Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Full sus to Hard tail – anyone regretted it?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

I am set on an MMMBop and would need to get rid of the trance x frame. Its a strict 1 in 1 out policy here due to cash and space.

The build for the MMMBop would be very good – fox talas/hope and stans wheels etc.

Main reason for wanting the mmbop is that it looks ace!! Plus when climbing i am locking out teh shock 95% of the time so would not miss it on the ups/flats. Down hill i love riding a hardtail so hopefully its win win.

Anyone gone from FS to Ht and not regretted/regretted it?

Trance X Sale advert here if interested

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I moved to a HT 3-4 years ago now and have never regretted it. However I had a go on a ful sus at Afan a few months ago and it was great but that was the first time I have had a go on one since swapping. Still don't regret moving to a hardtail.

mmb
    Free Member

nope i went full suss to hardtail to singlespeed to fully rigid singlespeed in three months and today took out my full suss for the first in months and hated it, will now only use for trail centres.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

will now only use for trail centres.

I took a fully rigid to Afan cuz I is ard core, enit.!

It hurt. 😥

mtbfix

I can only imagine that you guys are deluding yourselves! I took my hardtail out for the first time in months at the weekend and the only time I thought that it was doing a better job than the FS was climbing on fire roads. I'd never be without the hardtails or singlespeed options but if I had to restrict myself to just one it would be the Anthem.

BB

Went from a Trance to a Mmmbop this year. Loving it (but that's what everyone says about their current bike).

I don't seem to be any slower than I was and now want to ride my local trails again. I'm not finding it overly harsh either. No more than my steel SS.

Just don't get a green one 'cos that's what I've got (before they got all popular/cheap).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You won't regret it, how could you? I had both a while ago then sold the FS & am very happy with the HT.
    Waiting for an Orange 5 coming but only cos I could afford one due to a windfall but would never ever get rid of the HT.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I think it depends on where you ride/ live mainly. I frequent the chase a lot and until recently I don't think there was any real need for a full sus. In fact I still don't think there is any real need but I do think it would be a lot more fun. As for my door step stuff it can be done on a BMX, a 5" HT is overkill and a full sus would be ridiculous.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Like you, I had to sell one due to lack of money, and it was the full sus that went.
    "Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention"
    I will though – the bb was higher on my full sus and I REALLY miss that ! When the ground was rock-hard, I missed it (well my back did) plus you can 'glide' over rutty stuff easier. You just ride things in a different way, a bit more sapping but I've ridden just as many hours in one stint as I did with the other bike so…do I miss it ? Yeah, but I 'think' I can live without it…..maybe…

Bunnyhop

Having gone back onto my HT for the last 2 rides I would never give up my FS.
    Last night I fell off the HT twice, once going uphill-doh!. I forget that I can't just ride downhill where I'd like, but instead have to ride it properly and read the trail. I like the comfort of the FS too much.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Forgot to say though, I'm off to North Wales next month and I'm SURE I'll miss it then…bigger tyres time, I guess !

clubber
    Free Member

I've switched several times for reasons of breakage or just fancying a change.

I'd always have a full susser by preference but currently am fed up with snapping them. I'm perfectly happy with my hardtails, mind but they're just a bit less flattering at times, particularly when I'm unfit.

wors

Never ridden a fs, lately i keep thinking i'm missing out on something. But when i can ride anything that other people ride on the full bouncers just as fast. I think i'll save my cash.

clubber
    Free Member

Maybe with your rad skillz you'd then be even faster… 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

went from FS to hardtail about 3 years ago and even though the FS was ultimately faster, and more appealing to my lower back, I enjoy the HT more, and find it more rewarding and more fun.

Like all bikes though, you've got to get the setup right and the geometry spot on. I'm not fan of the latest slack-angled hardtails, for example.

Just got myself a ti frame, so we'll see how that goes….

racing_ralph
    Free Member

someone buy my trance x frame then 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, they're crap 😉

bol

I've got no regrets. I went from a stumpy to a ti xc hardtail, and from a Pitch to an mmmbop. Then got a Soda, which for me is the best of all worlds. It does mean that I've got a mint 20ins blue mmmbop frame and reducer headset that I need to get round to selling if you're interested Ralph?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the 20" is too big i am afraid – need an 18" mmbop. What is the headset – i may well be up for that

crocodilian
    Free Member

Shift from a Remedy to a BFe. Don't regret it. Took it to Glentress and Innerleithen and it was fine. I'm sure the Remedy would have been great too, don't get me wrong but not for one moment did I want for the full suss. I wasn't uncomfortable either, I was slightly concerned pre-trip that I would be.

bol

It's a cane creek IIRC, but I think I'd better sell it with the frame. The mmmbop's great, but just a bit too slack for most of my riding. Good fun though.

LMT
    Free Member

I went from Trek Fuel ex7 the old 2006 model 100mm both ends to an Orange P7 125mm travel up front and haven't looked back.

Only reason i still have the bouncer is the fact ive struggled to sell it, just can't shift the damn thing, i put it down to the fact that its a small size.

Ive found when riding my HT it wants to jump, hit baby table tops at cannock the bike just wants to fly, while my bouncer stays planted to the ground. I also find my HT quicker about 10mins a lap on FTD/Monkey, not much to some but there is a difference!

darrell
    Free Member

no

cinnamon_girl

Have been without a FS for 8 months now so only HTs for me. Didn't miss it to start with cos my HTs are ace but dunno whether it's the dry ground cos I feel slightly beaten up after 35 miles. Probably old age. 😳

Edit: latest HT is the same weight as the FS.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Sold an old Trance a while ago & haven't replaced it (twas my Peaks/Wales etc bike) Getting back my old 456 on friday to rebuild & really looking forward to it, which'll give me a full sus as a xc bike & hardtail as a 'big bike' odd way round, but will be able to give a recent honest opinion next week when it's back together!

c9tln
    Free Member

since i've had my s/s pipedream sirius i haven't been out on my iron horse full suss,seems loads more fun at the moment,and getting loads fitter,been around colne valley and marsden this eve.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

No, although I'm hoping to get a FS for bigger stuff in the future.

plecostomus
    Free Member

I've been full circle (suspension bike to hardtail) three times now, and I've always come back to enjoy the hardtail more (5inch fork hardtail) I've done weeks in France on them both and happily ride either but if I had to pick one the hardtail would win, pick your lines and hone your skills and you'll be fine, I'm yet to find a trail in the uk where a hardtail won't cope, saying that in chamonix and morzine this summer I couldn't either, yer I may be a second or two slower than the guy on the big travel skill compensator but I have just as much fun!

br
    Free Member

If you are short of cash (and space), just keep the Trance.

rs
    Free Member

Went from an Spesh Enduro to Dialled Alpine, didn't regret it one bit and still don't, its an awesome bike with big forks and 2.5 tires, however i'm now looking to replace the alpine with a 7" full suss, riding a lot rougher more technical terrain these days than i was when i bought it, its still rideable on the hardtail but its beating the shit out of me on a regular basis.

thomthumb
    Free Member

full sus is a girls bike – man up a bit.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Full sus to Hard tail – anyone regretted it?’ is closed to new replies.