Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Full Sus on a turbo trainer + what tyres?
  • transapp
    Free Member

Does anyone run thier full sus bikes on a turbo? I’ve only got one bike (Giant Anthem) and due to a shoulder dislocation, no chance of riding proper for a while so looking for a way to keep the belly at bay.
    Additionally, do I need a slick rear for a turbo? Have a choice of mud pluggers, racing ralfs or going shopping.

Cheers

Tom83

I use mine on a turbo, i look after my son most evenings, so once he’s asleep get an hour or so in. Bought a slick tyre to on my spare wheel from wooly hat shop on ebay for a few squid.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’d get to spinning classes if you’re able – much less dull 🙂

You don’t have to have a slick on the rear but the noise a knobbly tyre makes is appalling.

daveawood
    Free Member

Slicks will be quieter than knobblies but a specific turbo tyre which runs quieter and cooler is best.

They’re not dear but i’ve one you can have if you’re near Leeds?

transapp
    Free Member

Spinning classes are out sadly, not a gym memeber, work long hours and have an 8 month old daughter. Turbo in the kitchen is the only way forwards 🙁 Right oh, slick rear coming up plus a turb from ebay. Anyone got any good ones they know about? or are they all dull, noisy pain machines?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Anyone got any good ones they know about?

magnetic oneswith variable resistance are the most mtb like – according to someone who knows a lot more about training than me.

so thats what i bought. i got a cyclops mag + as i needed one that would fit a track bike & mtb. otherwise i would have been looking at tacx satori blue.

HTH

mildred

I’ve got one of those orange Continental Home Trainer tyres that’s been used just once – £15 posted if you want it. 26 x 1.9″ If I recall (its in loft so can’t just pop n look).

njee20
    Free Member

If you’re buying a tyre solely for this definitely get a proper trainer one, no reason not to!

Alternatively, get a Minoura RDA trainer, then you can just stick with the knobblies.

legspin
    Free Member

Conti do a turbo tyre. Then get yourself over to the Sufferfest website and download yourself a workout.

transapp
    Free Member

Yep, interested in the tyre. Will get onto buying a turbo tonight then be in touch.
    Any reccomendations on a magnetic turbo? Gonna be an ebay job as I really, really don’t want one – but it’s better than being fat!

thomthumb
    Free Member

if it’s just for the recovery period find one thats close (most are pick up only) and cheap.

transapp
    Free Member

Yep, looking now. Liking the look of the Tacx blue – but it would clash with the orange frame on the bike!
    Cheers for the help.

superfli
    Free Member

I just got myself a spinning bike for when its really grim outside+the missus can use it without being too uncomfortable. I didnt want a turbo as it would mean carting the bike indoors, changing tyres and clamping it in, whereas a spin bike will be ready to ride with minimal fuss. Picking up a “gym class” InStyle m800 for £60 tonight.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Full Sus on a turbo trainer + what tyres?’ is closed to new replies.