Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fully comp insurance
  • bland

Does it mean you can drive another car (the wifes) on your insurance?

Just trying to suss out if thats the case so i can see if its cheaper to have each other on as named drivers or not as she has had 2 accidents so it seems to be pushing up quotes.

If she can drive mine on her policy then ill not have her as a named driver you see???

highclimber
    Free Member

depends if your insurance allows it. mine’s fully comp and I can drive any other (insured) car on it but my partner who also has FC cannot.

it is also certainly cheaper to have a named driver on your policy, especially a female IME

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hers should include 3rd party only on cars not owned by her. However – many “fully comp” policies dont include this nowadays and it’s not clear on price comparison websites if it’s included.

So basically you’ll need to check her certificate. Also she would be 3rd party only.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That 3rd party cover is usually with for vehicles not owned by the policyholder, and often for occasional use only. Notwithstanding the argument that you own yours, she owns hers, and so on, it’s not really what it’s meant for, so there is potential, if a claim is made, to end up in a dispute with the insurance company.

That’s not definite by any means, just a thought, and maybe something to bear in mind?.

highclimber
    Free Member

you could try admiral multi car policy too.

joao3v16
    Free Member

depends if your insurance allows it. mine’s fully comp and I can drive any other (insured) car on it but my partner who also has FC cannot.

This.

And your wife has given you permission. Technically you can’t just drve off in her car, although your wife would have to have a bit of a mean streak to report you if you did.

Your policy should mention something about driving other vehicles. Not all policies are the same. It’s a common misconception that Fully Comp allows you to drive other vehicles by default.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

And of course, if the worst did come to the worst, you’d be coughing up for all damage too!

mattbee

Mine has it as standard but my boss had to pay extra. as others have said, it is only 3rd party cover anyway.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fully comp insurance’ is closed to new replies.