Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fuertaventura – Any Good Riding?
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

I’m off on holiday to the Costa Calma area of Fuertaventura in May.

Anyone know if it’s worth taking the MTB? I’ve been before without the bike, and it looks like the surface of mars! All jagged rocks and sand… (I don’t have a fat bike unfortunately!)

888trojan888
    Free Member

I went to Celeta de fuste last year and got out one day. I just took my camelback, cycling rags and my gps and hired a bike once I got there. I pinched someones route off strava that looked vaguely interesting and went with that. Take plenty of water as its silly hot and dry. You can get some pretty horrid wind too!

The going can be tough as its a lot of loose sand but still very interesting to get out on the arid landscape.

I done 26 miles in the middle of no where and drank about 3 litres of water.

Overall very different to the UK, hard going but still enjoyable

sweepy
    Free Member

We were a bit further north so not directly applicable, but we had a great day on hired MTBs following a track that skirted the coast.
    Sometimes you were next to the sea and could stop for a swim and laze in the sun, then you would be further back, looking down on dry riverbeds feeling like it was the arse end of the desert.
    We spent the morning making our way along till we came to a beach cafe where we ate the best seafood i’ve ever had with a few beers over a couple of hours, then did the same on the way back.
    I loved the scenery, completely different to at home, and as a bike ride it was different from my normal and great for it.
    If you do hire a bike i’d suggest taking a multitool.

stumpy01

We stayed in Costa Caleta last year in April.

It looked quite barren, but imagine it would be quite an interesting place to have a potter around for something different.

God it was windy though! As in, almost can’t stand up straight windy near the coast.
    The electrician we use is a keen windsurfer and apparently Fuerteventura is a bit of a windsurf mecca due to the guaranteed winds.

Lucas
    Free Member

Fuerteventura means strong wind in Spanish so not surprising that its a bit windy.
    😀

PMK2060

I hired a bike last year when I stopped at caleta. The riding is ok but not amazing. The hire shop on the sea front will give you a free map and advice on routes.

downhilldave

Not ridden around the Costa Calma area. Have ridden there about a dozen times and there are some very good routes if can find them.I ride with some local Spanish guys.

Have a look at this website, have ridden with Jirko a few times –
    http://www.fuerteventuramountainbike.com/en/about-us/

rob8624
    Free Member

Myself and the wife stayed near Correlejo (north of the island) and hired two hardtails. We headed out to the volcanos by Lajares, which is just to the south west of Correlejo. There an awesome short loop there and it’s easy to access other trails by the look of it but sadly we didn’t have time to explore.

Enjoy it’s a great place.

scottalej
    Free Member

Similar ride as rob8624 last year but hired bikes in El Cotillo and then headed via cycle tracks and old roads up to the volcanos by Lajares. You can then drop down from there to Corralejo for some grub and then follow the old track along the coast back to El Cotillo.

breninbeener

Im going to Coralejo in a couple of weeks. If anyone has any gpx files or map/route recommendations i would love that! Thanks

grenosteve
    Free Member

Sweet, thanks guys. Those photos have sold it to me. 🙂

There seems to be some nice coastal paths just north of our hotel crossing river beds etc while hugging the coast.

unfortunately the only decent hire place is way up north…. Not sure about renting an argos full-sus bike for 10 euros a day from the local one… may just take the superlight or karate monkey as I already have a bike bag.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Also, good tip I found (if you have strava premium) you can go on the Route Creator, then turn on the “global heat map setting”, which shows the most commonly used tracks. great for picking up otherwise hidden trails. 🙂

Nico
    Free Member

Fuertaventura means “strong luck” in Spanish. Not “strong winds”. It tends to be windy in certain places on the island and more so in the summer.

Moe

We went to Corralejo a few years ago and I went for a run out in the hills, very rocky but fantastic views! 🙂

cakefacesmallblock

Windsurfing speed records have been made and broken, many times, over the years, at Sotavento , on the east coast near the south, where the already strong wind blasts between the hills at the narrow point in the island.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fuertaventura – Any Good Riding?’ is closed to new replies.