Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Full sus to hardtail
  • aracer
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a full sus for 11 years now, during which time I’ve not owned a functional hardtail (though have a cross bike, and have ridden rigid bikes briefly at events a couple of times). How much of a shock to the system is it going to be getting on a hardtail at the grand old age of 41?

The thing is, we’re off on family holiday to FoD in a couple of weeks and I’m trying to cut down on the number of bikes to take – already have tandem, mrs aracer’s bike and mini-aracer’s bike to take along with whatever I want. Can’t take my full-sus as it’s carbon and I need something which will take a kiddy seat. Thought about the cross bike, but thinking it might not be so much fun, so now looking at finally putting my old hardtail back together (90s kit, hence 8-speed and Vs, but looking to use a disk only fork retired only because I got something better – hence need for cable disk brake). I presume that would make for more relaxing fun than the cross bike, but would I still get really frustrated at lack of bounce?

RealMan
    Free Member

You will probably love it and come back wanting to sell the full sus and buy a proper bike.

Bregante

Surely this holiday connundrum is sufficient excuse reason to buy a new bike?

aracer
    Free Member

Unfortunately, Bregante, already having lots of bikes, now having two kids (who also need lots of bikes) and currently being at risk of redundancy rather rules that out!

VanHalen

having ridden my full suss soley for the last 2 weeks, commute and proper rides, i was amazed how brutal the HT was this morning.

i must remember to avoid the bumpy bits.

cynic-al
    Free Member

1. If you’ve got the time & money to build it, go for it, it’s not gonna make much difference, not like you’re going to be gnarling it up with the kid on board.
    2. Think about what other riding you are likely to do – presumably solo rides w/o kid could be gnarlier and justify the HT build?

RealMan – Member
    You will probably love it and come back wanting to sell the full sus and buy a proper bike.

…6 months later…

RealMan – Member
    You will probably love it and want to sell the hardtail and buy a proper bike.

imp999
    Free Member

I was riding a Comencal FS and built a HandsomeDog HT frame up for Mrs imp but it turned out too big for her but just right for me!
    The Commi never turned a wheel in anger again.

For the riding I do (And the FoD is in that) a HT is dead-on.

As long as there is nothing too shonky on your build to spoil things I reckon you will really like the difference.

psling
    Free Member

How much of a shock to the system is it going to be getting on a hardtail at the grand old age of 41?

Not so much a shock as:

…we’re off on family holiday to FoD…

😯

Seriously though, a hardtail pretty much the bike of choice around the FoD unless you’re sessioning the DH runs 8)

windowshopper
    Free Member

Bought a Boardman HT Pro (hardtail) last year and it’s been so much fun that my full sus top of the range Stumpjumper now sits in the garage feeling unloved.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Full sus to hardtail’ is closed to new replies.