Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gah, maxle sheared whilst wheel on fork. Hacksaw time?
  • tiredjohn

As per title I went to take my front wheel out of forks (pikes) this morning, maxle was a bit stiff and when I was unscrewing it the main metal axel through the maxle sheared a few mm down into the maxle itself. I thought there was some hope because I found a 8mm hex at the end where it has sheared but it rounded that the second I put an Allen key anywhere near it, arrgh.

The front wheel is a hope evo with the 15mm converters so I’m thinking the only thing now to do is to saw through them and then through the maxle leaving enough of the maxle proud so I can get a pair of mole grips on it to unscrew it.

Anyone know of any other options before I take the plunge?

Alpha1653

Is the maxle aluminium? If so, try spacking a flat head screw driver into the threaded end with a FO big hammer and try to screw it out?

Alpha1653

Is the maxle aluminium? If so, try spacking a flat head screw driver into the threaded end with a FO big hammer and try to screw it out?

GeForceJunky

4mm drill bit through the axle spacer and the maxle – insert allen key/screwdriver to unscrew it. Keeps the axle spacer perfectly usable afterwards … and even saves a bit of weight!

tiredjohn

Thanks for the ideas

Yes maxle is aluminium I think, it’s soft anyway so I can give the screwdriver method a go.

GeForce, sounds very promising . I’m out for a bit now but I’ll have a look when I get back to see how it would work.

tiredjohn

Thanks for the ideas

Yes maxle is aluminium I think, it’s soft anyway so I can give the screwdriver method a go.

GeForce, sounds very promising . I’m out for a bit now but I’ll have a look when I get back to see how it would work.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Seems to be a week for maxle breakages.

breadcrumb

4mm drill bit through the axle spacer and the maxle – insert allen key/screwdriver to unscrew it. Keeps the axle spacer perfectly usable afterwards … and even saves a bit of weight!

I don’t think that will work, the axle well want to move through the hub but the spacer will be fixed in place..

tiredjohn

Update,

Tried the ideas mentioned and broke a couple of tools before giving up. Popped in to the fantastic Freedom Bikes in Brighton on the way to work and Alan had it sorted out in time for me to pick it up for lunch. Very happy 🙂

VanHalen

you are not good with bike parts are you john…

what are you going to break next?

mark

al

What we have learnt here I hope is that you should clean and oil your Maxle regularly.

nickjb
    Free Member

What we have learnt here I hope is that you should clean and oil your Maxle regularly.

Took mine out and greased it the last time one of these threads popped up. Probably time to to do it again, then.

al

Grease? RS techs suggest oil. Grease it’s quite sticky.

jonba
    Free Member

In my case knowing how the damn thing works so you don’t over crank it. Got mine sorted this evening after buying some new mole grips.

Will need to buy a new one and will get one of the new type.

Remembering to take it out after a ride where you get a puncture is also a good idea. Don’t carry grease with me on a ride so probably went in wet…

tiredjohn

you are not good with bike parts are you john…

what are you going to break next?

mark

Should we have a sweepstake? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gah, maxle sheared whilst wheel on fork. Hacksaw time?’ is closed to new replies.