Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Full sus dilemma
  • blackhat
    Free Member

Right, it’s got to climb well (cos I like it like that) but I’ve got to descend with confidence (cos left to my own devices I don’t like it as much as I should). I want to ride all day and be able to do so the next day too. It’s sort of XC big or AM lite. There seems to be a lot of choices and the diary means I’ve not a lot of time to sort out a test ride. Is it a Yeti 575, Motolite/FTM, Trek 9., Superlight, Blur, or something else?. I throw myself upon the STW collective.

jam-bo

orange five.

trickydisco
    Free Member

superlight – can be built up to be very light.. climbs very well with no bob and you can put some rev uturns on the front to give > 130 (well the 2008 one’s)

Had mine 2 years now and love it (only ever ridden a FS stumpy in spain for a week to compare) Saying that Steve worland swears by his and he’s tested 1000’s of bikes

druidh
    Free Member

Meta? The 5.5, not the 6

firestarter
    Free Member

turner five spot. I built mine up with olympics and mini pros and was just over 26 pound. But now built up with ex1750 m4s and a gravity dropper so much more am and stil only 29 pounds. Great bike too

boxelder

I’d go with the simplicity of a Superlight, or a lighter model of Kona (I’ve a King, which is great, though does have quite a low front end)

Inzane
    Free Member

second the 5-spot. Great bike!

Filthy
    Free Member

Cannondale Rush, but not like they come out of the factory, stick a short stem and some risers on it.

the_flying_scotsman
    Free Member

Have a look at the Gary Fisher G2 full sussers – the Hi-Fi or the Roscoe (if you want to go a bit burlier) might fit the bill. I’ve had a Hi-fi Pro since 2007 and won’t be looking to change anytime soon. Hammered it round Dalby Forest and Llandegla this week, and it’s still surprising me..

Andyhilton
    Free Member

prophet frame, components: your choice

theflatboy
    Free Member

ellsworth truth or epiphany 🙂

cymohndee
    Free Member

Pace RC405 with a bolt thru fork. Luverrley.

sharki
    Free Member

So what we see here is the classic example of ‘ i love my bike you should get one like me’

Get out and test ride as many as you can…there’s alot out there and what may feel good for one may not feel so right for you.

I’ve not got a FS but my chameleon climbs and descends well, but judging by your post it may not quite be what your after.

Happy hunting!
    Sharki

Mattie_H
    Free Member

I”ll second on the Superlight. But you can’t run more than 120mm forks up front without invalidating the warranty.

heihei

For what you describe, the Ibis Mojo would be the best bike I’ve ridden that would fit the bill, closely followed by a Titus Motolite. New DW 5-Spot would be too heavy (great bike though) and the old versions a bit lighter but not as snappy under acceleration. Never been a fan of VPP designs (although admit I’ve not ridden the 2nd generation), and whilst think the Yeti is a great-looking bike, prefer other designs over single-pivot.

Swello
    Free Member

Sharki says it best – you need to get some tests done. When I was wanting to buy a full-susser with precisely the same requirements as you, I demo’s a bunch of bikes (Santa Cruz Superlight, Orange 5, Gary Fisher HiFi + a couple of others). Going on all the reviews and recommendations on here, I was convinced I was going to go for an Orange 5 – but when I tested it, I *hated* it. Now that is undeniably a fantastic bike, but I just didn’t get on with it at all and that’s the danger of going primarily on other’s advice. Get a shortlist together and have some fun….

PS – in the end, I went for a bike I demo’d as an afterthought – Nicolai Helius CC – adjustable between 96mm and 138mm at the rear and between 100mm and 140mm at the front courtesy of a Fox Talas fork, weighs in at 26.5lbs – super versatile bike – maybe one to add to the shortlist if the cost and looks don’t deter you….

metalheart
    Free Member

Giant Trance?

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

Spesh sx trail lush

infidel
    Free Member

FWIW I love my 575. Hamazing.

grumm
    Free Member

Trance X? I don’t own one but I have tested one and it was very nice.

MrSmith
    Free Member

trance-X
    not fashionable because it’s a giant and cheap. but good enough for turner to copy the suspension design.

{runs away from irate iron-horse/turner fans}

Stretch
    Free Member

The dw link 5 spot is a great all round trail bike. You can build it up to be anything you want it to be.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

If you are after versatility you’re after I may as well suggest the bike that I went for after test riding most of the other bikes mentioned thus far:

Bionicon Golden Willow.
    Everything is so very adjustable and makes for a comfortable bike for whatever you plan that day.
    Worth getting a test if you can manage.

here’s a review
    Singletrack comments

steveh

Mrin quad 120’s – mount vision etc. I’ve got the bigger quad 140 and it’s great.

blackhat
    Free Member

Thanks folks – ther’s a couple of new ideas to add to the short list (long list, more like). I know I need to do the test rides, but living in the south means that a test on “proper” terrain takes a bit of fixing up, and there are only so may trips you can make to the big hills. So the purpose of the question was to try and hopefully narrow down my search early in the process.

Once agian, thanks one and all.

RepacK
    Free Member

Blur LT is good, 140mm all round & can go bigger. A good climber too & not too heavy – I think mine is about 26.5 lbs.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Full sus dilemma’ is closed to new replies.