Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fullface helmet strapped to hand luggage? – Still ok?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Flying out to Morzine for the first time in about 9 years and vaguely remember being allowed to take a full face helmet strapped to my hang luggage on the flight… anyone got any recent experience with this or will I be forced to put it in hold luggage?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Depends on the airline, but flew with Easyjet last week, hand luggage only, didn’t speak to a single easy jet person till the scrum at the gate, doubt they would have stopped anyone with anything. Worst case If they try to turn you away at the gate, wear the thing onboard, tell ’em it a hat.

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t strap mine to my hand luggage, I just carry it on, as you would, say, a hat, or a handbag, or a small dog, or maybe an infant.

JAG

I’ve carried a roadie lid strapped to my rucksac when travelling to Mallorca. I’ve done it twice now with different airlines and they’ve not stopped me or made a fuss ever 🙂

Northwind

I figured the worst case scenario was I’d put it on, and wear it all the way to Geneva, and that’d be pretty funny. I was kind of disappointed not to be hassled tbh 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Easyjet are quite deliberate in not saying anything till the gate then “fining” you there, personal experience with a very slightly oversized bag. As above it’s a hat and you can wear it if needed 8)

kiksy
    Free Member

I’ve worn a snowboard helmet before on a flight.

j4mie
    Free Member

I class it as a safety issue, as you don’t know what could happen to it if it was checked in.

I’ve not taken a bike helmet on a plane but taken my peltor crash helmet on way to rallies, of course this is in a padded bag with a HANS device etc. And then stuffed full with GoPro, and whatever other little stuff I can fit in. Nobody’s ever said anything to me about it.

gordonb
    Free Member

Few years ago, I emailed easy jet about this and they said I couldn’t wear it on the plane because it wasn’t “fashion apparel”

Northwind

gordonb – Member

Few years ago, I emailed easy jet about this and they said I couldn’t wear it on the plane because it wasn’t “fashion apparel”

Quite right, a few years ago fullfaces were all dh and therefore unfashionable. But now they’re #enduro and in fashion again

Literally none of my clothes are fashion apparel, I hope they’re ready for me flying out nude next time.

vincienup
    Free Member

sometimes STW reallllllly needs a ‘like’ button… 😀

nach
    Free Member

I’ve seen staff at a gate hassling someone for having a helmet strapped to their bag, even though it didn’t push it over the size limit, apparently it had to fit inside it. Might depend on the airport or how jobsworth they’re feeling.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Might depend on the airport or how jobsworth they’re feeling

This +100

wordnumb
    Free Member

1. Place phone / wallet / lipstick / small dog (etc) into helmet.
    2. Carry helmet by straps.

Helmet is now a hand luggage. All over the catwalks next season.

Cougar

Tell them you require it for religious reasons.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fullface helmet strapped to hand luggage? – Still ok?’ is closed to new replies.