ve just today fitted 2x modified ultrasonic alarms (like what you put on motorbike disc rotors), one on shed door mag sensor, the other with a cable around bikes so if cut or pulled out, sounds the other. Just one is enough to vibrate your eye balls/cause severe ear pain, both, I have yet to try, but I really don’t fancy it without very good ear defenders.

Been broken into before, and I’d secured the hell out of the door, they just cut around the locks in their own time then used the tools in the shed to chip the 12″ hilti bolt out of the concrete floor and took the lot in one go monster new york chain still attached. Loaded into a van and calmly drove off. Insurance didn’t cover it either despite an 8month epic fight with them, I think the insurance pissed me off more than the scrotes did if I’m honest.

harrytoo
    Free Member

More info / links please Brickman.

Sounds like just the thing I’m after. Need something in my garage but alarms round here are ignored.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

^A friend of mine just got a £1600 payout for £2500 replacement value of the goods. Insurance is a con.

Most I’ve known got full replacements. Insurance represents the risk involved but is there for when the thieves out do you. Remember to read the small print and keep good records.

Would agree with above and make sure the security measures delay entry or make it impossible to be in there. However for everything there is a work around.

dickie
    Free Member

I asked this on a another tread, but same theme, what do you think of Smartwater as a deterrent?
    Its not a physical barrier I know & I guess it only has any deterrent value if the criminals know what it is.

albino
    Free Member

I’d be interested in hearing more about the modded ultrasonics too, Brickman.

I’ve had 2 break garage ins this week, 1 disturbed and one successful entry, (for them) – although nothing taken due to big chains and ground anchors etc. Probably back for insurance replacement after the same thing about 20 months ago. Although I’d taken a lot of steps to secure and deter, it obviously wasn’t enough. Time to up the ante!

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Google master blaster sirens, we used to have them in a unit I worked in, they made it so you couldn’t stay in the room.

Anyone tried these?

http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/smoke_cloak_intruder_alarm.html

mattsccm
    Free Member

Smartwater has limited value. It assume that the thieves look for it and then decide that it makes thing hard to move on. In the dark they won’t look and if they have gone to the trouble of taking a door off they will want something for their touble, even if its only 50 quid for a £2K bike. Might be useful if recovered I assume.

xterramac
    Free Member

After reading about the chap who used an iron bar to fend off the bast##ds, I’m thinking of buying a spear gun and an alarm, im not shi##ng you…. If the alarm goes off and im about then the other may well be going off in the direction of the criminal. I’ve thought long and hard about it this, air guns wont do enough and you need a licence for a shot gun, but i could pick up the spear gun for the price of a U lock….

project
    Free Member

CCTV is now so cheap to buy, fit some covert stuff in the garage and outside, hide all the cables and just for extra measure fit one of those silly cheap pretend cameras, as hopefully the thieves will think youre either stupid or have nothing to nick.

Also if they want to get in they will, always go round the block before going home if the bike is on the car,just incase youre followed, never put your home address on the sat nav as home, keep house and garage keys seperate, if you work on the bike in a garage kep the doors closed or fit a curtain, to hide what youre doing, curtains on the windows as well as bars, mortice locks on doors,security lights, the list goes on.

ton

i sell masterblaster sounders at work.
    if you alarm your garage to one of these, and a intruder triggers it, they will not hang around to try and break a well locked bike from it’s anchor point.

bonchance
    Free Member

These sound good – is the antidote a simple earplug/defender though, or is it more than pure aural irritation?

ton

127db is not stopped by ear plugs. 😀

project
    Free Member

With a master blaster site it where it cant be reached, also if it can be smacked with something put a steel cage over it, and remeber if it can be reached , it can be foamed .

BrickMan

Ultrasonic things were bought as a job lot for work a few years back, I think they were from the RS catalogue?
    Electronically they are pretty simple, but as Project has highlighted, all it takes to mute them is a bit of cloth held over them/ submerged in water. So make sure they cannot be got at. Mine are up and hard to reach even with a stepladder as they are obscured by the joists.

The master blaster ones sound a bit easier to rig up, though sound quite expensive? But essentially effect is the same, making the sound so loud/shocking/physically painful that no one, even those hellbent on nicking everything in site will be able to think straight, let alone do anything.

Room size/ acoustics has a lot to do with it too. My shed is not a great space, and two were just easier to wire up as they are on two seperate loops. But at work we have them in strategic places around the building.
    One particular one is in a corridor which must have amazing harmonics as the corridor is uninhabitable if it goes off, but also most of the rest of the building as it acts like some kind of mental high pitched glass shattering sound box, vs. the others are just isolated to those rooms.

argoose
    Free Member

Project, I’ve set the local nick as my home on my sat nav 😀

RicB

Those Garage Defenders are utterly useless. They can be crowbarred up in seconds and because they’re painted a nice bright red act as a handy bullseye for thieves to know which garage contains expensive stuff.

As discussed above; multilayered, unobtrusive security is best, ideally with CCTV.

The only use for massive, visible security is if you’ve just got the insurance replacaments because the scrotes will be keeping an eye out.

rockhopperbike

the thing I like about the Asec locks, is that if you fit them without the external lock “keyhole cover” – then they are all but invisible- as you say unobtrusive.

Nobby

the thing I like about the Asec locks, is that if you fit them without the external lock “keyhole cover” – then they are all but invisible- as you say unobtrusive.

Painted mine the same colour as the door & you really can’t see them until you’re up close.

I rely on those & a wireless house alarm fitted to the garage & a couple of external floodlights.

scottfitz
    Free Member
    bradleyf
    Free Member

If you decide on fitting a Master blaster you should ideally fit it through a Timer relay as it shouldn’t really sound for much longer than 10 minutes as the motor will generate too much heat and burn out.Again with regard to time it shouldn’t be ringing longer than 15 minutes to comply with Council laws otherwise you may face a fine from your local council if people complain.Master blasters will not be affected by foam either as mentioned above they work completely different to a Piezo sounder so i wouldn’t worry about that.

As for fitting one it only takes a flat head screw driver to pop a fuse out of an Unswitched spur that powers it and it’s offso be careful where you mount the sounder and it’s power supply.

As for CCTV don’t be daft enough to fit the recorder in the garage as anyone with half a brain will just take that along with your bikes,so no footage for you.

You’ll never stop somebody from getting in,if they really want something they’ll do whatever they can to get it.All you can do is make it as hard work as possible to delay how long it will take them.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I went for the stealth approach and got one of these with associated huge chain lock.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware/security/locks/-specificproducttype-wall_floor_anchors/Master-Lock-Wall-Or-Floor-Anchor-Solid-Brass-Black-9284320?skuId=9294020

Check the box hasn’t been opened before though. You get two ball bearings to hammer onto the Allen key recesses so you can’t unscrew them. These were missing from my kit and I had to source from elsewhere. I too think those external garage locks attract attention.

jim76
    Free Member

Brick up the garage door, and any windows. Fit a solid steel door and frame. Concrete in a ground anchor and fit an alarm.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Garage Security’ is closed to new replies.