Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Full length gear cable- How long?
  • mefster
    Free Member

As a mentioned in my previous post, I'm putting a 1 x 9 setup on my Love/Hate, and as there are no cable braze-ons I'll be running full length outer cable, zip tied to the frame. I'm at work at the moment so can't measure on the bike, but want to order the cable. I'm just wondering what length of cable outer I'll need to buy. Will 2 x 600mm lengths of XTR outer be enough. Allowing me to run the cable along the top tube and down the seatstay, and joining them with a cable oiler in the middle?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

it's usually 1.3m to 1.5m for a continuous outercable run, but it depends on the rear mech type, frame length / size, how you route the cable etc.

Is the XTR pre-cut? I wouldn't bother with pre cut cables, just buy 2m length of outer cable andcut it to length when you can measure it against the bike.

If you have to join 2 sections outer to form the rear mech run then you could use a Middleburn cable oiler to join the 2 sections. Also make sure the end ferrules you order are the same diameter as the cable outer, as there are two different sizes for cable outer.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I just bought a 10metre roll of XTR (SP41) outer and use it as required, works out cheaper in the long run.

tinsy
    Free Member

This fits exactly as you want to an SLX shaddow rear mech on an 18" on one scandal without any need for cutting down..

Bling without the sting.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17563

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Full length gear cable- How long?’ is closed to new replies.