Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Full Suss 29ers – What's out there?
  • MrTall
    Free Member

After moving to a 29er hardtail and loving it, i am now giving serious though to swapping my Trance for a full suss 29er also.

I've been looking around at several options but as always the chance of testing a bike before buying it in the size i need is almost impossible.

Being stupidly tall i need a frame of at least 22" (my Hardtail is 23") so that knocks out the big Gary Fisher range for a start. I like the look of the Ventana El Capitan which seems to come in up to a 25" frame which i find astonishing as that's probably too big for me and i've never met a taller rider than myself? I know Ton off STW has one so if you read this Ton, can you let me know your thoughts on the bike and what size you went for? Cheers.

Don't really want to spend a huge amount (but may have little choice) and around £1750 would be great for a full bike but i know the Ventana frame alone is £1500 and then new forks and wheels as well (i can swap kit off the trance then sell the fox forks and crossmax SL wheels to recoup some cash). I'd like at least 100mm travel each end but ideally 120mm.

Spesh are apparently bringing out an Epic 29er (my HT is a rockhopper 29er) and talk also of Giant entering the market. I've looked at Lenz and Niner also but ideally i'd like something a bit cheaper. The new Santa Cruz looks good but it'll be mega bucks as will the Turner.

So….. any cheaper options out there that i've missed – do Kona have a full suss or just hardtails? Cheers & sorry for waffling post. 🙂

bigsi
    Free Member

I had a spin on the Niner RIP @ Mayhem and almost got the plastic out there and then, nice bike with no noticable rear flex even with my ample arse on it. It's a bit above your budget though 🙁

I_Ache
    Free Member

Have a look at a stumpy 29r they are about £2k now but the 2010 models will be out soonish so you might get a good price on one.

jalopy
    Free Member

Astrix Monk
    It ploughs over most things happily, climbs better than you'd expect. XL fits me well at 6'5", and probably suit taller. Next years frame sounds as though it'll be even better.

ton

MrTall, the ventana is a cracking bike.
    it is a lot more robust than many of the other full sus 29rs.
    i run mine with 120mm reba bolt thru's and to be honest the bike is capable of a lot more than i can give it.
    with a propedal shock there is zero bob on climbs and with the shock open it takes drops and rockeries without any bother.

mine is a 21'' and i am 6ft 4'' so unless you are nearing 7ft a 23 would be ideal.
    i think you can get the rear end beefed up to what you want but i am 20 stone and there is zero flex in the rear.

MrTall
    Free Member

Astrix is interesting, never heard of them before. Are you UK based Jalopy, is there a UK importer and how much are they here? $1100 usually seems to turn into £1100 if bought here.

Stumpjumper is more than i'd like to pay for a Spesh, i was hoping for them to bring out a sub £2k 29er.

It's annoying as the choice is huge at the £2k mark in 26". I reckon in a year or two that i'll have a lot more choice in 29ers but don't want to wait that long. 🙁

TooTall
    Free Member

You've not mentioned the Turner Sultan – which you could get if you decided to sell parts of your body and top up your fund. 29er FS are still a fairly new thing, so not going to be in the core range and thus cheaper. Sometimes you have to pay for what is best for you – I had to accept that a while back.

MrTall
    Free Member

Ton,

Did you use Riverside cycles (UK importer) or did you get it direct from the US? I can't find a US $ price anywhere, all the retailer sites just link me back to the Ventana Homepage? UK price seem to be £1500.

I like the idea of the bolt thru Reba's although i'm 'only' 16 stone. I reckon the 23" would be the one for me if i went for one.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? If i was ever near your area would it be ok to be cheeky and have a look at it in the flesh?

ton

yes, got it from riverside….alan is a sound bloke.
    i am in leeds mate, but i get about a bit to ride.
    you are more than welcome to take it for a test ride..

MrTall
    Free Member

TooTall – i mentioned the Turner along with the Santa Cruz = megabucks.

I recall you were off to the states to test one – did you get it?

I realise that i'm looking at a niche area so will have to pay over the odds (although i am very happy indeed with my £750 Rockhopper) and it's not that i can't afford to pay silly money if necessary, it's just that i'd rather not if possible. I never really seem to be able to tell the difference between a £1k bike and a £3k bike so don't feel justified in spending the cash. If i got to test a £3k bike in my size and i loved it then i'd go for it but you are fully aware of how hard it is to get a tester in silly sizes. 🙁

Ventana is still top of the list for me but i'd be looking at at least £2300 for frame forks and wheels. Although if i could recoup a bit from my trance then that could bring the price down by £3-£400 maybe?

MrTall
    Free Member

Ton, my buddie lives in Leeds and i go up to ride with him a couple of times a year so i'll chat to him and see when he's next free for a weekends riding. Thanks for the offer, it's appreciated. May well take you up on it. Might ring Riverside in a mo as well.

jalopy
    Free Member

MrTall,

No UK importer for Astrix at the moment I think – Bonthrone Bikes did have a frame or two in when they were still going. I shipped mine out (with a 10% discount) through Universal Cycles. Ended up a hair under a grand with duty, IIRC.

I'm in W London, and you're welcome to try it out, though not until I replace the leaky shock (a Manitou Swinger – they now come with the better RS Monarch, I believe). Probably a couple of weeks. Let me know. I'm often over at Swinley if you ride round there.

MrTall
    Free Member

Thanks Jalopy, i'll bear that in mind.

Ton, just spoken with Alan at Riverside and he was very helpful, he's going to see if he can track down one of his customers who has the 25" frame (he's sold 2 to 6'9" & 6'10" chaps) for me to have a sit on. Then if i could try your 21" as well then hopefully the 21" would be a tad small, the 25" a tad big leading me to the 23" as spot on. 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Well, I've had a Niner and albeit an 07 model and the 09/10 is around and much stiffer blah blah, I would not buy one. I thought the HTA is too steep (Also own a SIR9 *for sale* and for me, this is too steep as well).

I can't get plussed about Turners. Ask SSTu what he thought about one.

The Monk is a solidly built bike that you wont go far wrong with. The Ventana is also similar in quality, if you can stand the look of it. Of course I like my Lenz, and for my riding style it suits me well.

As for sizing I would go smaller than your HT RHopper. Having tried a 'big' 29er (ETT 25.25") I have now gone 'smaller' (23"). This is much, much more fun. I can move about all over the bike, pull it this way and that, lift the front etc). I will always go for the smallest frame I can possibly get away with. With you inseam I can see you with a long seatpost, but shorter TT

My 2c

STATO
    Free Member

Bonesetter, how tall are you?

Im 6ft4 and most of my bikes are 24-24.5" toptube with at least 100-120mm stems. I was looking to swap my single-speed for a 29er with a 25"+ toptube and then run a shorter stem (to keep the reach the same but speed up the handling a little to compensate for the bigger wheel) but not sure now after reading your comment. See Ive got a 'play' bike that is 23" top-tube and a short stem and my back kills after a long ride so im wondering how you manage with that short a bike?

Ta, Rich.

ton

i agree with bonesetter about the size thing.
    i think i could have got away with a 19'' on the ventana..

bonesetter
    Free Member

Rich. TBH I asked Devin Lenz to supply an XL (24.625 ETT) with a large seat tube height (19"). What arrived was by my reckoning a medium (23.4) with a large ST!

I didn't spot this sizing error till well after it was built and I was riding it for a while. But I'm so glad it worked out like it did, for the reasons above.

I still have my Niner SIR 9 *cough, for sale* which is 25.25. This is just too big for me now, and the TT is so high there's little seat post showing, and of course a compromising standover 😳

I have had the Niner for over 2 years, and have enjoyed it, but having tried a smaller bike there's no going back. Oh, your lower back pain. I only suffer it when I get very tired on the bike, but that happened on all bikes, otherwise no problems.

One more thing – I run a 50mm stem & 2" risers! My Niners to start with had a flat bar with a 90 stem.

6' 2.5" 34.5 inseam (short legs)

MrTall
    Free Member

Just been up to Two Wheels in Stourbridge and they have said they could do the Turner Sultan 29er for £1600 (instead of the normal £1900 apparently) which is something to think about now as it's only £100 more than the Ventana (i thought it'd be a lot more).

Nige, i was hoping you'd be in the Wyre with us yesterday as i was gonna pick your brains on the ins and out of full suss 29er's. Remember how much you had to drop my seatpost when you tried my Rockhopper though, my legs and arms are far longer than yours despite me being only 3" taller.

It'd be interesting to see if i'd be alright on Ton's 21" Ventana but i know the one 21" bike i still own is a tad too small for me. When Ton sells his in a months time maybe i can get it at a knock down price 😉

Two Wheels said that Singlespeedstu tried a Sultan 29er from them and liked it but was waiting for the carbon Santa Cruz instead. They had a normal Blur carbon in the shop and it was very nice i have to say, sooo light but i'd be frightened to ride it and ruin it.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Steve – YGM

bonesetter
    Free Member

I think the CB Tall Boy would be like the Blur – one drop or crash on a rock and the frame's toast 😯

Wouldn't mind a play on one for a bit though 😀

jonathan
    Free Member

I tried a Sultan on Saturday, after riding a Hifi 29er for a couple of months. The Fisher front end is better, but the rear of the Turner felt brilliant – really nicely planted compared to the Hifi. The Turner is more neutral handling, whilst Hifi does tend to encourage you to hammer it into every corner as fast as possible. The front of the Hifi glued to the backend of the Turner would be perfect 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

Cheers but my email address off here is my home one, not work so i'll read it later (not techy enough to access it remotely).

I may pop over to see you at some stage to have a chat and to look at your Shockwave, sorry, i mean Lenz ;-).

MrTall
    Free Member

Jonathan, i'm annoyed that the Fishers don't go any bigger than 21" as the HiFi full bikes are 'only' £1800 & £2100 and i'd rather buy a fully kitted out bike than get a frame and build it up as it's always more expensive that way.

I'd happily buy a Hifi but even in 21" i'm told they come up a bit small? I looked at the Fishers in Chevin Cyles but they didn't have any 21" in store to sit on.

bonesetter
    Free Member

MrTall – Member

I may pop over to see you at some stage to have a chat and to look at your Shockwave, sorry, i mean Lenz ;-).

Very welcome, anytime

jonathan
    Free Member

I'd happily buy a Hifi but even in 21" i'm told they come up a bit small?

I'm 'normal' sized (5' 11") so was riding a 17.5 inch 'medium'. It felt plently long enough, and many 'medium' frames tend to come up a bit short for me. That medium I was riding has an effective TT of 23.5" (according to the Fisher site) and the XL (21") an effective TT of 26.5" – which is a good chunk longer.

It'd definitely be worth hunting one down to sit on as they are excellent bikes for the money.

bonesetter
    Free Member

jonathan – Member

the XL (21") an effective TT of 26.5" – which is a good chunk longer.

It'd definitely be worth hunting one down to sit on as they are excellent bikes for the money.

Hey, that might be up your street after all Mr Tall

STATO
    Free Member

The 21" Hifi29er is down as 637.60mm toptube on the website so i dont think its 26.5"

bonesetter
    Free Member

Pity, it did sound just a chunk too much

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Foes 29er due possibly this year.

Speaking of 29ers…Foes 29er Seen in the Wild!

jonathan
    Free Member

The 21" Hifi29er is down as 637.60mm toptube on the website so i dont think its 26.5"

Sorry – yes – my bad – 3 and 7 confusion!

25 inches then… so not quite as promising for you 🙁

Clink

How about a Voodoo Canzo 29er http://www.voodoocycles.net/08_canzo29.htm

Good feedback on mtbr 29er forum, although you would have to buy from US

MrTall
    Free Member

Nice looking bike actually but only up to a 20" frame size so no good to me i'm afraid. 🙁

TooTall
    Free Member

Here is my test ride

I will be buying the bike – just couldn't get it this time – but hopefully before the end of the year.

ton

where can i place my order for one of those FOES jobbies 8)

shinsplints

I'm sure this is a ghey thread in disguise.Lots of talk of inches,inside leg measurements & sitting on each others property. 😆

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here you go guys, looks like we could all do what these comedians are. I know it's a HT, but it's quality entertainment

pstokes99
    Free Member

my buddie lives in Leeds and i go up to ride with him a couple of times a year so i'll chat to him and see when he's next free for a weekends riding

I'll speak to the FPO (Fun Prevention Officer) and see when she'll next allow me out to play.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

More on the Foes it is due 2010, 4inch travel and…gulp…$3000 with the Curnutt xtd, £2250 with Fox (Curnutt is worth the extra imho)

http://seaotter.mtbr.com/2009/04/24/foes-racing-29er-and-pasadena-commuter-bike/

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hey Steve, can you get a Salsa Big mama in your size?

Also has Voodoo Canzo been mentioned?

MrTall
    Free Member

Nige,

Voodoo only go up to 20" so no good.

Salsa looks very interesting, i've just read a fair few reviews on it and they are all positive. Plus it's £100 cheaper than the Ventana for the frame (although RP2 instead of RP23 on the El Capitan). Supposedly comes as a full build but i can't find anywhere that lists it other than as frame only. Comes up to a 22" which i'm pretty sure would be ok.

Currently on a shortlist of 2 then……… Cheers for the heads up. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Full Suss 29ers – What's out there?’ is closed to new replies.