Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • FSA Orbit ITA headset not going back together properly
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Have switched the above from one frame to another, but the upper bearing seems to not be seating properly in the upper cup – when putting the bearing back in and placing the upper bearing cap onto the steerer there is about a 5mm visible gap between cap and upper cup.
    It seems like the upper race is getting in the way as when removed everything goes back together flat again.

My bearing is sitting pretty much exactly flush with the top face of the upper cup – but when I compare it to another similar FSA headset (below) you can see the upper bearing sitting a couple MM (at least) below the cup face.

I’ve trying convincing the bearing to press further into the cup by rigging it up carefully with my headset press, but It’s not budging and I’m not willing to press any harder. I’m under the impression that the bearings are pretty much supposed to drop into place anyway, much like my lower one does?

Does anyone have any experience of this? What am I doing wrong?

Poopscoop

Hiya,

Using a process of elimination, is there anything new being used? Ie. Upper cup swapped over but is the bearing new?

If nothing new, the upper setup obviously seated ok in its old frame?

blader1611
    Free Member

I have one of those headsets and its a tight fit getting the cap to go fully down. I have to wiggle the steerer a bit whilst pressing down on the cap so that at some point while doing this the steerer is exactly central allowing enough room all around for the tap cap to slip in to. Only other thing i can think of is to check steerer tube width for any discrepency which might be causing the tight fit.

coatesy
    Free Member

Without wanting to treat you like a total numpty (though it’s often a wise move), have you fitted the bearing upside down so the tapered seat is at the top?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Thanks for answers so far.

So, same headset with no new parts, same fork from previous set up which went together perfectly, frame is literally the only new component.
    Bearing is correct side up, with chamfer pointing down.

Only thing I can think is that I attempted to fit headset cups with my own press, but couldn’t get them to go in straight as I don’t have 44mm adapters – I ran down to LBS who fitted cups for me with no issue. Everything looks straight but I suppose a small amount of kink to upper cup could cause interference problems with getting the bearing in?..

Can anyone confirm if their upper bearing seats below the face of upper cup – or level with it?

slimjim78
    Free Member

So!

Back to LBS, no joy getting bearing in place with soft mallet etc, and recommended I fit new headset. Asked them to remove top cup to see if possible to press bearing in without it being in frame (ie, when not under tension), removed top cup – I literally pressed the bearing in fully by hand.

Moral of story, press top cup in to frame with bearing already in situ. Amazing how tight the tolerances must be.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘FSA Orbit ITA headset not going back together properly’ is closed to new replies.