Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Galaxy S5
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Anyone interested? OK so not a massive leap from the 4 but looks a good bit of kit eh? I went from an S1 to a 3 and not probably go for the 5 now there’s a few more chances to get LTE where I live.

Mind you, then there’s the HTC M8…. Or Galaxy “Round”…. Hmm…

mogrim

Meh. Looks like an S4, which may be an excellent phone but it looks cheap and plasticky. For what it’s going to cost I’d want something with a bit more style.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Meh. Looks like an S4, which may be an excellent phone but it looks cheap and plasticky

Don’t most people carry their phones in “cheap” (mine cost £15ish) and plasticky cases anyway? *clumsy*

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t most people carry their phones in “cheap” (mine cost £15ish) and plasticky cases anyway? *clumsy*

Possibly, but that doesn’t negate making the thing look like it fell out of a cracker.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I don’t think it looks that bad. All the other Galaxy phones had plastic cases and perhaps bar the original Galaxy, the others have outsold other phones. It’s not a huge leap from the 4 but if you’re upgrading from a 3 then it’s a reasonable jump.

Not wanting to put the cat amongst the pigeons but the lovely looking iPhone with all it’s glass and brushed metal was not particularly drop proof and needed a case so even the best looking phones could do with some protection from slips trips and ‘tard moments.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t most people carry their phones in “cheap” (mine cost £15ish) and plasticky cases anyway?

Speek for yourself, mine’s in a nice(ish) leather wallet.

But yea, it is a bit dissapointing when you get one out of a box and it’s just plactic when al the competition is machined from solid blocks of aluminium. Even replacing the faux-carbon battery cover with somethign more solid would be an improvement.

Jamie
    Free Member

All the other Galaxy phones had plastic cases and perhaps bar the original Galaxy, the others have outsold other phones

Oh, it will sell bazillions. Just a shame they didn’t follow HTC/LG/Apple/Sony in making it actually look like a phone that cost £500+.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah I guess this is the flagship model so could be better executed. There was talk of it being aluminium. Having said that, my S3 has been in an Otterbox case since day 1 and the rear casing has never really bothered me being plastic. I think the HTC1 is a lovely looking phone and dual front speakers give a good sound. Just always liked Sammy phones and the modding community for new roms.

I also reckon those in the market for an S4 would be able to pick up a bargain quite soon.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The Galaxy range build material is what put me off Samsung phones. I’ve just got the Z1 compact and it’s a thing of wonder. After years of Apple, I am very impressed.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Is it in a case, or nekked?

warton
    Free Member

I had an S3, and I will never buy another Samsung phone again. heap of junk, that they couldn’t even be bothered to continue upgrading to the latest android OS.

I have a Nexus 5 now, and i’s so much better in every way.

Jamie
    Free Member

The Galaxy range build material is what put me off Samsung phones. I’ve just got the Z1 compact and it’s a thing of wonder. After years of Apple, I am very impressed.

I had a look at the Z1 Compact the other week, and looks very nice Finally a half decent screen in a Z phone as well. It’s IP55 and IP58 rating almost makes me buy it….

….I just can’t face the ballache of moving from iOS to Android.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Warton it’s not hard to stick 4.4.2 onto an S3 bro. Bloody good little phone’s imho.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Jamie I was a doubter, but it isn’t that bad. You have to do things a little bit differently but not massively different. I still have my iPad so Mr Jobs won’t come and haunt me yet (I’ve heard it’s like the film “the ring” if you sell all your Apple products)

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

The new z2 looks good along with the new htc one. The s5 apparently waterproof too?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wouldn’t surprise me, theres a waterproof version of the s4. The problem is to make them work when wet they have to downgrade the screen a bit for a feature 99% of people dont need.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I had the xperia z and the screen was stunning much better than a s3 or iphone 5s imo. The new z2 has that new 4k hd screen installed looks tasty!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie I was a doubter, but it isn’t that bad. You have to do things a little bit differently but not massively different. I still have my iPad so Mr Jobs won’t come and haunt me yet (I’ve heard it’s like the film “the ring” if you sell all your Apple products)

If it was just the phone then I would have made the move, it’s just all the little things that sync between my MBA and iPhone 4 that dissuades me from changing.

For example, I can listen to a podcast on the Downcast app on the laptop, and pick up from wherever I left off on the iOS app as it syncs the track position via iCloud. It’s stuff like that. I have no loyalty to any OS/Hardware, but where apps usually come with iOS/OSX versions, Tweetbot/Downcast/Reeder etc, it’s rare, outside of the Dropbox/Evernotes/Google apps of this world, that you get Android & OSX version.

The iPhone 4 is now appaling slow, tho. Have to open some apps, then go make a cup of tea while they open 😀

IA

The new z2 has that new 4k hd screen i

No it doesn’t. Nice 1080p screen yes, but not 4k. It’ll record 4K video tho which might be confusing you?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I gets ya. It’s a ‘mare if you are fully integrated into the Apple way. Luckily I had sold my soul to Google 😀 So the now service already owns me 😛

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The s5 apparently waterproof too?

Water resistant. Looking at the micro usb port and the gaps around where the case clicks in, it’s not waterproof.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

My bad saw the 4k mark plasterd all over the advert in a paper.

Could have swore it was waterproof or am I thinking of the s4 active? Toi many phones comming out : s

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Nope 4k recording and a 1080*1920 screen. Looks a nice bit of kit. Pretty decent battery too – should get a couple of days use?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Galaxy S5’ is closed to new replies.