Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • FSA The Pig Headset
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Is this headset ok for a Cove Handjob frame? lbs has one cheap and i need a new headset for the build, keep reading its chunky tho.

Also the Orbit xl II is discontinued according to the 2009 FSA product list.

Not got much to spend 20 quid really any advice?

squattingmouse
    Free Member

I’ve got one in an inbred, another in a kona roast and they’re both fine. It is a bit of a porker but keeps running really well if you just show it some TLC about mid-winter.

Plus loose ball bearings are dirt cheap to replace.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Had one on my Rock Lobster – seemed fine – new owner seems happy with it. It’s a bit chunky but seems well-built (certainly for the price) and certainly up to the job imo.

bomberman
    Free Member

Theyre rubbish! they’re not cartridge bearings and if you do any riding in the wet the bearings will rust and leave a brown muddy paste. after that its just a matter of time before it dies. Tell your lbs you can get an FSA XL2 on ebay for 22 quid. DO NOT buy the pig!

bomberman
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lasted 3 years of peaks/bolehills abuse on my trailstar. Then i sold it, AFAIK its spending it retirement gracefully plummeting down cumcarn DH track.

King headsets will outlast your frame, pig’s will outlast you.

if you have access to a pillar drill and suitable clamps then drill a small holes (emphisis on small, very very small) in the lower cup, makes injecting grease easier. Unless your a mechanical numptie they’r fine, and even if you are, as log as you keep takig up the slack in the headset it’ll still last a coule of years.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had one on my HJ for 18 months or so now and no problems to report at all.

Jamie
    Free Member

I had a FSA Pig Pro on my Rock Lobster, merlin seem to use/used them on most their builds. It was still working fine when i sold it a year later. Currently have one fitted to my Dialled Alpine which has been out in all weathers and thrown off all things. For the price they are pretty hard to beat IMHO.

mark_b
    Free Member

I’ve got two. Eventually had the replace the bearings (£3 for a bag full to do both headsets) but they are still going fine after three years.

Doubt you’d find anything comparable at that price.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“after that its just a matter of time before it dies”

wrong, they do go rusty, but despite the brown water running out of them they just seem to keep going as I think they use quite large ball bearings. You can always replace the BBs if they disintagrate, but I never had to do that in threee years of all weather riding and regular hosing off afterwards.

cheap and cheerful but last a good while IME

Coyote
    Free Member

Coyote Dual with 3800 miles on it:

Replaced.

Gear Cables + outers
    Brake Pads
    Chain
    Chain rings
    Cassette
    Bottom Bracket
    Grips
    Tyres
    Brake fluid

Constants:

Frame
    Wheels
    Forks
    Bars
    FSA PIG HEADSET

Truly fit and forget!

bomberman
    Free Member

mine developed play and had to be replaced but other people seem to have had better experiences 🙂

walleater

If it develops play then you just take the slack up with the SFN….

samuri
    Free Member

I used to use them all the time. I had one in my inbred, 5 years, it outlasted the inbred, and I really screw components, ask anyone. Bit heavy and yes, clean it and stick some new grease in it once a year but hardcore, yes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘FSA The Pig Headset’ is closed to new replies.