Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Games to play with a 4 1/2 yo
  • dannybgoode

I’ve promised babybgoode that I’d get him and I a PS4 (admittedly partly as a ploy to get one part the purchasing clerk but also because he’s getting into games).

Any recommendations as to what games to get to play-either ones he can play on his own or that we can play together.

Obviously the various lego series but anything else?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be able to destroy him at Fifa for a couple years, enjoy it while it lasts!

jekkyl

Hide and Seek!

dannybgoode

I’m actually the worst fifa player on the planet so I fear he wound destroy me!

midlifecrashes

Is the box big enough to make a castle or garage for Matchbox cars?

DS and Wii for that age group unless things have changed a lot.

dannybgoode

But what would I get out of a Wii?!

Rachet & Clank is on my radar as well…

jekkyl

Kerplunk!

Kryton57

How about cycling, football, catch, cards, number games, spelling games? Any number of motor, mental,or educational skills? Or alternatively teach him to stare at the telly all day.

A ps4 for a 4yo – seriously?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Wii.. Mario Kart

andysredmini
    Free Member

My daughter loves grand theft auto 5 on the PS4. You have to turn the volume off but she would spend ages just running around the city. Not really doing anything other than looking round.
    She also cycles, swims, rock climbs, goes to beavers, reads and writes so if she wants to play games every now and then that’s fine with me.

dannybgoode

Thanks for the parenting tips:). I’m quite happy with the amount of stuff we do together and the variety of activities.

This is just a bit of fun for us when the weather is a bit shitty and we’re having a chilled afternoon.

Trust me-he has more books than the average kids library, we have annual passes to most of the museums in sheffield and we even on occasions feed the dicuss in the local park.

A bit of game time just adds to the mix 😀

mechanicaldope

Biggest problem my now 6 year old has is her hands are too small for the controller.

daviek

Dare I say Minecraft?

Kryton57

Thanks for the parenting tips:)

You’re welcome, you know somebody had to, so I thought well why not. Kj01 quite likes Halo btw. As much as I’m sure I’m teaching him to be a psychotic alien killer…

dannybgoode

Biggest problem my now 6 year old has is her hands are too small for the controller.

Yes I had thought about that. I’ll make sure he can handle the controller. He’s played with them in shops before and seems OK with it.

You’re welcome, you know somebody had to, so I thought well why not. Kj01 quite likes Halo btw. As much as I’m sure I’m teaching him to be a psychotic alien killer…

I’ll try and keep him away from the likes of Halo for now-wouldn’t want to go from bad parent to outright terrible parent now would I? 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

. As much as I’m sure I’m teaching him to be a psychotic alien killer

#somebodyneedstobe
    #thinkofthefutureofthehumanrace
    We need space literate pilots for our future, you not seen enders game

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Lego games are two player. Marvel super heroes and stars wars especially good) rocket league , I can’t remember the name but there is a nice one set in a land made of paper …..
    But to be honest my son rarely plays it. Angry Birds 2 is more popular but even that cannot exceed the excitement of snakes and ladders in all its old school glory.

dannybgoode

Yeah he wants the Lego Avengers game – he loves all the characters.

To be honest I don’t expect him to play it that much. Me though?! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t buy one ‘for him’.

Buy one for the family, and hook it up to the living room telly, so you are all sharing the same resource (PS4 or telly). Remembering that PS4s do Netflix, Amazon Video, iPlayer and so on if you don’t have a smart telly.

I think it’s a dreadful idea to give these expensive items to kids as their possessions. And if you put it in their bedroom, that is going to be a recipe for disaster because they will want to play it constantly.

Do not under-estimate how incredibly addictive these things are for little kids. Mental crack for their innocent minds. We tried all sorts to get our kids involved in games, because we like games, but when they finally got into Minecraft it’s become a real battle to stop them wanting to do it every single second and resenting being dragged away.

Although it might be lessening now – we did have a successful bike ride at the weekend with pretty good buy-in.

But if you feel you have to – the Lego games were the first ones she got into – the Star Wars one is made of short episodes which don’t require continuity, and you can’t really die.

dannybgoode

Thanks molgrips – I guess my OP was bit subtle. It will be in the living room and it will essentially be mine.

The sharing with babybgoode bit is a ploy to get the purchase authorised by Mrs Danny.

No way on god’s earth does he even have a TV in his bedroom.

That said I do want some games that we can play together as and when the mood takes as it can be fun. Trust me – he’s an active a 4 yo as you could want and invariably wants to be out and about doing stuff its actually a challenge to get him to chill out every so often even when he is completely shattered!

RustySpanner

For an extra £30.00, get a Wii as well.
    Hilarious watching all the friends and family who ‘Don’t do videogames’ begging for another go.
    🙂

Bet you a fiver you enjoy it too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lego games are single big screen multiplayer and I found them thoroughly enjoyable as well as the kids. We had star wars complete trilogy which was good value but payig for each episode individually probably not so much. also not sure if it’s available for PS4 anyway. Little big planet was a bit hard for our young-uns. Minecraft is dangerously addictive, but fun in creative mode without the zombies. You can just build stuff, instead of having the stupid gameplay digging its claws into your brain. The drive to find more resources to build stuff I think is the biggest problem – which you don’t have in creative mode.

he’s an active a 4 yo as you could want

Yeah – NOW he is…….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Games to play with a 4 1/2 yo’ is closed to new replies.