Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Game birds on the road when you're driving
  • cinnamon_girl

So what do you do?

Run ’em over so tea’s sorted?

Stop and let them wander from one side of the road t’other and back again?

Sound your horn?

We’re talking mainly youngsters here. 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s been a long time since I’ve met a game bird!
    Chance would be a fine thing!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Oh, that sort of game bird.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sound my horn, which is what I always do when I see wildlife or domesticated animals on the road. Animals generally respond to loud noises better than humans.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

OK, completely not the topic I was expecting!

But on topic, if you do run them over, you can’t have them, but the car behind you can! So quickly phone a mate!

Where we live we just stop and let them do their thing (as we also do with deer, peoples ruddy chickens, fearless cats, snakes, OAPs…)

scaled
    Free Member

I’d let em out the way, don’t want to destroy part of the local economy!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You wouldnt run over sheep in the road would you.. just slow down

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Usually I sound the horn so they fly off.

Give them 75 yards

Then shoot them with my 12 bore.

Cletus

They are a bloody menace. A few years ago I hit one on the A40. It was early morning and the stupid thing took off just before I hit it. It made a big hole in the front plastic panel which cost £300+ to fix. I

cinnamon_girl

You wouldnt run over sheep in the road would you.. just slow down

I came to a complete halt and all the young pheasants did was dither! But you never know what’s coming up behind you on a country lane so felt I was a bit of a sitting duck.

And, yes, could make a nice mess of the car. 🙁

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ah, well i wouldnt stop for long, theyre only worth 50p once dead

crossland
    Free Member

All just been released ready for the start of the shooting season, thick as a couple of short planks

geetee1972
    Free Member

I give them a damn good plucking because I’m a pheasant plucker.

cinnamon_girl

When cycling today I came across many nurseries, both pheasant and partridge. I even pinged my bell but to no avail.

But when they suddenly fly, when you don’t realise they’re there. 😯

bruk

Care you don’t collect them on the front. My old boss hit 1 and bust his radiator when it lodged there, cooked both bird and engine.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I was on the Leeds Outer Ring Road, Wortley area one saturday afternoon. There’s a beck (small stream to non-Yorkshire folk) in the area.

Mama Mallard & 8 ducklings decided they didn’t want to use the culvert under the road, oh no, they were going to use the green cross code.
    Fantastic sight, 2 lanes of traffic held up in both directions by a duck & her offspring.

They all made it across the road 🙂

bruneep

john_drummer
    Free Member

what the fox is that?

bruneep

Not sure it might have been a deer.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Uranium filled fox by the look of it, driving at er, 30 ish?

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, that is seriously grim. 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

I just don’t see how that’s possible!

john_drummer
    Free Member

mmm, venison

john_drummer
    Free Member

good job it wasn’t a moose, eh?

nick1962
    Free Member

Did it survive?

john_drummer
    Free Member

the car?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d that a still no eye deer ?

tarquin
    Free Member

Brake fairly hard.

I nearly hit a pheasant on track at Cadwell, came round Barn, onto the start/finish straight, flat out, starts walking into the track a few hundred meters up the road.

I didn’t fancy hitting it and having a broken bumper/radiator/oil cooler or windscreen!

Over here with Kangaroos/Wombats etc, hit them straight on with the middle of the car and don’t swerve, more chance of having an accident that way. Only hit one wombat up to now luckily I was in the work Land Cruiser and it bounced off the diffs and didn’t do any damage.

The car two lanes over from me on the motorway in Sydney cleaned up a roo once though when I was coming back from the airport. That was an eye opener as it was in my lane only seconds before!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

game bird meets game bird…

zokes
    Free Member

Going over Buttertubs a couple of months back, I slowed, honked, then stopped for a sheep that would not move. In the end I had to gently cajole it out of the way with the bumper!

One past, it just went back to licking the tarmac where it was before 😯

RealMan
    Free Member

Not sure it might have been a deer.

Was just enjoying my breakfast as well..

spooky_b329

Apparently its a myth that the driver who killed the animal/game can’t take it but following drivers can. Anyone including the first driver can take it. Anyone confirm this?!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

killing and eating game is poaching, taking home road kill you found for the pot is just called odd.

cheez0
    Free Member

depends on the roadkill.

neatly dispatched pheasant or deer, lovely!

hedgehog or rook, probably not.. though I bet someone will be along shortly to correct me!

Gorehound
    Free Member

You hit a pheasant or anything else for that matter with your car and it’s not worth eating anyway so drive on and leave the bugger where it is.

zokes
    Free Member

You hit a pheasant or anything else for that matter with your car and it’s not worth eating anyway so drive on and leave the bugger where it is.

Eh?

Gorehound
    Free Member

You hit anything with your car and the meat isn’t worth eating so leave it where you hit it.

zokes
    Free Member

You hit anything with your car and the meat isn’t worth eating so leave it where you hit it.

Depending on the animal in question, the speed of the impact, whether it was a glancing blow, and many other variables…

muddy@rseguy

As far as I know it’s not illegal to eat roadkill and it’s not poaching if the game birds are not on the landowners property ( may be wrong about this one but can’t see how you police such things)

After quite a lot of close calls with Pheasants ( one was crossing the M25….gulp) and having one go bouncing off my windscreen last year on a local road after it flew out a hedge having been disturbed by traffic I think that they are the thickest animals in the world….”Shall I fly away from danger? No, I think I wil run instead…fly high into the air? No, I shall fly at about 2ft off the ground” TBH Clay pigeons have more brains.

Still, they do taste good roasted ( Pheasants, not clay pigeons) and there are many serving suggestions available :

Roadkill cookbook

Gorehound
    Free Member

The chances of a glancing blow are very slim. It’s easy to see most of you on here are townies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Game birds on the road when you're driving’ is closed to new replies.