Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Full face helmets for all day use…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

A mate stacked badly this weekend in a silly crash that could have been me many times over.

He’s got big face damage that a full Face would have prevented.

Obviously there are the Bell Super 8 and new Parachute with lots of vents and removable chins. The Parachute apparently is a pain to unclip the chin of anyway, probably rendering it a pointless feature.

I’m not too worried about removable chin bars as having one there is what I’m more interested in.

What else is there that won’t cook my head too badly climbing and generally wearing all day? I see CRC are doing relatively cheap POC Cortexes.

For ref, I’m happy with a Giro Feature in full summer vent wise.

darrenspink
    Free Member

You’ll struggle to find a proper fullface thats not hot on a summers day or big climb as the reason they have the safety marks and have passed the DH tests is because of the lack of top holes (stop potential puncturing).

I have a super 2r and with the chin bar on and it isn’t that much hotter at all, ive had a giro and its not much different, however I won’t be using it for any DH runs..its a step up from a normal helmet which could be what you’re after anyway.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m no downhiller. I’m strictly looking for AM type pedalling up and singletrack down type use. I’m really trying very hard not to use the ‘E’ word… 🙂

Really, I’m just looking for options that aren’t the Bell or Metz simply for a wide field.

The POC has slipped into the same price range while it’s on sale, I’ve read reviews that said it vented well (for a ff) but pointed out the lack of DH certs but that’s fine with me.

My view is that removable chin bars are likely to be like uncomfortable elbow pads and never there when they help…

pedlad

PSA bought my first full face tonight from Crc
    Urge downomatic £150rrp for £67!

Reviews say it runs cool

TheBrick
    Free Member

Take the helmet off when riding uphill and strap it to your bag put it back on for the blast down. Simple and effective solution.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are a bit heavy and bulky for this and many descents in the UK are pedally

I like the idea of a half way house

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Parachute apparently is a pain to unclip the chin of anyway, probably rendering it a pointless feature.

I’m pretty sure MET don’t think you’re meant to remove the Parachute’s chinguard. It’s just a light, heavily-vented full-face.

scottfitz
    Free Member

pedlad – Member

PSA bought my first full face tonight from Crc
    Urge downomatic £150rrp for £67!

Reviews say it runs cool

I have a Urge downomatic, its a great helmet but I wound not like to ride up in it. The Archi-enduro would be better for that.

timidwheeler

I’ve got one of these.

kali avatar

It is very light and well vented for a full face helmet.

poah
    Free Member

met parachute is an excellent helmet, runs much cooler than my 661 FF. it is more of a pain to remove but I don’t like wearing a piss pot helmet.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve got a one ride old Urge Archi-Enduro lid you can buy off me, if you want something that’s intended for all day use.

Where are you riding? And where did you mate fall off?

Northwind

Down-o-matic runs cool for a proper fullface but you’re still putting your head in a box. The Archi-Enduro has the exact same main vents, only the chin is different so I doubt it’s any less sweaty- the Down-o-matic’s chinpiece is already very open. You might be OK but it’s too hot for comfort for me, for climbing.

Milkie
    Free Member

I’ve just got the Bell Super 2R and I am pretty impressed with it. Comfy, very airy and it’s two lids in one and so it should be for the price. 😉 The chin guard takes about 10 seconds to put on, very easy, very secure, really does change it into an airy full face helmet.

I can now scream ENDUROO when I cut corners, rather than shouting STRAVAA, that was so last year. 😉 😆

MSP

I am surprised that a few more manufacturers haven’t hit the market with offering in this segment.

I had a spesh carbon deviant a few years ago, and although light for and well vented for a full face helmet, I am not convinced the normal openface helmet inner shell and fastening system really works for a full face, it never really felt properly secure to me.

That said I an going to go shopping at some point this spring and try on the bell 2r and the met parachute to see how they feel.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Don’t do it.

Reviews say it runs cool

NO helmet does, let alone a full-facer.

vincienup
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’m aware no FF is ever going to be as cool as an open lid.

Rickon, it was Hamsterley where my mate stacked this weekend. I don’t often get to Hammers these days, but tend to ride wherever – Peaks, Gisburn, Heb, Guisborough, Highlands, Lakes, Wales, Basque Country all come to mind and have been visited in the last year or are on the near horizon.

I’m currently running a Feature and a Hex as AM lids, the Hex is overvented at times IMO. It’s mostly relegated to commutey town and country stuff on the cx. I’m thinking keep AM open facers for pootling round bridleways but take an FF for anything Trail and up. I’ve thought about convertible helmets and don’t believe I’d use them properly plus for the same reason droppers are better than QS’s unless you prefer standing and talking. This would also count against carrying a second helmet. Hanging a helmet off your bars or wearing it backwards on top of your head etc isn’t really viable for technical climbing. All just my opinion. 🙂

Rephrase I guess: if I wanted something with protection approaching a proper full face but prioritising ventilation over penetration protection is there any point looking beyond the Parachute and Super 2r? And does anyone have any feedback on the Cortex Flow? . Outdoorgearlab is probably the closest to a comprehensive review I’ve seen on it. I’m normally big on telling people to try helmets on, but I’m not sure you really get a feel for ventilation in a shop…

nickc

I rode with a guy a few weeks ago who was wearing a Bell super 2R (or whatever it’s called) and 1. he needed it 😆 fell on his head a few times, and he bounced right back up again each time, I was super impressed with how well it protected him. 2. it didn’t seem to bother him any more than any other sort of helmet.

creamegg
    Free Member

ive got a POC and I wouldn’t want to do much pedalling uphill in it. Gets hot even on a cold day

rickon
    Free Member

In answer to your question… no.

The Super 2r or the Met Parachute are really all your opyions at the moment.

Ive got the Super 2r, i use it as a normal half shell 95% of the time, then pop on the chin guard for uplifts. Its brilliant really and properly versatile.

vincienup
    Free Member

Fair dos.

Cheers guys, I’ll try and pull them on somewhere and see which fits best. I’m normally more Giro shape than Bell but I gather Bell have altered fit between the regular Super and the 2r…

pedlad

Don’t do it.

Reviews say it runs cool
    NO helmet does, let alone a full-facer.[quote]

Just to explain the full face is for my first alps trip so whilst all day use, it’s mainly going to be uplift rather than for pedally days

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Full face helmets for all day use…’ is closed to new replies.