Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • fuming after under 9s football match kind of dilema!
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ok, here’s a good one to test the stw collective wisdom….

my 8yr old has started playing in a little u9 6 a side league with his mates, all very light hearted and led by a good guy who does his best for the little guys and really encourages them without pushing them too hard and taking the fun out.

so this morning they played a team in the league. the other team has two uber-seriuos coaches screaming at them the whole time totally drowning out any instructions our coach gave, the ref was a dad in the other team and it was so biased it was ridiculous (1st half was a good 5mins longer when they had the wind to their advantage, fouls ignored, game would be stopped for an undone boot when our chaps were attacking goal – not too mention a hugely dubious ‘on the line’ goal that was given), also elbows and studs were frequently used against our team and the oddest thing when i finally got fed up i called one of our guys to mark their attacker and within 30secs another of their coaches/dads came up and stood right beside me barking out instructions – making it 3 people telling them exactly what to do and where to stand.

i’ve never really done team sports so i don’t know if this is the norm, but it all seems a bit over the top. i’m quite happy to go bark instructions as well but then i’m taking my boy down a road i don’t like myself. i even considered having a whinge to the local FA rep but then i don’t want to do something that our coach was not happy with.

right now i’m planning on taking air horns to the rematch and standing right next to the blokes and everytime they open their mouth… BAAAARRRRRRPPPPPP!!!!!

Cougar

Buy him a guitar instead.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

er speak to your coach?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Find another “sport”.

iDave
    Free Member

IME the touchlines at kids team sports are populated by the shallow end of the gene pool. I have to stand well away. Even the coaches tempt me to invoke Godwins law.

coffeeking
    Free Member

druidh +1 from me too – team sports are horrible, especially those where parents get involved.

Pook

Hasn’t the FA cracked down on nobhead coaches bellowing from the touchline like that? I’d have a word with the FA rep.

oldgit
    Free Member

Have seen that a lot, but it’s not the norm.
    The coaches are trained to develop the kids for the future of the game, but in practice all they seem to care about is winning at any cost.
    Your sons coach will have to file a post match report, and the behavior of the coaches, players and mums and dads are all taken into account i.e a gobby day can cost your club a serious fine.
    And pay for a ref.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

IME the touchlines at kids team sports are populated by the shallow end of the gene pool

you said it true there!

Buy him a guitar instead.

he’s got two.

Find another “sport”.

he surfs (surf club is lovely), skates and BMX as well. its just that his mates don’t and he does’nt want to be left out… and in truth as bad as they all are they run around smiling.

i did make a few remarrks to the coach and he agreed, but he’s a nice chap and don’t really think he wants to cause hassle.

loddrik
    Free Member

So glad i have girls, my idea of utter hell is having to stand Watching kids football every week.

Pook

my idea of utter hell is having to stand Watching kids football every week.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I think team sports can only be good for kids as long as they enjoy it and that takes precedence- saying that my lad says he enjoys it alot more when his team wins!

I think you just have to take a deep breath and walk away when you hear the uber competitive coaches giving it large- from my experience they all usually end up getting chinned by a disgrutled dad at some stage!!

oldgit
    Free Member

I coached kids for seven years. Training once a week and matches at the weekend. I would have to register the kids, ring the parents to see if we had a team that weekend, sort pitches, book groundsmen, employ a ref. Then set up the goals and take them down each week without any help from the parents.
    I wouldn’t take any parent shouting from the sideline. I’d ask if they would like to give up their time, go and get an FA qualification. Or perhaps help taking down the nets and bagging them up in the pouring rain. Maybe even ref the next week or run the line. Of course none ever did.

Best free childcare you can get at a weekend.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my idea of utter hell is having to stand Watching kids football

actually it can be good, i’ve seen some good fast paced end to end games. which is a lot of why i’m so disapointed by today because its kids football not the frikken premier league on the last day of the season.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Best free childcare you can get at a weekend.

so true. same at cubs, surf club and yes football… i’m always the first parent to muck in because it annoys me that the majority do not.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

They were obviously man united fans.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Best free childcare you can get at a weekend

haha 🙂 my dad used to drop me off at rugby on a Sunday and would always be upwards of an hour late picking me up. I loved it and used the time to really become a great rugby player until a fairly distressing run of injuries.
    bellowing dads were the norm and were dads business, on the pitch they were always out of mind.

muddodger
    Free Member

Been there, done that. unfortunately the older they get the worse it gets, one match was so bad that as soon as someone shouted offside, ‘their’ ref stopped play!
    I eventually stopped going as I ended up having to break up to many potential fights, usually caused by our team manager.
    Looking back I should have stood with the other team supporters.

Anyway, as someone has already said, pick another sport for your young ‘uns or learn to switch off.

jon1973
    Free Member

Find another “sport”.

Its a shame when you let couple of dick heads stop your children playing a sport they enjoy.

druidh +1 from me too – team sports are horrible, especially those where parents get involved.

Team sports are good for kids and there are plenty of parents out there who give up a lot of their time and put in a lot of effort in running these teams.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sign me up as the new team manager…. 😉

heuer27
    Free Member

I’m the junior coach at our local rugby club and at the start of every season we hand out code of conduct for both players and parents to read and sign. This covers things you are highlighting and explains what we expect from everyone attatched to our club. It seems to work for us.

muddodger
    Free Member

Code of conduct wouldn’t have worked for us as the manager was the worst offender!
    It is indeed a shame when a minority spoil it, but that’s life, and as it’s only his first game worst is to come!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Just get lots of your dads to ‘mark up’ their dads, each time one of them starts shouting, go over to them and chat about knitting or otters. Be persisitent!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

as it’s only his first game

its his third. first was a laugh, second ‘crikey they’re a bit serious’ but today ‘what the heck!’.

hopefully he’ll grow out of it, nut til’ then i’ll ready the air horn!

Candodavid
    Free Member

FA contacts

Complain to your local FA, you’ll be amazed at the consideration they have for grass roots football

muddodger
    Free Member

*Apologies
    Air horn is a good idea though!

brakes
    Free Member

team sports are good for kids, I played football every Sunday with training midweek for years.
    it teaches you a sense of collective responsibility, loyalty, competitiveness – all things which can help you later in life.
    ignore the footy haters, they just hate the popular game, premiership players and hooligan fans – they’ve probably never played grass-roots football.

oh, and every league has a team like you describe, just let them get on with it – at your boys age does it matter that much, maybe when he’s in his teens and still playing it could be a problem.
    my Dad was known for shouting “take his legs off”, and “if in doubt, take him out”, “if you can’t take the ball, take the man” – and he was the coach!

aracer
    Free Member

ignore the footy haters, they just hate the popular game, premiership players and hooligan fans

I’m quite happy to ignore all of that if my kids want to play footy – but tales like the one from the OP really put me off.

DezB
    Free Member

code of conduct for both players and parents to read and sign

I thought all clubs had to do this.
    Mate I’m playing 5-a-side with tomorrow is a qualified coach for kids, I’ll show him this thread, see what his view is.

iDave
    Free Member

I haven’t seen anything on the thread about hating footy – just hating knobby coaches and parents.

brakes
    Free Member

I can sense it, it’s there… lurking.

TiRed

At a game played by my Godson’s team, one of the opposition parents stormed out of his Bentley from the sidelines and punched the referee! My boys play cricket and rugby instead, much better from a parental support perspective.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Its just another reason why i hate football.

Tell him to take up rugby. Its played with so much more class and respect.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah. Three seasons of dealing with mouth breathers like that. They turn on you with the slightest provacation too. I had two gang up on me asking me what my problem was when I suggested they tone their language down a bit. This after they spent ten minutes effing at every single event on the pitch during an eleven year olds game.

My lads team wasn’t a particularly good one and we would take it in turns to coach them during the game when the normal coach couldn’t make it. Again, I had parents from the other teams coming over and asking me what my problem was when I got our team to play defensive. ?????

I think the nastiest thing I experienced though was when I broke my knee and went on crutches. There were disabled parking spaces right in front of the club house but the coaches (as in the men who coached) always used to park in them so I asked the club chairman if he’d mind reserving one for me each Sunday while I was hobbling rather than having to stumble my way the half mile from the next nearest parking space.

“The coaches park there” was his final response.

Depressing, pathetic and very sad.

I was so glad when my son lost interest in football.

voodoo_chile

dads shouting on the side line are the ones who have never kicked a ball in their lives …fact !!
    also the influx of women at kids football is killing it as they cause a lot of the problems with the bad organisation and general shouting of football cliches

i might come back in 30 years time and the english game may be near our european counter parts ..wake me up when it arrives

millcar
    Free Member

Not sure if a similar post is here but

A very similar incident occurred at my brothers kids rugby. First half all a bit serious. Referee not dealing with fouls etc. The coach of affected team stopped the game, had a word, the game continued. Nothing changed.

He then stopped the game, took his players off as they werent being allowed to enjoy the game. Withdrew them reported the Referee and the team and turned the respect if the parents watching.

I’d like to think i’d have done the same…

project
    Free Member

Its only a gang of lads kicking a ball round a field, now when you start wearing a shirt with some over paid footballers name on the back, then thats the time to strart taking medication.

RoterStern
    Free Member

My ten year old son has just started playing football for quite a well established local club in Germany. It seems normal for the coaches to scream instructions from the sidelines over here but I think if they didn’t you would just have 16 children all crowding round the ball.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘fuming after under 9s football match kind of dilema!’ is closed to new replies.