Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Full on Ironman – really?!?!
  • topangarider
    Free Member

My bro said to me today, “maybe we should do an ironman before were are 35?”

Previously we’ve done sprint triathlons, some off road marathons, runs etc.

How stupid would it be for someone who does a 44 min 10k (run) and a 25min 10k TT (bike) to do a full ironman?

jeffc

We it depends how long you have to train for it and what your expectations are.

Do you just want to complete the distance in the 17 hours permitted? Do you want to run the whole marathon? Are you aiming for a certain time?

To complete in 17 hours is really just about grinding it out. You can walk the whole marathon in about 6.5 hours or so which still allows about 1.5hrs for the swim and 9hrs for the 112 mile bike ride. Some people would debate whether this is a true ‘Ironman’, however. Seeing guys in their 70s finish within any time however is mighty impressive. I would expect a 35 year old should be aiming higher…

BIG difference between 10k running and marathon running. Likewise 10k TT v 180k. It’s just about getting the miles in though and learning how to feed yourself throughout the event. It really is not only the domain of the elite athletes. Go to any big IM event and you’ll find 1500 competitors out of which there will be a huge range of body shapes and abilities.

I reckon if you want to do a good attempt at the distance, give yourself a year or so to train up for it. Aim to get up to marathon run distance over the next 6 months then build on that for IM. Don’t rush the training though as you’ll likely get injuries as you build up the distances. You say ‘off road marathons’. Do you mean running 42km off road? If so then you’re a long way there.

Best of luck

yetiguy
    Free Member

You obviously have a fitness base so no worries, get yourself a signed into one and get a training plan, it will be tough but definitely doable.

I am doing IM UK, local to me, but you are spoilt for choice with

The Outlaw
    IM Wales
    Challenge Henley

See you in the water!

warton
    Free Member

most training plans are 6 months +. Ironman is in August. get training! Get Iron Fit is a great start.

I trained for Ironman 2009 for 5 months, but due to a couple of injuries I pulled out. The training in Get iron Fit is challenging. 2 sessions a day 4 days a week, 2 long sessions on the weekend, plenty of 4.30 starts…

oldgit
    Free Member

I competed in the first UK full Ironman in 1985. I did however have a ten year sound base in cycle racing and about five in distance running. Swimming though was something I’d never bothered with, so I had about six months to get from two lengths to two miles plus.

Basically back then there wasn’t any training plans about, no diet advice, no energy food, no wetsuits, no tri-bars. Just Speedos, steel road bike and a pair of the new on the scene Nikes.
    So training was pretty simple as well. Back to back. run – cycle, cycle – swim, swim – run etc. I also ditched pool training and donned a rubber hat smeared myself in vaseline and jumped in the Serpentine.

Basically what I’m saying is quality training and a bit of luck injury wise and you’ll do a good one. The main pressure on me back then was that there weren’t any guys out to just complete it, there were about fifteen entrants and it was a full on race.

Think I got a sub 10 hour. Nearly last out of the lake, posted the third fastest bike time and died on the run because of it.

Edit; My none technical approach to training generally consisted of two 1/2 marathons a month, three day blocks of ten mile runs, 10 mile TTs once a week, 100 miles two Sundays a month. Swimming was squeezed in during any free time as I found I could swim train after competing in runs or rides.

allthepies
    Free Member

Wait until a version comes out on the xbox/ps3/wii ?

MrOvershoot

You might need to do a bit more cycling if its taking you 25 minutes to do 10k 😉

topangarider
    Free Member

well spotted – 10 MILES!!

69er
    Free Member

A mate of mine did an IM (Lanzarote) on NO TRAINING! More than once in fact, as he did Sherbourne the previous year! I’m not sure how much he enjoyed it, and doing it for 14 hrs, but you sound like you’ve got it in the bag 😉

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Sorry about the hijack – 69er, where is my seatpost I paid for ?

hitman
    Free Member

Sorry about the hijack – 69er, where is my seatpost I paid for ?

😕

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Full on Ironman – really?!?!’ is closed to new replies.