Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gahhhh! Idiot Garmin 800 question…
  • andyl46
    Free Member

I’ve bought an 800 with the 1:50,000 Garmin GB discoverer maps, but I live in Norn Irn and the maps don’t cover here…

I dont fancy shelling out another £100 to Garmin for the Northern Ireland Maps alone, and I’d like to hang onto the GB maps for the odd trip to explore remote bits of GB by bike.

Is there a way of getting Northern Irish maps that will work on an Edge 800 but not from Garmin?

Thanks in advance, Andy.

DavidB
    Free Member
    andyl46
    Free Member

Thank you David. I think I may be too dumb to do this, suddenly the £100 looks good value!

excitable1
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/125k-os-maps-for-garmin-edge-800

Follow this link to my similar question. Mobile Altas Creator as described works and is dead easy !

Here’s where to get it safely:

http://mobile-atlas-creator.en.softonic.com/

DavidB
    Free Member

andy: it is a really simple procedure.

0) remove your current SD card

1) Download THIS

2) Unzip it

3) copy the file GMAPSUPP.IMG to your GARMIN device (plug the Garmin in it should pop up as a disk drive) in the root directory

4) Run the installer in the ZIP file to install maps on your PC or Mac

If you get really scared the bloke will load it onto an SD card for you for £11

singlespeedstu

If you get really scared the bloke will load it onto an SD card for you for £11

Where do i find “the bloke”?

clowner
    Free Member

http://talkytoaster.info/payment-faq.htm

If you’ve got an SD card though it really is simple.

I’d rename the *.img to something meaning full rather than GMAPSUPP.img as the edge supports multiple img file.

Copy the img onto the Garmin folder in the SD card and your done.

Maps are from OpenStreetMap so all above board

DenDennis
    Free Member

3) copy the file GMAPSUPP.IMG to your GARMIN device (plug the Garmin in it should pop up as a disk drive) in the root directory

Thats a 485meg file there, am i doing something wrong, or is it too big to just copy direct to garmin 800? mines says 105meg max size…

cheers

DavidB
    Free Member

DenDennis, you might need to delete one that is on there already. Also clean out the Activities file.

clowner, does the 800 allow you to select which map in this case? that could be pretty damned useful and I’ve not tried it

DavidB
    Free Member

Where do i find “the bloke”?

Either here (the bloke), or in the Pint and Prostitute on Manchester Road

andyl46
    Free Member

DavidB I am forever in your debt. If you are ever in Belfast, there’s a pint or two waiting here for you!

clowner
    Free Member

DenDennis you are trying to copy onto the device directly and not the SD card.

The SD card on mine appears one drive letter up from the main unit.

If not already there you will need to create a Garmin directory to copy the .img file into

clowner
    Free Member

DavidB yeah you can select which maps you want to have enabled.

It’s under Wrench -> Settings -> Maps -> Select Map

In this menu all maps enabled on the device will be displayed and you can enable/disable them all individually.

DavidB
    Free Member

clowner -> get yourself to Belfast and have my free pint on me. I am such a dipstick to have missed that

DenDennis
    Free Member

quick question for any garmin users with the openstreetmap map file linked above:

the map has loads of icons on, such as triangles for ped crossings, so many that the map becomes obliterated at certain zoom levels.

is there a way to turn the display of this stuff off, or does it require a different map file?

thanks in advance 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gahhhh! Idiot Garmin 800 question…’ is closed to new replies.