• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • FSA/Truvativ crank removal help please!
  • DezB
    Free Member

My son’s Specialized Carve, this crank –

8mm inner, 10mm outer. 8mm allen key fits into the inner crank bolt, so presuming it’s a self-extractor.
    However, full force, plus a big bar for extra torsion on the allen key won’t budge it.

Am I doing it right? They don’t make a clockwise removal one do they?

Help!

padkinson
    Free Member

You are doing it right, you just need a bigger bar and/or a hammer I’m afraid.

DezB
    Free Member

Damn! thanks for reply. Reckon its siezed. 🙁

tillydog
    Free Member

They’re *really* tight…

(Also, you’d need to put the outer bit back on for it to self-extract, but that’s not the immediate problem.)

DezB
    Free Member

Too tight for me! Felt like the frame was more likely to break then that piece of crap come undone.
    Managed to replace outer chainring without getting crank off, will drop it into a bike shop for an official verdict … and buy a Shimano replacement!
    Didn’t take the outer self extractor off btw

captmorgan
    Free Member

I bind the crank arm to the chain stay with para cord and then use a 2ft breaker bar to get these undone. Often the are very tight.

orangeboy
    Free Member

They can be very tight . Just make sure the 8mm Allen key is a good fit and use a big bar.

amd yes turn it anti clockwise

tillydog
    Free Member

Didn’t take the outer self extractor off btw

Doh! That’s me looking at the wrong end of the crank. Must pay more attention!

gkeeffe

Worst design ever…. bind crank to chain stay – get a f++king big bar and stand well back! They take some shifting… I have one at the moment I can’t get off, no matter how hard I push – decided in the end to ride it into the ground.

DezB
    Free Member

They can be very tight

Indeed! Doesn’t help that I have an injured arm, but no way I could budge that.

DezB
    Free Member

Update (if anyone cares!) – had a practice on my (newer than the FSA) RaceFace crank and found a technique of 1 foot on the pedal, weight on the wrench, push down with arms. Undid the RF fairly easily, so had another go at my son’s bike and after a couple of CRACK!s it shifted. BB bearings were pretty shot so he has a nice new XT on there now (thanks to STW classifieds) and my lord the shifting is soooo much better 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘FSA/Truvativ crank removal help please!’ is closed to new replies.