Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • FS ignorance – is this normal?
  • barffy
    Free Member

Now my build has tyres and a seat I can bounce on it. I’ve noticed that after leaving it overnight, if I sit on it the shock is really stiff at first then after a few bounces it goes back to being plush. The bike has been laid up unused since at least before Christmas. Is it going to be something that should free itself up or do I book it in for a service? I’d been considering sending it off to Loco/TF just as a matter of course before I noticed this but all my riding pal’s said just use as is for now.

It’s a large volume Monarch RT3 by the way….

Ta,

Harry.

shermer75
    Free Member

That sounds weird, I haven’t come across that before. How long have you had it for? Is it still in warranty?

thepurist

Sounds like the seals are a bit dry and getting some stiction. A relube would be my first action – IIRC monarchs use a slick grease on the seals.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Sounds like a bit of stiction in the seals, which then goes away after a few bounces have moved some lube around. Probably due to it sitting a while?

kimbers

ime the monarch sealing isnt the best

whack some teflon lube round the seals, have a bounce see if it loosens up

failing that
    Id open it up and inspect the chamber ( mine was full of dirty water) clean, re-lube

see how it goes

barffy
    Free Member

No idea what i’m doing with shocks! I know there is an air chamber in the shaft of the do i need to de-pressurize this in addition to the main air can?

Not in warranty, it is a used frame I got before christmas that has been sitting in the garage whilst i got together the parts to build it up. I don’t have brakes yet, otherwise i would be riding it to see if it loosened up! Think i’ll get some teflon spray lube all over it as a first plan of action!

thepurist

barfly:

1. Make note of shock pressure & rebound settings before you start fettling.
    2. Depressurise shock in frame
    3. With shock still attached start unscrewing air can
    4. Take shock off bike
    5. Strip off shock mounting hardware from bottom of shaft if necessary
    5a. Clean outside of shock, go somewhere clean & wash your hands.
    6. Make properly sure there’s no pressure in the shock then unscrew air can the rest of the way
    7. Pull it off (there will be some resistance)
    8. Clean & relube seals
    9. Reverse the above (slowing rebound right down can help you get the can threaded back on).

barffy
    Free Member

So I don’t have to touch the ‘other’ pressurised part of the shock in the shaft itself?

Many thanks for that quick guide by the way!

thepurist

Nope – it’s a similar process to the FOX air can service which you can find all sorts of blurb about on line. Just use something like Stendec fork grease (think RS specify Parker O Lube if you can find it) in place of the Float Fluid.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Are your linkage bearings in good order? A dry stiff bearing could cause this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘FS ignorance – is this normal?’ is closed to new replies.