Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Garage doors – another thread. This one about my broken electric one.
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Over Christmas our garage door stopped working – I press the zapper and nothing happens at all – no noise (ie clicks of solenoids going, motors whirring but not engaging etc) however the convenience light comes on so I know the remote and receiver unit are both working.

The door isn’t jammed as I can get it to manually open (using my own contraption of a correctly-sized spindle attached to my cordless drill).

It stopped working once before but suddenly came back to life again, this time it hasn’t.

Where should I be looking/what could be the problem?

Cheers

hammyuk
    Free Member

Motor fuse in the control box would be my first place to check.
    Then check relays.
    Sometimes its enough to pull them out, put back and thats it.

johndoh
    Free Member

In the control box? As in the unit that sits beside the door (the receiver unit) or is it part of the actual door itself?

hammyuk
    Free Member

The box beside the door – that will send the signals to the motor unit.
    Start/stop/etc.
    Check if the motor has a cut out on it – this may have been triggered.

johndoh
    Free Member

Cheers – will take a look at the weekend

johndoh
    Free Member

Cheers Hammy – after working out how to disassemble the receiver unit I found the pull out fuses and right enough the power one had blown (I’d already checked the mains plug fuse where the power comes from – I hadn’t even thought there would be another fuse inside the unit). Anyway, the hardest bit was trying to locate a 20mm 6A fuse on a Sunday morning but I managed it and it’s all working again!

Thank you for your advice 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Garage doors – another thread. This one about my broken electric one.’ is closed to new replies.