Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Fussy Eaters
  • fasthaggis

What do you eat now as an adult that you refused as a child ?

We have 2 boys and one is very specific about what he will eat ( a bit like I was as a kid) ,the other one would eat roadkill as long as it was cooked .

As a kid ,no way would I have ever believed that I would end up liking
    mushy peas ,broccoli and mackerel. 🙂

scotroutes

Sprouts. I used to hate them, got to think of them a “acceptable” and now (thanks to Ton) love them roasted to buggery.

BoardinBob

I’ll eat anything that’s put in front of me with the exception of

Oysters
    Raw tomato
    Mushrooms

Fussy eaters do my head in (the wife’s one). growing up, I ate what my mum cooked for me or I went hungry.

oldnpastit

Tomatoes. Got hooked one day in France. And Bakewell tart. After I discovered the ones made in Derbyshire rather than the school canteen.

brakes
    Free Member

mushrooms, olives and parsnips.

I still despise parsnips, but will eat them to be polite, and because I’m greedy.

I still believe that I won’t get any pudding unless I’ve cleared the plate. I will also clear everyone else’s plates so that they can get some pudding.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Hated fish as a kid, but will eat some now. I prefer white fish though, has a less fishy taste.

Didn’t like cauliflower but don’t mind it now.

Still don’t eat raw tomatoes, blue cheese or mushrooms.

zippykona

I was fussy as a kid and didn’t really eat much veg.
    Then I encountered veg that wasn’t boiled for 20 minutes by my mum.
    Delicious.
    I still won’t eat tomatoes or any internal organs.

sweepy
    Free Member

There’s no fussy eaters in Somalia. I don’t know why people are allowed to get away with it, I’ve got a mate who cooks three seperate meals every night, in a household of three.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

As a kid, I’d eat nothing (and I mean nothing) except cheese on toast or bacon.
    As an adult, I eat pretty much everything except cheese or bacon.

Parsnips is a good one. Learnt to love them as an adult, but only after some serious roasting. Travelling certainly broadens the mind and tastebuds – I’m just getting a taste for Durian, but it still smells like something died – Biltong falls into a similar category.

Then I encountered veg that wasn’t boiled for 20 minutes by my mum.

I think the cooking ability of parents plays a big part 😉

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Didn’t eat broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower and parsnips as a kid.

Will now eat them all out of choice. Lovely.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Coleslaw. hated it as a child, now gone slaw’ mad

meehaja
    Free Member

apples. My sister liked apples, i liked bananas. I was 27 before I ate an apple. It was a whole new world! Apples, apple pie, apple sauce, cider… its amazing!

spacemonkey

Would never eat liver, kidney or other such organs and still won’t.

portlyone

Hate(d) bananas and sweet potato. Will have them if chipped though, must be a texture thing.

fasthaggis

I think the cooking ability of parents plays a big part

For me it was School dinners that put me off loads of stuff,jeez ,they were grim .
    Stew that took an hour to chew and tatties that were always grey,veg that was 80% liquid …bleargh 😯

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I was always told I was a fussy eater as a kid, turns out my mum was a shite cook , putting the veg on at the same time as the meat.With the result that you could have hung wallpaper with the ensuing slurry .I know enjoy most veg but can’t eat anything even slightly overcooked as it makes me want to retch .Things like red peppers and brocolli came along when I was a teenager and cheered up my diet

avdave2

As a kid I’d eat potatoes, carrots and peas as long as none of the shells were broken.

Woke up one morning when I was 19 decided I’d had enough of crap, stopped eating meat there and then, walked into a green grocers and just bought a load of veg. I’ll eat just about any vegetable now.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

As a kid I ate pretty anything … until my mother acquired a pressure cooker. All food emerging from that thing tasted the same whether it was stew or rice pudding. It was downhill from there …

stcolin
    Free Member

My overall diet is shocking to say the least. I’m not as fussy as I once was, I eat a larger variety of food now, but just the wrong amounts and the wrong times and either too little or too much.

My biggest problem is fueling myself for bike rides. I’ve gone on too many 3-4 hour rides without having much more than nothing beforehand.

wl
    Free Member

Seems to me it’s virtually considered abuse nowadays if a parent doesn’t ask what their kids want for tea, and cook three different meals to accommodate each one. Then some parents whinge about being skint/busy etc. World’s gone mad – kids should eat what they’re given unless there’s a very good reason.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Couldn’t eat pasta with lines on (such as penne), still can’t.
    Wouldn’t have dreamed of eating humous or couscous as a kid but will now.
    Still don’t like cucumber, or pears, or mayo…

john_drummer
    Free Member

What spacemonkey said.

But as a kid I wouldn’t eat cheese, tomatoes, onions, curry (school meal variety)

Now I love curry and pizza and cauliflower cheese, cheese on toast, onions, etc

ransos
    Free Member

Would never eat liver, kidney or other such organs and still won’t.

Given they don’t taste the same, that seems a bit silly.

We’re trying to give the little miss as varied a diet as possible – seems to be working as there’s not much she won’t eat.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Never had much money as a kid but always had brilliant, traditional food – Mum could make an old army boot taste like heaven. Went to Uni and encountered pasta, curry and vegetarianism – been a fussy eater ever since. 😀

beej

As I kid I was the anti-vegetarian. If it came from something living I’d eat it, if it was plant based I’d generally avoid. Exceptions were made for potatoes, tomatoes, onions (if they were cut up small and in something else), baked beans, carrots and fruit. The carrots had to be cut up small too and cooked so I couldn’t taste them.

I didn’t eat peppers until I was 19, peas at 22, my first pear at 31, broccoli at 35. I now eat most things apart from cauliflower and sprouts.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Mushrooms, Currants/Raisins (in moderation now), Spinach (can only handle it raw as salad though i.e. baby leaf). Beer/Ale!

Still can’t abide leeks or seafood with the exception of fish fingers and battered haddock. 😆

My parents were the classic, can’t get down from table/have pudding until you’ve cleared you plate though .. and they never gave in.

Until I was 12/13 then they gave up and decided quality fish was a waste on me.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Brinjaals
    Ladies fingers
    Onions
    Bitter gourds (unless they were fried)
    Cabbage
    Prawns
    Crab – unless you broke the shell for me
    Fish with bones in it

Things I loved as a kid I don’t really like much anymore
    – Deep fried gizzard
    – Fried chicken liver
    – Curried goat’s intestine

ransos
    Free Member

Still can’t abide leeks or seafood with the exception of fish fingers and battered haddock.

I’ve never understood people saying “I don’t like seafood”. It’s not as if there’s a consistent flavour that links all the foods you can get from the sea…

tomhoward

Was never a fussy eater as a kid, am not a fussy eater as a grown up.

But I won’t eat pickled eggs, marmite or houmous.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Two reasons on the seafood really;

The look of it – especially un prepped – if I’m honest.
    The general aroma of preperation.

I’ve been known to tackle some sushi salmon/tuna/fresh water trout out of politeness and it’s not too bad as it’s hyper fresh. But I find I gag on most other stuff, salty /oily stuff, shell fish, crab, lobster. I’ve tried it all as a supervised youth (see above about parents) and again out of politeness as an adult

fasthaggis

Went to Uni and encountered pasta, curry and vegetarianism – been a fussy eater ever since

Friend’s son came back from his first year at Uni .
    He had some brilliant stories about his flat mates and their complete lack of cooking skills .

One of them tried to cook pasta without water,just threw it into a pan ,turned on the gas, then asked after a few minutes why it wasn’t looking right 😯

camo16
    Free Member

As per ^^^^ cabbage and assorted veg greenery.

I wasn’t a particularly fussy eater, but some of my early life food traumas have left a mark – I still can’t think of corned beef (in pasty form) or plain spare ribs without wincing.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I didn’t eat vegetables (apart from potato) until I was about 11 – _ started on tinned carrots, worked onto tinned sweetcorn when I was 14, and didn’t any other vegetables until I moved out of home. Ate broccoli at the age of 29, sweetheart cabbage at 30 and cauliflower at 32. Turns out they’re not disgusting! Who knew?

Still won’t eat fruit,not even on cheesecake (unless we’re counting tomatoes).

I’m slowly coming around to eating fish, particularly mackerel and salmon.

I used to love Ribena and coffee when I was a toddler, hated both after about the age of 6 though.

DezB
    Free Member

Chilli con carne, curry and bizarrely, sausages.
    Love all those now.

Mushrooms will never be eaten though.

ransos
    Free Member

The look of it – especially un prepped – if I’m honest.
    The general aroma of preperation.

But un-prepped meat doesn’t bother you? Smell shouldn’t be an issue if it’s fresh…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Do now, didnt then:
    Mushrooms
    Tomatoes
    Broccolli

Still don’t:
    Cauliflower
    Sprouts
    Liver/Kidneys etc
    Tinned Tuna or Salmon

Am fussy about potatoes though.

joemc
    Free Member

Always hated school food and other peoples mums cooking. In particular what I now refer to as ‘vegetables a la anglaise’ or ‘if you can still count them, they’re not done’.
    Still won’t eat them.

cookeaa

We apply a bit of general motivation, our eldest gets Stars on her star chart for “Trying different / new food” and for “Eating up her meals”, sounds lame I’m sure but Stickers are still among the most wonderful thing in the world so far as she’s concerned…

We tend not to push them to finish the whole plate off, especially if eating out as the portion in front of them may well be a bit big…
    I’d much rather then got used to just stopping when full than become pre-teen gut buckets…

What we have found is that they are both keener on veg than on meat generally, so we go with that there’s normally plenty of different types of Veg on the plates for them to sample…

Fruit too, they love it currently so we keep the fruit bowl stocked and seldom refuse a request for an Apple, Orange, Banana or Grapes it beats being pestered for chocolate or sweets…

What we do insist on at meal times is that they at least try everything and decide honestly if they like it or not, if they decide they don’t like something we simply say “OK, just eat the other stuff” this generally works, sometimes the same food will be put in front of her a couple of weeks later and this time she decides she likes it all of a sudden, no point trying to force the issue or bully them into eating stuff, as soon as meals become a battle ground you’ve lost…

Chipping in with some positive comments like “You’ve done well” and “I’m glad you ate the pepper and sweetcorn, its very good for you”. seem to help.

It is all about tactics, remembering what they’ve said they like before, and applying a bit of pop-psychology to a four year old…
    Accept that you will waste food, especially if your MIL is secretly plying them with sweets when you’re out (Grrrr!)…

Whatever you do Never mention Ice cream or offer tasty, pudding type incentives for finishing a meal or for eating something they don’t like, it doesn’t work, and once they know something full of sugar and fat is waiting in the fridge that’s it they are done with the main course and you simply end up inducing a paddy (My missus has yet to learn this rule properly)…

Those are my tips, I’m sure people will tell me they’re all wrong but they’ve worked thus far…

Edit:

My own Dietary evolution:

As a Child most things apart from Marmite
    As an Adult most things apart from Marmite

ransos
    Free Member

Fruit too, they love it currently so we keep the fruit bowl stocked and seldom refuse a request for an Apple, Orange, Banana or Grapes it beats being pestered for chocolate or sweets…

That reminds me. A friend’s daughter kept asking her mum how many points she got for eating pieces of fruit when they were over at our house. I thought they were rewarding her but it turned out she wanted to get as high a total as possible, so was ramming her face with apples, grapes etc. Still, who got fat eating too many apples?

Tom-B
    Free Member

I misread the title…..off to pron jub with me it is then…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Fussy Eaters’ is closed to new replies.