Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Full Face Helmets Do you Don't you?
  • badllama
    Free Member

Ok so I usually wear a POC Trabec for trails, commute in fact all the time I’m on the bike and just got a decent DH bike and wondering should I get / do I need a Full Face Helmet?

I will not be racing at all just doing my own stuff

Be intrested to hear peoples thoughts when they do / don’t wear them for personal riding whether they think when as a rider I should wear one?

The reason I’m thinking is most of my DH will be alone so a good FFH would / maybe be a good idea?Goes without saying already have the knee pads 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are you likely to be falling off more? At higher speeds?

These are the sort of things that made me buy one.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

If you’ll be riding a DH bike what is the disadvantage of wearing one? Oh yeh, there isn’t one. Just get one.

badllama
    Free Member

Cheers gents

falkirk-mark

If yer ugly do not bother, but if you are half decent looking and have good teeth get one.

spudnick
    Free Member

get one. there not that expensive and better than spending time in a hospital bed when you fall off (coz you will at some point)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have one for DH and uplift days

It just seems to make sense
    if they made one you could ride in all day i would have that as I have mangled my face a few times in crashes

badllama
    Free Member

LOL just ordered one 🙂
    Not that good looking 🙂 but I prefer things the way they are and so I would imagine would the mrs 😀

rudebwoy
    Free Member

only for going to the shops

tomcrow99

Definitely. This is my mate after he had a high speed stack at Inners on Saturday whilst wearing a normal XC lid…

Get well soon Pete

falkirk-mark

Thats the reason I am happy for people to laugh at me with a met parachute on, it is also the reason that snide comments should not be made for those of us that choose to wear them and more importantly for the people that do not wear them down to peer pressure.
    hope yer mates feeling better

rocketman
    Free Member

imho there’s more to a ff than saving one’s face

A well fitting lid and a good pair of goggles make a snug little bubble to ride in. Wind noise and the sensations of moving quickly are reduced, and as we all know one of the keys to going fast is to reduce the noise vibration and harshness associated with speed

Buckle up and snap those goggles into place it makes a big difference

swingbing
    Free Member

@tomcrow… ouch. Where at Inners was that? Towards the top it is really, really fast eh.

Get well soon Pete!

ton

i bought one for uplifts. feel like darth vader in it…. 😀

Northwind

Not for everyday trails… I’ve got a nice Urge Down-o-matic which is pretty well vented but even then it’s a bugger to pedal in. Also I don’t really like the increased disconnection from my surroundings- loss of perception of speed can help me go faster, but it can also help me go too fast! And I reckon the perceived speed is what makes things fun, not the real speed.

But for downhill, there’s not that much reason not to other than personal preferences, and I almost always do. It’s your face!

porter_jamie

i got one for the alps, and i am glad i did! too hot for xc though

tomcrow99

Road gap. He over cooked it , lost control and hit a tree. Snapped his Nomad in half!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get a basic one. My 661 was the second one in the range for 90. Try before you buy and match up with some goggles.

legend
    Free Member

tomcrow99 – Member
    Road gap. He over cooked it , lost control and hit a tree. Snapped his Nomad in half!

That’ll be this guy then

scotchegg
    Free Member

Dam that’s nasty. I always used to wear a full face and Daiese armour on a DH up lift day. I fall off far too often.

watsontony
    Free Member

i was riding in the rain the other month and if i was wearing a full face i would probs of ditched it but coz i just had my hood up i decided to hang on to the bike and im still alive

grantway
    Free Member

For everyday stuff I use the Specaliszed Devient.
    To increase the airflow which is very good
    I take out the padding around the cheeks.
    This is clipped in so no mess or discomfort
    whilst removed, very good helmet

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thought the fork would break before the frame! Jeepers.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Northwind, what goggles are you using in your Urge? I can just about use oakley o frames, but everything else so far is too big.

Nasty crash!I always use a full face for DH, but that doesn’t help when you hit the DH tracks on an XC ride. The Deviant sounds like a good option for gravity enduros!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d probably consider the Met Parachute for the Gravities (if its allowed) Just enough Full face to cover the rules….

Deviants cooler than a full er full face but still not what you call cool and airy

michaelmcc
    Free Member

For everyday stuff I use the Specaliszed Devient.
    To increase the airflow which is very good
    I take out the padding around the cheeks.
    This is clipped in so no mess or discomfort
    whilst removed, very good helmet

Looks like some weird attempt at a mountain bike Limerick lol. 😉

kimbers

if youve bought a dh bike then a ffh and body armour will give you confidence to get the most out of your new bike
    especially if you want to get the most out of your new toy

jedi

i wear a carbon kali avatar hardly know i got it on.

Northwind

Bagstard – Member

Northwind, what goggles are you using in your Urge? I can just about use oakley o frames, but everything else so far is too big.

My Crowbars work a charm. Just got a set of cheap No Fear ones as well which seem like they’ll work but I haven’t ridden in them yet.

mintimperial

This Tuesday I went to Wharnecliffe for the first time with a DH-riding mate, that was an eye opener. I’ve just bought my first full-facer and some pads and stuff so I can go back and play properly… 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Full Face Helmets Do you Don't you?’ is closed to new replies.