Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garage door canopy?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Has anyone got a canopy over their garage door? Our door sits on a section of driveway that’s lower down and I’m wondering if a canopy would be a good idea compared to building a new concrete slab on the ground (which would be an issue for the existing garage door framework I think). It’s a roller door so changing the height of the floor wouldn’t actually be that much of a problem.

Currently the rain that hits the door pools slightly on the ground and seeps underneath into the garage.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cut a drainage channel in the ground across the garage door to a soakaway at the side furthest from the house.

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-garage-threshold-seal-black-2-5m/37019

That some good adhesive and a bunch of mastic for the edges

I had the same issue. Tried the cheaper one that attaches to the door. Didnt work water would pool up inside the garage horrendously.

Since fitting I have no such issues.

Canopy wouldn’t have helped as it was rain driving at the door with the wind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cut a drainage channel in the ground across the garage door to a soakaway at the side furthest from the house.

Previous owner tried this at mine which is good for water on the floor but didn’t stop it driving under the door in the wind

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the above on the threshold of my garage door, works very well. Although I do gave an aco drainage channel in the front of the garage this helps keep drafts out.

One tip though is that if you fit it in winter, as I did, it can be a bit of a pain to close the door in summer as a perfect fit when the rubber is cold isn’t a perfect fit when the rubber has warmed up.

I got mine from ebay with adhesive included.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Might try and cut a channel into the drain from the floor. I think the driveway was added years ago and the level’s too high now.

Other option as I say is to shutter and pour concrete to raise the slab where the door lands, might be the most effective choice, though it means concreting in the ends of the door runner.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Christ that’s rough. Did the previous owner do anything without making a right meal of it ?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Easiest and my option is the latter.
    New section of slab – on an angle a good 100mm inside past the runners.
    Won’t matter as you’ll adjust the stops on the motor at the new level anyway.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Why is there a kerb inside the garage!?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Don’t know if you read my last post Kenneth. Driveway is higher than the garage.

Yep hammy I think that’s the one. The Hormann can be easily adjusted to stop at a new height. And I can DIY this so budget tastic!

trail_rat
    Free Member

With a slope into the garage all you’ll end up with is a bigger step further into the garage. It might be dry but it’ll d next to useless as a garage need a 4*4 just to get in and out.

Proceed with caution.

Looks like that concrete has a slope on it already

I’d be tempted to think about lowering the drain and chopping out the concrete and relaying it to a lower level back out to the drain from the door level.

Should end up with only a small step at the drain.

Obviously check my assumptions with a string an level before taking action.

Obviously previous owner or his trademan doesn’t know how hid string line works

hammyuk
    Free Member

The step will be no higher trail_rat in reality – 1/100 is all it needs to flow water away.
    Even if he makes it 10mm higher on the back edge it’ll make no real world difference other can keeping it dry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s pretty horrendous for a garage as is.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garage door canopy?’ is closed to new replies.