Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Fry ups.
  • zippykona

Away on business and as usual there’s the breakfast buffet.
    Always have fruit and yoghurt then a fry up.
    3 days in and I really struggled with it and tomorrow it will be just fruit.
    How many days can you do a fry up for?

footflaps

Always have fruit and yoghurt then a fry up.

Well there’s your mistake!

honeybadgerx

When I started a new job in the midlands a few years back, the company put me up in a B&B for a month until I got somewhere to live sorted. I made the decision not to have a single cooked breakfast, as once I started…

For a full breakfast probably no more than two days I reckon, but if we’re just talking butties I could probably manage every day 😳

hilldodger
    Free Member

Deoends if you’re going to spend the day doing “Real man’s work” or twatting about behind a screen 😛

spacemonkey

I never touch fruit/yoghurt/cereal when away. Leaves more room for the fry up.

How many days can I last? All of them. Anything less just would not compute.

fasthaggis

Depends if you’re going to spend the day doing “Real man’s work” or twatting about behind a screen

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

zippykona

My day consists of following my wife around the NEC while she spends shit loads of money and i play on my phone. So yeah,pretty full on.
    One guy this morning must have had double everything as it would barely fit on his plate. Felt sick just looking at it.

nedrapier

Depends, there are fry-ups and fry-ups – budget sales rep hotel on a quiet morning, sausages made of smooth pink mush, stiff bacon that’s been out for a while, fried eggs also been out for a while, all swimming in cheap yellow oil, fried bread. Hardly any time at all, probably give it a swerve from first glance.

Good quality everything, cooked to order in olive oil by someone who’s good at it and cares, who knows.. Still, I might not have the full monty everything every day. Variety’s good.

But there’d be a choice of sausages, bacon cures and breads, obviously, I’d mix it up with some Stornoway black pudding every couple of days, eggs scrambled, poached or fried, depending on my mood.

The breakfast chef wouldn’t have to worry about continued employment, put it that way.

spacemonkey

Depends, there are fry-ups and fry-ups – budget sales rep hotel on a quiet morning, sausages made of smooth pink mush, stiff bacon that’s been out for a while, fried eggs also been out for a while, all swimming in cheap yellow oil, fried bread. Hardly any time at all, probably give it a swerve from first glance.

Yep, avoid at all costs.

rickmeister

Ah, those connective tissue tubes masquerading as sausages… avoid… but a well cooked full on breakfast is a joy to behold..

mogrim

Good quality everything, cooked to order in olive oil by someone who’s good at it and cares, who knows.. Still, I might not have the full monty everything every day. Variety’s good.

Much as I like olive oil, which is fortunate living in Spain, but… For a fry up???

zippykona

To be fair its all good quality stuff and they even have all you can eat hazel nuts to go on top of my yoghurt.

brakes
    Free Member

I could eat eggs every morning.
    Bacon/ sausages I can only manage once or twice a week – normally have it once a week as a Friday treat.
    Anything pre-cooked at 5am and then just kept warm under a light bulb will get avoided.

Much as I like olive oil, which is fortunate living in Spain, but… For a fry up???

you can blame the fat-lipped Jamie Oliver for that one. olive oil on anything and everything. I use a sunflower/ butter mix.

ton

I eat eggs every morning, some way or other, I eat bacon a couple of times a week.
    full house every morning would be too much for me tho.

kcal

I think there’s something hugely satisfying about a made-to-order fry-up, in a small hotel, when on a biking holiday — just feels right — experienced this in the Tarbert Hotel (Harris) – excellent – and also on small hotel in Skye (Sconser Lodge); could see the kitchens through the back..

tomhoward

over the summer I was working away 4-5 days a week, so tried a variety of hotels and cooked breakfasts, ranging from the absolute worst (travelodge, 6 items, 2 of which were different types of egg, one was toast….) to some very excellent (raddisson blu, OMG). by the end of the sixth week, I disgusted myself by only having one fry up a week. I just couldnt face them, no matter how delicious they were. Plus I’d put on about 2 stone, about 17% of my normal weight!

shuhockey
    Free Member

Olive Oil 🙄 Southerner?
    If it’s not fried in Lard then it ain’t a fry up… The previous days/weeks grease is also allowed.

ransos
    Free Member

Good quality everything, cooked to order in olive oi

Egg fried in olive oil? Yuk!

grievoustim
    Free Member

On Sunday I had what was basically a hipster sausage and egg mcmuffin for breakfast.

High quality sausage patty, perfect poached egg and mustardy sauce in a brioche bun. With a perfect flat white

Reckon I could eat one of them daily for a very long time

nedrapier

Olive oil thing comes from something I read a while ago about how oils degrade when they’re heated. Veg, sunflower, rapeseed, degrade and the oils become less healthy, Olive oil doesn’t as much and stays better for you.

Can’t remember any of the actual details, so this is what my dad would refer to as a “half-baked little factlet”

nedrapier

And yes, I like the taste! 🙂 It’s not all super strong favoured, either.

mogrim

Egg fried in olive oil? Yuk!

Tastes fine, like I said I live in Spain and it’s pretty much unavoidable. But for a real top-quality fry up? No.

D0NK

Veg, sunflower, rapeseed, degrade and the oils become less healthy,

so using oil for what it’s intended makes it bad for you? are you sure this wasn’t for stuff like re-using oil for deep fat frying? getting very hot several times?

Sunflower oil for frying for me but in my fryups only the bread is actually fried. Seem to recall my mum made me a fried egg butty when I was a kid and it tasted awful, she’d used olive oil dunno if it was some cheap n nasty stuff or extra virgin or what, pretty sure I’ve used olive oil for eggs when I was out of sunflower and it was ok.

At a hotel if the fryup was passable I could probably eat it everyday, by about the thrid day I may start with good intentions, eat yoghurt fruit cereal whatever, then cave in and have a bacon and egg sarnie at the least

mogrim

Starving now…

Anyway, to the OP: can manage a week without problems on holiday. Probably at 9am rather than 7am, which might make a difference.

spacemonkey

On Sunday I had what was basically a hipster sausage and egg mcmuffin for breakfast.

High quality sausage patty, perfect poached egg and mustardy sauce in a brioche bun. With a perfect flat white

We occasionally make these at home by cheating. Our butcher does the most amazing olive sausages which we skin and then roll/flatten into a patty. Serve with egg of choice, a slice of plastic cheese and inbetween whatever you choose; muffin, bread, wrap, bap …

Proper nom.

marcus7
    Free Member

If im away with work then fried breakfast mainly as i book my own hotels so make sure they are half decent. Last time i was away with just the Mrs I stayed at the salutation in ambleside and had their “double”, holy mother of god! it was very good but i didn’t eat till the following day! and didnt repeat the experience…. recommended though for you hearty eaters…

gogg
    Free Member

It must have good quality sausages x2 (Debbie & Andrews of Harrogate for example, proper meaty ones), Thick sliced back bacon x2, black pudding x2, grilled tomato, mushrooms, beans, 1 slice of fried bread, 2 buttered toast, hash brown (proper stuff, not McCains), eggs x2 fried or poached are acceptable. Brown Sauce.

Big mug of decent coffee (sorry not a tea drinker unless with Scones, Jam & clotted cream).

Sets me up for a day in the office….

zippykona

We once had a fry up with quails eggs put on top of the black pudding.
    Proper posh.

ransos
    Free Member

Tastes fine, like I said I live in Spain and it’s pretty much unavoidable. But for a real top-quality fry up? No.

I tried egg fried in olive oil once, when I’d run out of sunflower oil. Minging.

nealglover
    Free Member

For a ten hour day outdoors on a building site, fry up every day, forever (starving by lunchtime!)

For an eight hour day, sat indoors at a desk, two days max.

jamiea
    Free Member

It was hard going doing my ML training at Plas y Brenin; I lasted 3 days of the full fry-up and afternoon cake before going down to bacon & egg sarnies then after 4 days fruit and cereal. It was a relief to do the overnight wild camp and not be tempted by all the great grub they serve up!

Cheers,
    Jamie

zilog6128

Olive oil thing comes from something I read a while ago about how oils degrade when they’re heated. Veg, sunflower, rapeseed, degrade and the oils become less healthy, Olive oil doesn’t as much and stays better for you.

Can’t remember any of the actual details, so this is what my dad would refer to as a “half-baked little factlet”Otherwise known as – a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

You are right that oils degrade when they are heated over a certain point (smoke point), but it’s olive oil that has a low one which is why it shouldn’t be used for frying. Cooking with olive oil over a low heat is fine, but it’s best used for dressing or as a dip, etc.

Personally I avoid refined oils like sunflower, vegetable, rape seed, like the plague and stick to lard, butter or cold-pressed rape seed for frying/roasting/etc.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

When i worked on a building site we had a fry up every day, used to see how many different things we could get on a sandwich, bacon, sausage, egg, beans, black pudding, mushrooms, toms and cheese, it was a killer using a shovel after necking that lot down.

nedrapier

I’ve just had a spin round on google, and there seem to be just as many items saying it’s better as there saying its worse.

Given how many times “they” have changed their mind about whether certain fats are good for you or deadly, I’m just going to carry on as I am. I don’t let oil smoke anyway.

Edit: Actually, I will have a bit more of a look into it. Ta.

ads678

At home i’ll tend to do an ‘oven up’ rather than fry up these days or at least grill the bacon and sausage.

But if it’s a greasy spoon we’re talking about, the more oily thumb prints the better!!

Yak

oooh – I could do this everyday, but I wouldn’t as don’t do a tough calorie intensive job.

I have done this before as part of a weight-gain programme though. Double everything for breakfast everyday for over half a year. Got the extra stone on as required. Didn’t get bored of it either.

zilog6128

I have done this before as part of a weight-gain programme though. Double everything for breakfast everyday for over half a year. Got the extra stone on as required.

Are you Robert De Niro?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Deoends if you’re going to spend the day doing “Real man’s work” or twatting about behind a screen

😆

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

when iam away on training courses we stay in premier inns and i always have the cooked brekkie but then iam not paying so would be rude not too 2/3 of everything(i do man work so burnt off by tea time) 😀

Yak

Are you Robert De Niro?

ha! no, I used to row and because of my small size I was in the bow seat in an 8. The coach for some reason must have not realised how small I was when he picked me as everyone else was 12-14.5st. When he found out I was 10.5st, he went batshitmental and told me put a stone on by blah blah race or I’m out. So lots of food consumed and lots of training and it worked…just.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Fry ups.’ is closed to new replies.