Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Full suss – has it had its day?
  • shortcut

A few years ago I was running full suds all the way, Oramge Sub 5, Turner 5 Spot, Superlight.

All good fun and whatever but bushing shock servicing etc did make it all a bit like hard work. Since getting the big wheel bug I no longer see the point for xc or even most trail centres, or natural stuff.

So why bother with full suss, its heavy, expensive and pointless unless you are doing DH!

Bregante

You’re right. Now that you ride a hardtail, the Full Sus market is sure to collapse. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes but how big do the wheels need to be for a troll on a hardtail

and to actually answer the question

So why bother with full suss, its heavy, expensive and pointless unless you are doing DH!

It’s fun, and it’s fun, do I need your permission?

mikey3
    Free Member

op why dont you just ride your bike,its a nice day.I,m off out bye.

andyruss
    Free Member

Yeah 29 ers are tearing up the world xc races. Don ‘t worry you can jum on the 650b bandwagon next

cynic-al
    Free Member

Disc brakes and tubeless are on their way out too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont think full sus has had its day. I think you’ve had your day.

Time for you to hang up your mountain biking boots and get yourself a recumbent I think!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Al, a top guide told me there was no future in tubeless…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Next big thing…..

Or maybe it was just having fun

FWIW my HT is as heavy as my full sus

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mike, love those niche bar ends there! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mike, love those niche bar ends there! 😉

johnnystorm

As much as I’m loving my 29er riding around the (Artist formerly known as the) black route at Thetford yesterday in the scorching heat, what was mud has been baked rock hard into constant stutter bumps. I’m sure I would be either quicker/less beaten up on my Camber after riding that.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

…a top guide told me there was no future in tubeless…

A Girl Guide? That’s the only way that sentence makes sense.

njee20
    Free Member

Al, a top guide told me there was no future in tubeless…

And they were qualified to be a knowledgable source on this how exactly?! 🙄

unklehomered
    Free Member

Full suss sales are well down this year (based on my purely anecdotal evidence gathering of chatting to people about bikes).

I don’t ride mine as much since i got my 456 as an everyday chuck about bike.

ampthill

People crave change. So they change bikes and types of bikes

I’m in a loving FS phase but I was late to the party.

Hardtails may well be seen to coincide with recessions, in the long rung. That would certainly make sense

_tom_
    Free Member

Last few times I’ve been at Woburn there’s been loads of us on hardtails, usually its full of people on expensive shiny fs bikes. Don’t really get that unless that’s their only bike which is fair enough, personally I find all the trails there easier and faster on a ht! Still got my fs though but when I have it back up and running again it’ll probably only get used for uplift days and holidays.

takisawa2

Love my clown wheeler, but if I had the money I’d have an Orange 5 as well.
    A few years ago I was in the fortunate position to have both a ss hardtail & a nice Ventana FS & the fact they were so different made me appreciate each all the more. I run a nice clown wheel these days & it has blurred the boundary a bit, but sometimes I really wish I was on a FS.

cynic-al
    Free Member

an in-joke njee, he was an idiot.

mrmo
    Free Member

Full suss sales are well down this year (based on my purely anecdotal evidence gathering of chatting to people about bikes).

Thing is i suspect so are MTB sales in general, road is the growth market.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wish prices were matching sales fall!?! Plus restricted supply keeping prices high. 😉 I would be happy to buy a new bike but think recent price hikes are taking the proverbial. Rode an amazing epic carbon 29 er on demo day. But £4k is crazy IMO. Hence make do with the old bike!

ask1974
    Free Member

What a weird question…

grum
    Free Member

There seems to have been a rash of particularly tired trolling topics recently. You’d think with this weather people would have better things to do (I’m off to Grizedale shortly btw 🙂 ).

mrmo
    Free Member

But £4k is crazy IMO

Why?

mid 90’s a standard judy was £400 i seem to remember, bare in mind the cartridges failed once a week and the springs were lumps of foam, if you made the forks work, risse cartridges, Englund air kits, etc you were talking at least another £100.

Current forks are similar and that is before you consider inflation.

As for bike prices same applies.

ram13man
    Free Member

full suds all the way, Oramge Sub 5,

Spell check has definitely had its day too ….

cynic-al
    Free Member

So is forum preview…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mrmo

Thanks merely proving my point. Assume 1995 = £400 and 2012 = £4000, then that makes a 14.5% COMPOUND rise in prices. By most standards (and in a rel low inflation environment) that is some price rise.

And in the last few years and a global recession, the same story. On an asset that (if Lynskey are to be believed) will depreciate over 5 years to zero value 😉

Makes us all mugs!! Still only the latest in a number of “hot” sports.

njee20
    Free Member

He was talking about forks specifically, not complete bikes.

A 2000 S-Works FSR was £2400, by 2004 they were £4000, now £7200. Dunno what that says, not really comparing apples with apples.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok happy to stand corrected but that is still 9.6% CAGR and well above inflation on a rapidly depreciating asset (ignoring maintenance).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone expecting value or buying as an investment…high end bike kit? Do you have a brain?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, ridden one simple bike for many years! Just gobsmacked at recent price inflation. Triathlon is worse though. Fortunately tennis racket inflation has peaked which is a relief in a house full of tennis players! Maybe MTB has another couple of years before sanity prevails?

ampthill

In 1995 I paid £700 for a Kona Kilaue. That was a rigid Crmo rigid bike with 27 ratios via thumb shifters.

todat £700 pounds would buy you a bike better in every way except possibly total weight. But £700 in real terms. Maintenance would be more though now

My FS cost £800 used ridden once. I prefer it to my hardtail at Woburn. But my hardtail is a bit rubbish and ancient (so am I)

I think moaning that MTB is expensive becuse you demoed a £4000 bike is crazy. Unless of course you can make a genuine case that you loosing races due to your bike not fitness>

Just because you can buy a £5000 Leica doesn’t make a £100 compact expensive or work less well

njee20
    Free Member

Ok happy to stand corrected but that is still 9.6% CAGR and well above inflation on a rapidly depreciating asset (ignoring maintenance).

Like I said though, and as others have said, that’s not a fair comparison. The 2000 S-Works had an alu frame, Manitou SX forks with elastomers, an XT/XTR mix, Mavic 517 rims, v brakes and some basic in house alu finishing kit. You now get a full carbon frame, fork CSU, rims, seatpost, bars, transmission parts, cranks etc, properly working suspension with inertia valves and that, and it still weighs a lot less than 10 years ago.

How much would you pay for an aluminium v braked FS with elastomer forks? £2000? I think not.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think moaning that MTB is expensive becuse you demoed a £4000 bike is crazy.

Fine, its just a point of view. I do lots of sports and IMHO price inflation in mtb has been a lot more than other sports. Happy for others to spend £4k, its a personal choice. On the second point, spending an extra £000 to save a few grams when the cyclists is carrying more than a few is always amusing!

njee – nothing stays the same. Tennis rackets, computers etc have all advanced massively with technology without the same price inflation. Excuse my product ignorance, I was merely giving you the examples that you quoted 😉

But each to their own – spend your money where you see fit.

seavers
    Free Member

Just because you can buy a £5000 Leica doesn’t make a £100 compact expensive or work less well

Find me a £100 compact that works as well as and produces the same results as a Leica….I will buy a 1000 of them right now!

Edit…OK may be just a few…I’m skint.

Double edit…. I’m a photographer and know my stuff so Vivitar ain’t going to cut it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I do lots of sports and IMHO price inflation in mtb has been a lot more than other sports

nah, you can buy a completely brilliant hardtail for £600.

or, if you definitely need a full-suspension bike (you probably don’t), you can get a very good one for much less than £1500, even if you want a 29er…

njee20
    Free Member

I think my point is that raw material costs are far higher in MTBing now than then. Yes there have been technological advances, as with everything, but tennis racquets and computers particularly haven’t seem the same drastic changes in materials.

ampthill

“Find me a £100 compact that works as well as and produces the same results as a Leica….I will buy a 1000 of them right now!

Edit…OK may be just a few…I’m skint.

Double edit…. I’m a photographer and know my stuff so Vivitar ain’t going to cut it.”

You missed my point. Good cameras cost more. But the fact that some cameras cost £5000 doesn’t mean that other cameras aren’t good value

I was thinking of IXUS 115. A great camera fior a light and cheap point and shoot. Not as good as my cheap and cheerful DSLR but still amazing for the money

cheap

[

really cheap

alcolepone
    Free Member

cool story bro

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I understand now, most of you lot are in the south, of course you don’t get Mountain Biking

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Full suss – has it had its day?’ is closed to new replies.