Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gall bladder stones, pain shocker – (MRI scanner content)
  • ChrisE
    Free Member

Just got out of hospital aftre three days and need to go back in mid-March to have the gall-bladder removed. Boy that was painful on Sunday when the stones in there were agitated and giving agony to an inflamed g-bladder. Not quite, but nearly eclipsed by the scaryness of going through an MRI scanner.

So glad to be home again!

Anyone else been there?

C

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had kidney stones once, the pain just came on suddenly while I was at work on a night shift, I got to ride in an ambulance, a rather pleasant morphine injection and an overnight stay in hospital. On the whole I'd rather not go through that again 🙂

wwaswas

"nearly eclipsed by the scaryness of going through an MRI scanner"

I had one on my knee a couple of weeks ago.

"It'll be like a washing machine"

well, yes but the sirens and clonks were a bit of a surprise!

I felt like I was in the engine room of some 60's sci-fi spaceship.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

My missus had Gallstones that evolved into Pancreatitis and nearly killed her, can remember how much pain she was in
    She had the Gall bladder out by microsurgery and was very shocked to get a vial full of the stones, looked like gravel from the drive

MRI's are ok though, strangely enough the NHS one was about twice as noisy than when I went private
    NHS must have the value scanner

shoei
    Free Member

Going for my 4th MRI scan in the past 2 years soon.
    The NHS one i went in first, strip off and put on the silly gown, but the last 3 i had done under Bupa where great. Just remove belt and any other coins/metal from person and into the scanner. No need to strip off.
    Bit claustrophobic first time going in head first but used to it now.
    Last one was hardest, asked to lie still and then played me Terry wogans radio show. Trying hard not to laugh at the show while being scanned.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Hah, wimps – my stone came out by itself when I went for a pee.
    Blood and agony and a long ride home in blood spattered jeans.

TimP
    Free Member

Gall stones do make the manscara run a touch. Had them when I was 19 and home for Xmas hols from uni. My parent were having a dinner party downstairs, and the pain came on slowly but reached the point where I couldn't move. It came in waves allowing me just enough time to get off the floor before it dropped me to the floor again. Parents eventually found me curled up in a ball on the floor as they were going to bed.

The painkillers were AWESOME though!!

Was told by the doctor they are usually associated with fat menopausal women, which is not great to hear as a 19yr old man…

satsoma
    Free Member

Had horrible gallstones, one of them got out into my bile duct and gave me jaundice so I looked like a Simpsons character. Not a good look.

I can totally sympathise with the pain, when I came out of surgery I was screaming as I woke up (but am a girl, so it's allowed). The morphine was awesome though…*sigh*

psling
    Free Member

A kidney stone maybe, you'd have fun peeing out a gall stone 😯 😳

Vomit inducing pain, worst pain I've experienced (worse than a double compound fracture!). Keyhole removal leaves little evidence of removal of gall bladder. Subsequent uncontrolled bile supply to stomach can mean more frequent trips to loo after meals, but hopefully no more pain. My particular illness has left me with occasional bouts of acute pancreatitis which basically means litle or no alchohol, little or no strong cheese, and little or no spicy food 😕

rOcKeTdOg

NOt experienced the pain or mri, but see gallbladders every day at work and there are some scarily sized stones in them and the make me shudder!

ChrisE
    Free Member

Apparently the MRI was to see that none of the stones (or grains of sand?) had exited the gall-bladder and got into the duct. The consultant was worried as the blood test results are showing the liver to be hay-wire but the MRI showed clear. Was lucky as my sister works in the Radiology dept so probably got wisked through a bit quicker. Took three days though to do all the tests, ultrasounds, MRI, seeing consultants etc.

need some serious sleep now!

C

thejesmonddingo

No gallstones,but had MRI of head about 6 months ago,reet scarey.
    Ian

sharkbait
    Free Member

I had pancreatitus cuased by Gall stones about 4 years ago.

Not nice. GP initially said it was reflux which I didn't believe but went with it. Had another attack a few months later (caused by small stone escaping the gall bladder and impacting where the pancreatic duct meets the bile duct, thus stopping the pancreatic fluid from getting into the gut so it back up and starts damaging the pancreas) and ended up in hospital for a total of 10 days.

First 5 days I was only allowed 20ml or water an hour and no food at all to allow the pancreas to calm down.
    Only solution I think is removal of the gall bladder and although I was an 'urgent' case I couldn't get the op for about 5 months, during which time I could have another attack at any time, so I paid up and went private 6 weeks later which was the soonest they could do it due to inflamation of the internal organs.
    My first op and I was pretty scared but it was a walk in the park. All fixed since and no side effects of gall bladder removal apart from it sometime being a bit easier to poo than normal if you see what I mean 😯

Consultant afterwards told me just how dangerous Pancreatitus can be – certainly a killer. Don't mess with it!

Edit: I eat completely normally now and don't avoid anything as my crap uphill performance testifies 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep, kidney stone…. simples 😉

ChrisE: until you get the op be careful about what you eat and drink. try and keep away from fatty foods and big meals because the more you 'excite' the gall bladder the greater the chance of a little stone escaping and causing more damage and probably put the op back. They probably told you that anyway.

Hope you get your op on time….. I was warned that any cancer op will always take preference so the chances of being bumped were quite real, which is why I went private.

Joxster
    Free Member

I've got 4 kidney stones waiting to evacuate my body, I'm sure its going to be fun…..

zaskar
    Free Member

My Mum had this back in '89.

They pretty much took the gall bladder out and left a massive scar on her stomach-looks like she was knifed.

I thought they would use ultrasonics to shatter the stones?

Hope the op is not as severe anymore eek!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I thought they would use ultrasonics to shatter the stones?

That's kidney stones I think, defo not gall stones

Hope the op is not as severe anymore eek!

Keyhole now so all you get are 4 small scars and out the next day. I did hear that IF they have to open you up it's a big job and puts you out of action for a number of weeks 🙁

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gall bladder stones, pain shocker – (MRI scanner content)’ is closed to new replies.