• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Funeral leave
  • thered

Are marital GrandFather and StepMother considered close enough to be given funeral leave?

bruneep

I would grant that. Depending on how close you were and where it is.

Had someone try and pull a bereavement leave fast one for a distant family member abroad. wanted almost 10 days off. Told to take AL. I’ll give you 1 day for funeral. They never went

tinybits
    Free Member

In my business it would depend on how close you were to them (and your spouse). I suggest you look at your company handbook as it’ll (should) have something in there.

Sorry for the loss – that sounds like a horrible time.

miketually
    Free Member

It was here.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I would grant that too, actually i would grant pretty much anyone leave to attend a funeral regardless of their relationship to the deceased. Some things are just more important than work.

thered

I’ve only been here 6 weeks, haven’t had a co. handbook yet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve only been here 6 weeks, haven’t had a co. handbook yet.

Well either it doesn’t exist or get a copy from a colleague. Best people to ask really.

SaxonRider

Weird that this has to be asked. When I was managing a lot of people, I didn’t have a clue what the ‘policy’ was. I just said ‘yes’.

It’s only been with the introduction of the recent HR manager that anyone has started to care who went to what funeral.

A few years ago, Mrs SR and I suffered a still-birth, and when my boss found out, he came to find me, and sent me home telling me he didn’t want to see me for two weeks.

What’s wrong with being human about such things?

To the OP: I would certainly consider that close enough for funeral leave.

Best wishes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s wrong with being human about such things?

It goes both ways…

tinybits
    Free Member

Sadly there are a lot of people who try to extract the wee wee. I’ve had one who needed time to go to a relations funeral, I granted it and off he went (2 weeks as it was in Jamaca). I ran into him 5 days later sorting out his horses a couple of miles from work and the response I had was ‘I wasn’t that close and I had no one to look after the ponies’
    I’ve asked the question ever since….

soobalias
    Free Member

paid leave – your mum, your dad or your kids
    unpaid leave – discretionary.

personally I will attend any funeral i want to, so far i have never had paid leave to do so (sort of thankfully!)

ElShalimo

Take the day off and work extra hours to make up the time?

freeagent
    Free Member

As others have said, it is difficult as respect/common sense/good judgement works both ways.

When my brother died a couple of years back my boss told me not to come back to work until I felt ready.
    I returned a week later as I felt the normality of work would help, I then took a couple of days off for the funeral the following week.

My wife’s aunt died a few months back and I did a WFH day and just nipped out for a couple of hours to attend the funeral.

However, for a distant relation i’d probably take a days leave.

pjt201
    Free Member

@saxonrider

WRT to still birth, it very much is (as it should be!) viewed as the same as a live birth. Both parents are entitled to statutory maternity/paternity leave as they otherwise would be. My condolences for your loss.

FuzzyWuzzy

Most HR policies exist just to stop the small percentage of feckless, lazy people abusing things IMO, the trouble is the bigger the company often the more draconian and inflexible the policies are. I think step-mother and marital grand-father are both covered by funeral leave (paid) where I work, if not then you’d still be allowed unpaid leave at your manager’s discretion.

jamj1974

I would grant without question. Take care.

MoreCashThanDash

Qualifies under our civil service rule book

thegreatape
    Free Member

Mine just gave me 3 days (lot of driving involved) for a grandparent. No hesitation.

simon_g

Ours:

‘Immediate family’ is defined as your spouse, civil partner or partner; child or step-child; parent; brother or
    sister; grandparent or grandchild, uncle or aunt; parent-in-law, brother or sister-in-law, son or daughter-inlaw.

But individual line managers have discretion beyond that.

br
    Free Member

I’ve only been here 6 weeks, haven’t had a co. handbook yet

If I was you I’d book a days holiday and when your Manager/Supervisor asks why, tell them.

They’ll then either let you take it as a non-holiday or not.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Funeral leave’ is closed to new replies.