Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Full Suss why do we bother?
  • oldfart

Is there one full Suss out there that is bombproof for our riding conditions or do we just have to treat them like pampered snowflakes and wrap them up in a warm cocoon until April like a lot of roadies do?Any other consumer products would be not fit for purpose yet we put up with it?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My Turner Sultan is fine.

nickc

My edit is fine

weeksy

Whyte have lifetime warranty on bearings

devash
    Free Member

I’ve ridden my Camber through 4 British winters and am still on the first set of bearings.

Kryton57

I rode my Anthem in the mud, wind and rain last week. Seems to be ok for the experience, same as it has been for the last 4 years…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

you’re doing it wrong

Goldigger
    Free Member

My 5 is fine…

oldfart

Doing it wrong as in???
    As for Whyte lifetime the devils in the detail!

qwerty
    Free Member

My hardtail is fine.

zippykona

My 5 is also fine.
    I love mud.

oldfart

Orange 5 for the win then?

zippykona

Yep and old ones are cheap now.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Or a 4 or alpine

kilo

My trance did a good few years of mud without any issues.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

My spectral has been fine through 3 winters although it has had a bearing change and a bit of TLC

stumpy01

oldfart – Member

…..or do we just have to treat them like pampered snowflakes and wrap them up in a warm cocoon until April

I don’t know anyone who does this. Just ride the bloomin’ things. Quick rinse down (or not) after a ride & ready for next time.

tomhoward

My 2 (3 winter old) VPP Santa Cruz’s and their lifetime bearing warranty, that I haven’t had to use yet, have been fine.

My 18 month old Specialized FSR Ebike, still fine

My DW link Pivot is just coming into its first winter, but has been ridden in all sorts of filth so far, also fine.

So, lots of bearings, no problems….

What issues are you having?

yoshimi

My Five doesn’t struggle

zippykona

Must admit my Anthem is put away in the loft until next summer.
    Needlessly it seems.

oldfart

That’s it I’m going riding (it was a bit tongue in cheek mind

julians
    Free Member

Just fit new bearings at the start of spring.

What do bearings costs ,i think its 50 quid for my bike, and thats oneof the more expensive ones.

Hardly a big deal is it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My KTM Scarp is fine, 2000km of all weather riding on one set of OE main pivot bearings isn’t bad if you ask me. They’re a whole £20 for Max Enduro ones and about an hour to change.

Hardly a trial once every year or so.

alanf
    Free Member

My 2010 Anthem is fine, as is my 2005 Hustler (still on original bearings) but I do ride the anthem much more. My hardtail is also fine but the Anthem is the go to bike at any time of year.

thepurist

Must admit my Anthem is put away in the loft until next summer.
    Needlessly it seems.

My (2007) Anthem only comes out in the winter!

oldfart

tomhoward
    Issue is ongoing Creak/graunch that so far 3 different bike shops haven’t been able to nail down , all have different opinions none of which ever solve it permanently? After 2 years of trying gets a bit wearing .

oikeith

This will be my first winter with my new full sus, I plan to not wash the frame and other parts too much and just keep the fork, shock and dropper stanchions clean after each ride and then clean the drivetrain lightly after each ride with a proper degrease every other or 3 rides. See how it holds up. Will prob give it a full wash every month, I dont want to be blasting extra water or muc off into the bearings

Squirrel

5 is the only answer. Mine’s going good after 10 years with one easy bearing change 😀

daver27
    Free Member

I hear you oldfart, you are not alone. doesn’t matter the make, i go through frame bearings like cups of tea.

molgrips
    Free Member

No issues here. Just ride. Previous Oranges would give me years from a pair of bearings. This will be my first winter with a multi-pivot bike, so we’ll see.

And why do we bother? Because parts of the country are pretty rocky.

I’ll still be washing my FS though. I think that grunge can build up around bearings which ends up forcing its way into the seals. Cleaning with a hose currently cos my jetwasher has packed up.

ThePinkster

@ Oldfart & daver27 – what FSers are you riding?

oldfart

daver27 a lone voice in the wilderness! Process nerve love the bike but…. Think bearings are a red herring tbh my mates Process just had its first bearing change same year as mine I reckon they work for ages with worn bearings just seems the favourite place to start looking with mystery noises!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yep, Five’s and Heckler’s … Had a 2004 Heckler that became my winter full sus, bearings lasted forever (now sold) my 2011 Heckler will be the new winter bike, bearings are good on that but I got a replacement set just in case from SCUK – filled in an opline form and they were here in a few days. Single pivots are great UK bikes, sadly Heckler no longer sold 😥

daver27
    Free Member

Where do i start…

Norco Sight 1 26 2013
    Norco Sight Carbon 2014
    Saracen Ariel x 650 2015
    Mondraker Dune XR 650 2016
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC 2017

To be fair, the santa cruz has only had 2 bearings fail in 200 miles and sure enough lifetime warranty had a new set wing its way to me free of charge in 48 hours. the rest of them are still smooth, but still, the rest have all failed within 6 months, some within a few weeks of purchase (mondraker) resulting in cracked frames and mucho warranty. I am not alone either..

iainc

A wash down with one of those hozelok ‘wheel brush’ hose attachments keeps mine clean enough after most rides.

zippykona

Single ring really makes life so much easier now.
    With the 5 there’s just nowhere for the mud to collect now.
    I love mud.

darrenspink
    Free Member

First thing you should do is upgrade to enduro bearings, they do last longer in our crappy weather.

Don’t jet wash, just use a hose and bucket (sponge and brush).

daver27
    Free Member

mine are never jetwashed and only hand washed with water, no detergents or cleaning products.

hardtail is all set for winter now anyway

zippykona

Then of course there’s a rigid fat bike. All the comfort and zero maintenance.

andybrad

love the “3 winters and my bearings are fine” comments.

Bet they are not.

My five would feel rough after 1 winter (cheap though). Although i guess it depends on your grease and what your riding in.
    16 months on the liteville but wow they are expensive in comparison.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Full Suss why do we bother?’ is closed to new replies.