• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garage Heating…?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have a new garage and it’s a bit damp in there. My last garage was connected to the house and had an old radiator plumbed in there which took the chill off and kept it dry, but this one isn’t connected to the house so I can’t do that.
    All I have is electricity for power and all I want to do is get rid of the dampness without eating electricity, not make it into a sauna!
    It’s quite a big single garage 3.5×6.5m with a high ceiling.
    Would an 80w heater like THIS ONE be any use?

dirkpitt74

With a garage that size you might be better off with a fan heater.

demelitia
    Free Member

My garage is a similar footprint but has a low pent roof. I found that ventilation rather than heating was the best way for me to go to stave off the damp.
    A decent gap under the door and 3 vents at the opposite end of the garage up near the roof means there’s a decent draught to keep the place as dry as I need.
    I’ve then got a fan heater to take the edge off when I’m working in there.

irc

Dampness? Don’t heat it dry it. Get a dehumidifier. The desiccant kind which work at cold temps. This sort of thing, though this isn’t a recommendation for that particular model. I have a Prima which I got as end of line at a Homebase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DD122-Simple-Desiccant-Dehumidifier/dp/B00474K8SY

And for boosting the heat while you are actually there a 2kw or better fan heater.

stumpyjon

PP, yes it will work, I have that one and the bigger version in the (double) garage. Keeps it noticeably warmer than outside (still need a gas heater when working in there) and things dry out if put away wet. I just turn them on at the begining of the winter and off at the end. Stops paints etc freezing which ventilation alone won’t.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a mini-dehumidifier in my garage to help keep the dampness at bay.

Previous owner seemed to use an oil-filled radiator out there, but that seems a bit wasteful to me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Stumpyjon, thanks, I think I’ll try one. I’ve found another place the have 6 between 40w and 270w, so I’ll probably get a bigger one than 80w
    Ventilation is an issue yes, as there’s no windows and only one electric roller door. But the main issue is that they roofed it in the wet and it’s never had chance to dry out inside. The inside of the roof is damp and going mouldy as it’s never been dry in the just over 2 months since it was built! It didn’t help when I ran my motorbike for a few minutes enter, steam everywhere, and since I last parked it up 2-3 weeks ago there’s still water on the back tyre that’s not dried out. The walls and floor are bone dry. I need to get the ceiling dried out then clean and stop the mould. Once that’s done a small heater should stop condensation over winter, I’ll just chuck it on a timer/thermostat. I don’t really have room for a dehumidifier to be honest, but there’s room behind the bikes for one of these heaters.

colp

Could you rent a little LPG fan heater for a weekend?
    Would dry it out in no time.

Like this type

I have one. really powerful

finishthat
    Free Member

Unless you remove the moisture its just going to condense again.
    Dehumidifier – there is probably 100 litres of moisture in there to get rid of, it will wreck whatever you store in there if you do not get rid of it.

TheGingerOne

Depending on the size of electric heater you go for, do you need to check that the electrics to the garage can cope with the power load?

When I had electrics installed to my shed, they asked whether I would be running a heater and what size as it made a difference on the cabling that they used

gobuchul
    Free Member

As some of the others have already said, get a dehumidifier.

Heating doesn’t get rid of the moisture.

Drying the air out is a more efficient way of keeping moisture at bay.

jonnyrockymountain

Put a dehumidifier in there and some of the heaters you are talking about, see link below with thermostats the simplex ones in various sizes, I’d probably say 3no 4’ ones

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Tubular_Heaters/index.html

T1000
    Free Member

Rent a dehumidifier not an lpg heater unless you want to make more water….

fossy

I usually have one of the tube heaters on next to the best bike. Haven’t switched it on yet this year. They do keep the damp off.

I’ve also tried the cheap peltier dehumidifiers, and whilst they work, you need them to come on for an hour or two, then go off for an hour as the peltier freezes in cold temperatures. They don’t last more than a year though.

We’ve got a condenser dehumidifier for the house, but I don’t want to knacker that out there. There is ventilation in my garage, but it can get a little damp.

I have a 2kw fan if I’m working out there in the middle of winter. Otherwise I don’t bother as the temperature is good for the turbo – I still need two fans on me to stop melting.

The bikes dry fine in the garage when washed.

You might want to run a fan heater for a few hours to help dry out the roof – just read it was new build.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Garage Heating…?’ is closed to new replies.