Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Garage extension and planning advice
  • Drapoon
    Free Member

Hi,

You would think the best source of info would be the local planning dept. but I was wrong! Basically looking to widen my garage to one side which is located at the end of my garden well away from the house and accessed from a shared private drive. It’s currently single storey flat roofed and just shy of a double garage so I intend widening it by a couple of metres. This will entail knocking a side wall down and sticking an I beam in on piers then spanning new and existing roof timbers off the beam to each side wall. I will keep the construction 200mm off the boundary wall. Now I just need to find out if I require p permission and or building regs? Anyone had experience with similar? Don’t know if this makes a difference but I will be removing the asbestos flat roof and replacing with some other form of material ( Will have the asbestos professionally removed!) Any help /advice greatly appreciated

jeff1155

Try the guide at planning portal.gov.uk

Should tell you about planning and building regulations.

morpho1
    Free Member

For planning, it would basically be seen as a whole new building. So nothing higher than 2.5m (even the existing bits) if its within 2m of the boundary, can’t cover more than 50% of the curtilage. pretty much the only two points to deal with. full details can be found at https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/mini-guide/outbuildings/0

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sounds like you’d need planning due to it’s location. Buildings regs is a given.

IANAP though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Garage extension and planning advice’ is closed to new replies.